Anyone Else Recently Build A Bad@** PC in Reponse to upcoming 1.1?

scribbleheli

Me reading this post

22 hours ago, scribbleheli said:

Core I7 6700k@ 4.8Ghz 

Alright that's pretty awesome

64GB SDD just for KSP, 500gb SSD as primary boot, 1Tb HDD storage.

Damn, that's pretty awesome. SSD just for KSP is a dream come true.

16Gb

Damn.

DDR4

DAMN.

@2400Mhz

DAMN.

GTX 760OC

Aite. You might get a bit of a bottleneck with that processor though. Hope you get that 980 ti!

Anyway, here my specs for the curious:

CPU: AMD FX 6350 6 Core @3.9 GHZ
CPU Fan: Noctua NH-C14 CPU Cooler(WAAAAY overkill for my CPU, though it does keep it cool and gives me room to overclock.)
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 750TI(It's my humble little card :D)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory (Just a stick...a humble one at that)
Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ (Amazing motherboard ,for a decent price too! This thing saved my newbie life when I was building my computer. It has lights on it that shows which component isn't working properly.)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive(Nice little hard drive for a good price)

There's my humble computer. Sorry for the giant post.

I wanna put my specs in too!

3570k@ 4.6ghz

Asrock extreme6

Corsair h100i

16gb's ram

2x 240 gb ocz ssd's

2x 1tb WD black spinny drives

970gtx ssc

I may be upgrading to either a 6700k/6600k or a 5820k soon though...I just have to decide if the slight improvement is worth the cash..or if I'd rather dump it in to my jeep.

23 hours ago, scribbleheli said:

I'm Super Stoked about 1.1. So I saved up all my Christmas money, Work Bonus, and even a little Grant funds to build a Skylake PC.

Core I7 6700k@ 4.8Ghz 

Asus Range 8

64GB SDD just for KSP, 500gb SSD as primary boot, 1Tb HDD storage.

16Gb DDR4 @2400Mhz (another 16 is in the Que if KSP can make use of it)

Liquid cooled goodness Cosair H100i

GTX 760OC windforce (Hopefully tax refund gets a 980 ti)

Anyone else build I high end PC just because they were excited about 1.1?

No, because with unity five the game will utilize more of my PC!

here are mine 

Spoiler

Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
CPU
    AMD FX-9590    44 °C
    Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
    24.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
    ASRock 990FX Extreme6 (CPUSocket)    25 °C
Graphics
    S27D390 (1920x1080@60Hz)
    DELL 1704FPV (1280x1024@75Hz)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (Gigabyte)    24 °C
Storage
    1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EZRX-00D8PB0 ATA Device (SATA)    21 °C
    931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-75ZF5A0 (SATA)    26 °C
    186GB Western Digital WDC WD2000JD-22HBB0 (SATA)

16 minutes ago, scribbleheli said:
16 minutes ago, scribbleheli said:

With every ones high over clocks. What kind of real world temps do you get?

Specifically, playing KSP launching your largest craft?

The quoting system in the new boards sucks....anyway My highest temp is right around 60c, while benchmarking with 3dmark.

34 minutes ago, scribbleheli said:

About 35C GPU, 40-45C on CPU under max load, typically both around 30C when on KSP. That is my water cooled desktop though, my Surface tablet generally around 55C on games.

1 hour ago, scribbleheli said:

I didn't have a large craft handy, so I just tried launching this 424 part super-heavy lifter from KerbalX in to LKO. CPU temps spiked up to 52ish, but were mostly in the 45-50 range. The GPU, which is still aircooled, was also mostly in the 40-45 degree range. Here's the psensor graph for most of the ascent.

Spoiler

AjBegGi.png

On 27-1-2016 at 9:57 AM, OrtwinS said:

[snip] my aging notebook

[snip] almost 5 years old.

