[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

4 minutes ago, akron said:

So, "soon" is still the best I can do. I'm doing some tweaks and I got one more part to do. I'd also like to test upgrading with old craft files to make sure it is not a save-file breaking update

Hey akron,

It's OK, take your time! I'm just very happy with your very good mod! :wink:

Edited by N3N

5 minutes ago, Bombaatu said:

Hey - just curious if you're planning to make a version of ScanSat's multi-spectral scanner for biome mapping... ? (please, please?!?)

Yes. This is the part I am hung up on and the last for this update (I think)

The Fomalhaut decoupler (CAE-D13-F Stack Decoupler) is bothering me. It works fine for mounting Fomalhaut on a Vorona, but if you try to use it as a regular stack decoupler it doesn't work. A. It has a top node, but that node doesn't decouple, the lower node_stack_fomal does. B. The lower node_stack_fomal node also interferes with the bottom node when you try to attach a slim part like a fairing base to the bottom. It catches the bottom node of the fairing base rather than the top. You could probably get this to work more as expected with a second bottom node on the heatshield positioned higher, and just the normal two nodes on the decoupler.

While we're on the subject of nodes, I've never gotten the Torekka dish's struts to appear. I can't for the life of me connect to that other node. "NOTE: When mated to a 'Torekka' probe, utilize the antenna's top attachment node to enable its struts."

4 hours ago, Jso said:

The Fomalhaut decoupler (CAE-D13-F Stack Decoupler) is bothering me. It works fine for mounting Fomalhaut on a Vorona, but if you try to use it as a regular stack decoupler it doesn't work. A. It has a top node, but that node doesn't decouple, the lower node_stack_fomal does. B. The lower node_stack_fomal node also interferes with the bottom node when you try to attach a slim part like a fairing base to the bottom. It catches the bottom node of the fairing base rather than the top. You could probably get this to work more as expected with a second bottom node on the heatshield positioned higher, and just the normal two nodes on the decoupler.

I can look at this. Good feedback. I noticed it too, but I forgot to add it to my to-do.

While we're on the subject of nodes, I've never gotten the Torekka dish's struts to appear. I can't for the life of me connect to that other node. "NOTE: When mated to a 'Torekka' probe, utilize the antenna's top attachment node to enable its struts."

The nodes are very close together. I rotate to a flat angle in the editor to help line them up, then again I know what to expect since I made the part. I also noticed this but decided not to change to not break people's existing crafts.

2 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Why does it look bad.

If you noticed something, a more constructive statement is much more appreciated. And if you're referring to the texel density on the UV spec, this is because I ran out of texture space.

Edited by akron

7 minutes ago, akron said:

If you noticed something, a more constructive statement is much more appreciated. And if you're referring to the texel density on the UV spec, this is because I ran out of texture space.

Why are you bad. (Are you planning on being on Arma tonight or tomorrow? I'm debating)

Just now, cxg2827 said:

So it matches the look of the BDB parts.

Makes sense.

8 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Why are you bad. (Are you planning on being on Arma tonight or tomorrow? I'm debating)

What is bad?

I am going to work on the Mod today. I'll likely get on Arma when I get fed up of working on parts or when Maya crashes; whichever comes first.

1 hour ago, DiscoSlelge said:

I'm leaving this here <3

This is very good! Thank you for sharing. Do you mind if I share a link of it with the new release?

Are your solar panel on the lander white? Or is that just the camera angle?

1 hour ago, akron said:

This is very good! Thank you for sharing. Do you mind if I share a link of it with the new release?

Are your solar panel on the lander white? Or is that just the camera angle?

Yeah go ahead ! I don't understand what you mean ? The camera angle when I ejected the venera probe ? If it is, I used hullcam :P

Edited by DiscoSlelge

5 hours ago, DiscoSlelge said:

Yeah go ahead ! I don't understand what you mean ? The camera angle when I ejected the venera probe ? If it is, I used hullcam :P

Thank you. I am referring to the two little solar panels on the lander. They have blue solar cells but looked white in the video.

Update

Github updated. This should be the last RC release pending bug fixes. A couple of parts were changed from using the fairing module to toggle mesh pieces, to using FS mesh switch. This will become more common from here on out.

It took me over an hour to track down a bug with it, but TRIXIE is completed and in-game

JVLDFp5.png

There is an optional foil cover with material switching to give more variety and in preparation for the New Horizons probe core coming in a later release.

@Jso I had issues fixing the decoupler. I found an uglier workaround, which was to add a second decoupler module so now each node has its own. Let me know if this is working for you as well now.

@Bombaatu The Multispectral imager you asked about is now ready for testing, go check it out on Github :D 

EDIT: Sample craft image

clwd8Gl.png

~cheers

Edited by akron

5 hours ago, akron said:

Thank you. I am referring to the two little solar panels on the lander. They have blue solar cells but looked white in the video.

Oh right ! Idk I always saw them white I think it's maybe because I'm using and old version of the mod :P

1 hour ago, akron said:

Github updated. This should be the last RC release pending bug fixes. A couple of parts were changed from using the fairing module to toggle mesh pieces, to using FS mesh switch. This will become more common from here on out.

The Vorona alternate solar panels (CAE-E300 Vorona Solar-Thermal System) don't center under the cursor in the VAB and are difficult/unusable. Not just a little, it's way off.

Is it possible to adjust the collider on top of the Vorona tank so Formalhaut is not clipping? With ejection force set to zero they separate forcefully due to that.

Starting and stopping the SCANsat scan doesn't trigger the animation on the TRIXIE.

Perhaps your SCANsat configs should delete the ModuleAnimateGeneric in those parts since SCANsat provides an interface to extend/retract, or Activate... The Laser! as the case may be. You end up with two buttons for triggering the animation.

Combining the Imaging Data experiment with the SCANsat sensor on TRIXIE might be a bit much - maybe.

2 hours ago, Jso said:

The Vorona alternate solar panels (CAE-E300 Vorona Solar-Thermal System) don't center under the cursor in the VAB and are difficult/unusable. Not just a little, it's way off.

I will check this out

Is it possible to adjust the collider on top of the Vorona tank so Formalhaut is not clipping? With ejection force set to zero they separate forcefully due to that.

I thought I'd already done that. I'll check it as well

Starting and stopping the SCANsat scan doesn't trigger the animation on the TRIXIE.

It was 4am when I finally got it to somewhat work :P

Perhaps your SCANsat configs should delete the ModuleAnimateGeneric in those parts since SCANsat provides an interface to extend/retract, or Activate... The Laser! as the case may be. You end up with two buttons for triggering the animation.

I agree. I can add it to the MM config

Combining the Imaging Data experiment with the SCANsat sensor on TRIXIE might be a bit much - maybe.

This is actually how it is in DMagic Orbital Science and keeps the part count a little lower.

Good feedback, sir. If you can, will you create some issue reports in Github, if not I can try around lunch later today.

@DiscoSlelge There was never an older version of that solar panel. I released it ready and with its texture from the start. Hmmm. Try updating with deleting the existing Coatl aerospace folder instead of overwriting, if you havent already.