[writing] i couldnt have been luckier

hi, this is my first story, and first post! hope you like it.

basic summary(the thing you would ffind on the back of a book)

this is a story about vanyow the luckiest \'naut to have flown in jebs seat. this is his story about getting stranded on minmus and returning to tell the tale.

chapter 1: onboard the mighty craft

hi, im Vanyow Kerman an astronaught, and my story is unlike alot of astronaughts, as any who in the past had been in this situation have perished. so on with it...

it starts like any other launch, saying goodbye to family and friends and getting ready. about 2 hours to launch. i walk over to the launchpad look up at the mighty engines above me, and the even taller craft they are supporting, about 300 metres tall. steping back i realise the launch gantry tower doesnt reach the command module. a bit worried i head back to mission controll to the final briefing, hoping that might clear this up. *during mission briefing* 'and now for boarding the craft, as you 3 astornamits or whatever they call you, may have noticed the tall red tower thingy doesnt reach your metal house jigythingamabob Jeb and i have put some ladders to reach it.' the designer explains. im very worried, if he doesnt even know the name of the capsule im going to be living in for the next few weeks, how did the rocket get built? *off to the craft* im suited up, walking through the memorial hall, this hall has the names of every astronaught that has made an acheivement or was K.I.A looking through the names

Jeb 'thrillmaster' kerman

achievments: first kerbal in space, longest time spent in space, MACHINE ERROR NOT ENOUGH RO-

Bill kerman

achievements: first kerbal in space

bob kerman

achievements: first kerbal in space, first engineer on space

suddely i hear someone call 'vanyow! vanyow stop daydreaming hurry up and get to the tower!' not worrying about who it is i run as fast as possible as you can in a space suit towrds the tower. i get to the lift, the others must already be up there i thought.

Clunk verrrrrrrrrrr the lift heads up the tower to the craft. when i arrive the first thing i hear

'oh you, i was getting worried you are 2 minutes late!!! and also a bit of a problem, the other two already know but we just realised that aswell as the ladders you are going to need to use these butcher knifes to strafe your way around to the ladders, as we have accidentaly put the door on the wrong side of the tower... all you have to do is use these knifes as hinges to walk around to the ladder, it also means you have to seal the door up yourself, so hear is the blowtorch, and here is the ignition key' the mission briefer says as he nudges me towards the knifes which go around to the ladders. i carefully go over the knifes to the ladder which i climb, get into the capsule and settle into my pilots seat, strapping myself in. 2 minutes to liftoff, all systems check, i have some spare time so i pull out my telescope and try and find my family in the crowd. last time i saw them was next to the oldest spacecraft known, the OMG-it-made-it-to-the-black-place-above-us-mk1 looking over there, all i see is a dog, peeing on the now very weak engine that is holding it up, the dogs urine breaks the metal enough so the entire spaceship falls over ontop of it and its owner, startling everyone around it. liftoff in 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 a deafening sound is heard, the co-pilot still with his finger on the giant red button which i had told him he could press. first stage seperation complete, the ge forces grow high, i activate the mechjeb, with my last strength as i pass out.

Chapter 2: This couldnt go worse

I wake up. i check the map, we are in a perfect circular orbit, just as i told mechjeb to do. i look at my 2 mates. their ski now light blue. no heartbeat. they havn\'t survived the forces. i check the radio, dead. suddenly the engines activate, my apposapsis goes higher, higher and then the map shows soi change to minmus. welp too late to abort now... i decide to sleep until soi change.

i wake up to the soi change alert i had set,its been about 2 days im well rested ready for whatever life throws at me, i mean what else could go wrong. no communications, no crewmates the only advantage is i can stay for longer, as i now have more zoxygene to myself. i shorten the orbit to about 3 km above the surface of minmus. about 10 minutes to appoapsis the ship is thrown around, explosions below in a desperate survival attempt i seperate everything but the lander stage and check my trajectory, 1 min to surface imact. i set the lander up but i wont slow down enough for safe landing, i brace for surface impact. BAM the ship lands, a bit too hard, knocking one of the landing legs off the ship. it comes crashing down to the surface of minmus. door blocked towards the floor, my only escape now the blowtorch i sued to seal myself up. i look around to see the only viewing window smashed. worried i run over and see the blowtorch sitting just out of reach on the outside of the craft. realising my fate i quickly out on my helmet and attach the zo2 system directly to me suit.

Chapter 3: accidental rescue is the option that is picked

with nothing to do, no point in living as my life is hanging on the cord that runs into my suit keeping me alive i look at the cyanide pill in the pak i was given, i think about it and accept that im going to die, so i take it. crunch, wait a sec this isnt cyanide, its a red jellybean. it looks exactly like the one they are using for that matrix movie. i feel sorry for the actor who got my proper pill. i collapse to sleep, not dead, but im in shock of the situation im in.

upon waking i hear footsteps outside and then 'hey, is anyone alive in there?' a voice calls

in a hurried celebration i quickly disconect myself from the zo2 system i run over 'yes im alive, please help, im stuck in here the door is on the ground'

next thing i hear is the blowtorch cutting through the window it smashed. then another kerbal falls through.

'hello, im commander dornom kerman the leader of the first minmus spacestation.'

'thank you for rescuing me commander' i reply happily.'i was acepting my death till you came, i was lucky that cyanide pill was mixed up i guese.'

he takes me out and walks us both over to his ship sitting about 200 metres away from my crashed lander. as we head back up to the spacestation he informs me of what happened. as i had made my orbit i had set it on the same altitude level as the first minmus spacestation. my craft had hit the research lab section and destroyed everything but the lander stage. this is where i currently am. writing this story. i am on the minmus spacestation waiting for a rescue ship to come and take me back to kerbin. i will infrom you of the next adventures i have returning and beyond. so until then salute!

i hope you enjoyed story 1 of this adventure, this is all i can think of for now. it is my first story written. well apart from the terrible english class ones but they dont count =P hope you enjoyed it.

I do like the storyline, and the humour at the KSC\'s terrible engineering- however I recommend, as does everyone else (it seems), that you try to fix some of the grammar. It\'d make your story a much more enjoyable read.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.