[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

1 minute ago, akron said:

The only caveat is that those solar vanes would provide very little control. They would never replace actual reaction wheels.I will play around and find a reasonable and balanced number.

Oh no!  I would never expect them too nor would want them that way.  It's just that I regularly find myself replacing an experiment with an RCS unit just to get that tiny bit of extra control that I need and if that tiny bit could come from reaction wheels simulating solar pressure via the panels then so much the better.

Don't know if this is a known issue or not, but the DMagic contracts (magnetic field survey, etc) do not recognize the Coatl parts as their DMagic counterpart. For example, if the ship needs to have a magnetometer boom or RPS antenna, the Coatl version of these instruments will not fulfill the requirement; only the DMagic part will. However, the contract does recognize the experiments being run (RPS antenna reading from Low Orbit, etc)

1 hour ago, Bombaatu said:

Don't know if this is a known issue or not, but the DMagic contracts (magnetic field survey, etc) do not recognize the Coatl parts as their DMagic counterpart. For example, if the ship needs to have a magnetometer boom or RPS antenna, the Coatl version of these instruments will not fulfill the requirement; only the DMagic part will. However, the contract does recognize the experiments being run (RPS antenna reading from Low Orbit, etc)

Yea i just had the same issue with a probe needing a thermometer and not recognizing the coatl one.

I may be wrong on this because I'm not a contract writer but I think remember seeing somewhere that acceptable parts to fulfill contracts is referenced via the part name from the config.  If this is right then the contract itself would have to be changed to recognize the CA part as valid.  

@nightingale Can you shed some light on this?  I don't remember my contract syntax...

1 hour ago, rasta013 said:

I may be wrong on this because I'm not a contract writer but I think remember seeing somewhere that acceptable parts to fulfill contracts is referenced via the part name from the config.  If this is right then the contract itself would have to be changed to recognize the CA part as valid.  

@nightingale Can you shed some light on this?  I don't remember my contract syntax...

The contracts in DMOS don't use Contract Configurator - so you'd have to ask @DMagic.

For stock contract part requests check the GameData/Squad/Contracts/Contracts.cfg file. A MM patch can be used to add additional parts that will fulfill those requirements.

For Orbital Science contracts check GameData/DMagicOrbitalScience/Resources/DMContracts.cfg. The parts requested for the magnetic field and recon surveys can be changed or added to there with MM.

23 minutes ago, DMagic said:

For stock contract part requests check the GameData/Squad/Contracts/Contracts.cfg file. A MM patch can be used to add additional parts that will fulfill those requirements.

For Orbital Science contracts check GameData/DMagicOrbitalScience/Resources/DMContracts.cfg. The parts requested for the magnetic field and recon surveys can be changed or added to there with MM.

Thanks man!  Appreciate the help!

Thank you all for looking into this and providing feedback. I will add an MM patch for contracts on the next update. I am trying to do a little more than that on the next patch. Maybe I'll sneak the new RCS in BETA 13 instead :P 

I'm not sure off the top of my head what the MM syntax for adding on to an existing line is, but the fields for my contracts can be found in the DMContracts.cfg file under:

DMContracts
{
	DMMag
	{
		Magnetometer_Parts = dmmagBoom,dmUSMagBoom
		RPWS_Parts = rpwsAnt,USRPWS
	}
}

Just add additional part names separated by a comma.

23 hours ago, DMagic said:

I'm not sure off the top of my head what the MM syntax for adding on to an existing line is, but the fields for my contracts can be found in the DMContracts.cfg file under:

DMContracts
{
	DMMag
	{
		Magnetometer_Parts = dmmagBoom,dmUSMagBoom
		RPWS_Parts = rpwsAnt,USRPWS
	}
}

Just add additional part names separated by a comma.

The syntax is weird (WRT 'normal' syntax), but it goes something like this:

@DMContracts
{
	@DMMag
	{
		@Magnetometer_Parts ^= :$:,new,goodies,go,here
	}
}

The ^= signals a regex (I think), and the regex syntax here is for dollar to match the end of the existing line, and anything after the divider will get tacked on. (The ":" here is an arbitrary character that should not appear in either the string being replaced or the string being added.)

Reference the @ edit section Here.

The documentation is good, but sometimes an example is worth a thousand readthroughs :) 

Thank you. I should hopefully have time to do some mod work tonight. I will give it a try.