ASUS N53SV   with   i7 2630QM (2-2.9 GHz), GT540m, and 10 GB of RAM

[snip]

22 hours ago, KasperVld said:

I recently bought a new computer...[snip]

It's quite a step up from the old system...[snip]

Old system specs: i7 3630, 12GB DDR 3 RAM, 250GB SSD, GTX 650M

Do you still have a use/need for that old system? ;)

@scribbleheli, I think people came a bit hard on you because the first post seems to imply you build that monster PC for KSP only, which would have been quite the overkill. 

Since it isn't a complete new PC, but a continious build and you actually use it for other stuff all those objections don't matter.

Great machine! 

@OrtwinS

I got that impression.

Though it is a constant upgrade process. "New computer" to me means New mobo and cpu. Because that's the brain and spine of any pc thats gets built around.

Obviously no computer, even the titan supercomputer has a single task.

But KSP was the driveing factor behind the upgrade.

I knew it was time for a new computer, and throughout all my shopping and research, the number one question was "will this make ksp better, will my parts count and fps go up?"

The 6700k has the fastest single core and ipc of the commercial market. So once the cpu was chosen. Everything was how to make the cpu run better. Ddr4, ocing motherboard, ssd and ect.

Second to that was wanting Oculus rift. For quite sadistic reasons it turns out. My GF can't even play walking dead or deadspace without hyperventilating and needing extended pause breaks every time she runs into an enemy. Or even thinks there's an enemy nearby.( scary noises)

So rift + alien isolation sounds like a good time :D

Anyway, thanks for the kind words

On 27/01/2016 at 0:59 PM, katateochi said:

@KasperVld do you know (roughly) what sorta specs the QA team's machines are? Would be interesting to know how our machines compare to the ones KSP is tested on. 

My computer here has the following:

• Intel i5-3570k at stock clock.
  • Overclocked Nvidia GTX770
  • 32GB RAM
  • 1TB SSD
  • Running KSP at 1920x1200.

It's a pretty high mid range setup here these days, the GPU doesn't keep up with recent games. However, it provides a very good testbed for KSP. My other machine here I regularly test on is a mid-2014 Retina Macbook Pro with the Intel Iris integrated graphics. It's considerably lower end on the performance, but does play KSP well enough to test with.

The rest of the QA Team have pretty varied setups - I'll pass them this thread and I'm sure they'll share their setups. :)

My computer is made from random bits over the years, but recently (this week in fact) had a few upgrades.

AMD A10-5800k APU (Radeon HD7880)

Nvidia GTX 650, nvidia-352 proprietary driver.

16 gigabytes 1600 memory (new, upgrade from 4 gigs 1333).

Xubuntu 15.10 and KSP sits on a brand new 1 terabyte drive.

All held together by an Asus F2A 55-M LK series motherboard.

I still have an optical drive, and a USB floppy disk drive.

The other new part was a EV3A 650 GQ PSU.

I'm waiting for 1.1 to be released. If it works with my current machine (which I bought in early 2013) - fine. If not I've got a good reason to start looking for a new machine.

Edited by lodger
Typo

I'll be sticking with my 6-year-old AMD Phenom II 955 / GeForce 9800 GTX setup, which wasn't exactly top-of-the-line even when I built it. I haven't had any KSP problems (though I haven't ever built any huge monsters). Or for that matter, any other games I actually play.

Thought about upgrading last year, but bought a laptop instead. Don't use it that much, but it was probably the better choice for me. I might do some computer builds with my sons in a couple of years, and I'll just wait for any upgrades until then, unless components (other than fans) start breaking.

@Ted @Porkjet @sal_vager @Squelch @Mu - Thanks for replying guys! 

I guess my setup is somewhere in between/bit below those, it's a bit lacking in the CPU department.  It's a "made of out parts found on the side of the road" machine, cobbled together over the years! 
i7 @ 3.05GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX960 + GTX 460 (for physX) on ASUS rampage III extreme MB.
500GB SSD for OSs and some games, 300GB 10,000rpm WD Raptor for games + another 4TB over several 7200rpm disks (and a 1kw psu, cos disks).
It's a few years old and now to upgrade the CPU I'd need to upgrade the MB and that pretty much means gotta upgrade the RAM too.  Gonna have to wait for that I think.

