Mechjeb=cheating

Perotis

I now there are some people who feel that mechjeb is cheating in KSP.  And I can understand where that feeling comes from.  But my take in it is that it's like using a calculator for doing math.  When you are first learning your basic arithmetic, using a calculator is  definitely cheating.  But once you know how to do the basics and move on to more complicated math, the calculator is a tool that is used to that frees you up to concentrate on the task at hand rather than doing the 'basic' math. 

This kind of mirrors my path through KSP.  I've 'paid my dues' learning how to the basics (launch, land, rendezvous, dock, etc...).  but now that I've installed Mechjeb and unlocked the ascent/landing modules in the tech tree, it frees me up to spend less time on the 'basic' tasks and focus on doing the missions.

This again? Oh please. Let's complain about how <insert part name here> is not <powerful enough | too powerful | the wrong colour for my preference>. Or perhaps you'd like to have a serious discussion comparing the merits of visiting Eeloo vs. Moho?

We definitively need more threads like this.

Because there's only 12.420 threads that are nearly identical to this one.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, razark said:

Personally, I think KSP is cheating, and the only proper way to simulate rocketry is with a pencil, slide rule, and half a ton of graph paper.

Slide rule? Luxury! Real rocket scientists use an abacus.

4 minutes ago, AbacusWizard said:

But real Kerbal rocket scientists use dice.

Like these:
ifzN4Ks.jpg

Edited by razark

8 minutes ago, AbacusWizard said:

You had an abacus?  Lucky sod.  Real rocket scientists use their remaining fingers.

37 minutes ago, Perotis said:

I now there are some people who feel that mechjeb is cheating in KSP.

[trying to resist urge to be sarcastic]

If it isn't obvious from all the other replies, we've had this conversation several times in the past. (About once a week since MechJeb was first introduced a few years ago, far as I can tell.) Although one or two people might give you a hard time about it, the general feeling on this forum (Reddit might have a different view, I wouldn't know as I never go there) seems to be that what mods you use in your own game is your own business, and the only time using MechJeb is definitely cheating is if you use it in a challenge in which it is specifically prohibited. Whether you feel you're cheating yourself by using it is entirely up to you.

Me, I use it left and right, but if you're into coding/scripting I do think there's something to be said for having a go at writing your own autopilot in kOS. Not everybody's cup of tea, but I've been messing with it lately and it's incredibly satisfying to watch a rocket fly to orbit on guidance software I wrote myself.

10 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

This type of thread is EXACTLY the reason squad MUST, NEED to make mechjeb stock. Once they do this bs of validation seeking will stop. Mechjeb proud since .21!

SQUAD must create a rule prohibiting discussions like "what is cheating in KSP" for the forums, that's what they must do.

3 minutes ago, Aperture Science said:

SQUAD must create a rule prohibiting discussions like "what is cheating in KSP" for the forums, that's what they must do.

Seconded. I'm getting tired of seeing titles that are not much more than attention-grabbing-whiny-blah blah blah threads.

32 minutes ago, razark said:

Personally, I think KSP is cheating, and the only proper way to simulate rocketry is with a pencil, slide rule, and half a ton of graph paper.

Simulation is cheating. If your design is so good, you should be able to build it and launch it for real!

If automation was the default, my favorite must-have mod would probably be "WASD-rocket-controls".