Other than the ISP, were there any other concerns or suggestions for the new RCS? I am thinking that I will ninja them into the the next patch for BETA 13 instead, to go along with the DM contract fix. Linkor/Fregat will wait for BETA 14 though.

7 minutes ago, akron said:

Thank you. I should hopefully have time to do some mod work tonight. I will give it a try.

Other than the ISP, were there any other concerns or suggestions for the new RCS? I am thinking that I will ninja them into the the next patch for BETA 13 instead, to go along with the DM contract fix. Linkor/Fregat will wait for BETA 14 though.

I will be trying to stream tonight if you want to show up :wink: 

Okay, so I did get a chance to work a little bit this evening. Most of it thought was dedicated to textures instead, for the new stuff. Originally the RTGs and the solar panels were in the same texture sheet as the probes. There were exported to their own texture sheet which is called "electrical" This is not easy copy/paste though, as all UV involved have to be re-done as everything gets moved to a new texture space. This is TEDIOUS work, but it will better organize textures for the future. As I did this, I took the time to update some textures and models slightly. The most changed in the pioneer RTG which now has a hand-drawn brushed metal texture in preparation for specular map. Again, a lot of work but very difficult to visualize, here are some quick pics anyway.

~Cheers

UtnLi4c.png

fUVwVgU.png

Hey guys! I knew this was going to be a slow modding week because of my work. I am trying to force myself to do some mod progress, so I am planning to do a stream tonight after all. I am aiming to do a little more mod work a less "hanging out" this time around, just so I can get caught up.

Aiming to stream roughly 6:30p-10p EST. Stop by, if you can!

The plan tonight is to continue to do the house keeping necessary to re-organize the texture structure. A lot of textures of the older probes will be semi re-done, and after some feedback, I believe some additional detail can be added to older parts. The probe cores will likely be re-mapped and touched up so that I can more easily prepare them for alternate foil textures.

~Cheers

5 hours ago, akron said:

Hey guys! I knew this was going to be a slow modding week because of my work. I am trying to force myself to do some mod progress, so I am planning to do a stream tonight after all. I am aiming to do a little more mod work a less "hanging out" this time around, just so I can get caught up.

Aiming to stream roughly 6:30p-10p EST. Stop by, if you can!

The plan tonight is to continue to do the house keeping necessary to re-organize the texture structure. A lot of textures of the older probes will be semi re-done, and after some feedback, I believe some additional detail can be added to older parts. The probe cores will likely be re-mapped and touched up so that I can more easily prepare them for alternate foil textures.

~Cheers

Super disappointed I have to be somewhere on Friday nights... anyway Have fun, Good luck and keep up the excellent work!!

4 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

Super disappointed I have to be somewhere on Friday nights... anyway Have fun, Good luck and keep up the excellent work!!

I hope you can make it one day! Or I might switch up the days once in a while.

Stream is up

Update

Thank to everyone who stopped by the stream and chat and for all the continued feedback. KEEP IT COMING! We ended up getting on a discord channel, and I think we'll continue to, so you can provide some pretty direct feedback and ask questions.

Progress continued to re-organize the older textures and touch up details whenever possible. Quetzal got a lot of its panels re-done in 3D, but I didn't do any texture updates. Barquetta saw a lot of work, including new textures that increase the detail of the CF piece near the top. The new remapped UVs allow for easier changes to the main foil texture, which makes it possible to easily provide alternate textures which will provide via in-game texture switch. I also tweaked my foil texture so that it can be applied to other colors with a little bit of tweaking so I can have different color palettes while still using the same foil style so that the design stays consistent. After some color experimentation, here is the WIP of the slightly updated Barquetta (more to come) and some quick alternate textures (no specular map)

~Cheers

f1yMtbT.png

EDIT: Sorry it's a little dark. My Monitor is a lot brighter so I don't notice it right away. I will try better screenshots 

Edited by akron

Like @CobaltWolf said, yes, the mod is tech tree balanced. To clarify, its is balanced to stock. Currently, there are no configs for modded tech trees. I haven't gotten much feedback about the current tech progression, so I guess it is working ok. Let me know if you have some suggested changes.

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yes. @akron actually has experience has a game designer and the tech tree placements show that.

Lol. Not enough experience, but I will take credit for some