1 hour ago, Porkjet said:

- 1920 x 1200 monitor (16:10 aspect master race)

Is there any other res? ;)

24 minutes ago, Mu said:

cup of tea

That's mandatory!!

I wish I still had a 16:10 monitor .... but I traded it out. It was old, and small (19.5"). I havent done any major upgrades to my system specifically for KSP, but there are a few things I'd like to do.

Current Specs:

• AMD FX8530 @ 4.02GHz, 8 core
    • Factory cooling, not-factory thermal grease
  • Powercolor AXR9 270 GPU w/ 2GB GDDR5
  • 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
  • 600W Corsair PSU
  • 1TB WD Blue 2700RPM HDD
  • ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z motherboard

I want to add 8 more GB of RAM, could use a second hard drive (would love an SSD but I need another 1TB for storage first), and am also keeping an eye out to do a chipset/mobo swap. AMD has been great to me but I want to go Intel (mostly for KSP).

Quick question: Is it worth getting 8 more GB of DDR3 when I'll probably be going for a DDR4 mobo when I finally upgrade (which is a lot further out than a possible RAM upgrade)?

On 1/27/2016 at 0:03 PM, RocketSquid said:

What are the minimum specs for 1.1?

I'm pretty sure it is an XBox1 (or a PS4, most of the difference is in the clock rates and GPU).  Only specially sourced mobile processors have less CPU grunt than one of these.  You might get away with less GPU specs (especially if you play less than at 1080 resolution).  I'm reasonably certain the minimum [GPU] specs won't go up and you could just change the settings to match the old game.

I was planning on upgrading the whole rig for Occulus Rift, but with the pricing shock and wondering how it will compare to value's system (and possible others), it looks like it can wait.

Note that the clear winner for KSP<1.1 is probably an overclocked Pentium G3258 (newegg has them for $70), especially for the price.  With 1.1, it should be able to stick any parallel threads on the second processor.  Don't expect machines with 4-8 threads to magically have less limits than the lowly 1.1 (it is rare that limiting factors scale linearly).

The taxman was kind to me recently, so I was able to build something completely ridiculous compared to what I would normally build. :D

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz
    32.0GB DDR3
    GTX 980 Ti

It also has three seperate SSD(256, 120, 64) and 5TB of HDD storage.

Edited by Fleb

I also recently put together a 4790K buid, with 32GB RAM, but with a 250GB SSD primary drivbe and a 500GB secondary SSD for my game installations. I have the  GTX 970Ti, running dual monitors with 1920x1200 on my primary, 1680x1050 on the secondary.  Eventually I'll get a second 970 and proper cooler, and start overclocking, but right now it handles pretty much everything I throw at it like a dream. I'm mostly just playing KSP, Fallout 4, Elite: Dangerous/Horizons, and eventually Star Citizen.

The 4790K is great bang for your buck if you're a clocker,

Edited by Tandoori

3 hours ago, katateochi said:

@Ted @Porkjet @sal_vager @Squelch @Mu - Thanks for replying guys! 

I guess my setup is somewhere in between/bit below those, it's a bit lacking in the CPU department.  It's a "made of out parts found on the side of the road" machine, cobbled together over the years! 
i7 @ 3.05GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX960 + GTX 460 (for physX) on ASUS rampage III extreme MB.
500GB SSD for OSs and some games, 300GB 10,000rpm WD Raptor for games + another 4TB over several 7200rpm disks (and a 1kw psu, cos disks).
It's a few years old and now to upgrade the CPU I'd need to upgrade the MB and that pretty much means gotta upgrade the RAM too.  Gonna have to wait for that I think.

Is there any other res? ;)

That's mandatory!!

please explain the dual gpus?

hows that possible?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.