[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

51 minutes ago, akron said:

If Squad overhauls the sounds in the game I promise to do this.

Try Soundtrack Editor, it's awesome! Plus there are some unused sounds hidden in the game that it can play, they're mainly things like decouplers and some other stuff. There's also editorLoop01 (GameData/Squad/Sounds) which I assume is an unused track for the VAB/SPH, it does kinda sound like old Club Penguin (R.I.P.) music :P 

I'm considering doing a sound pack of my own, including stuff for Chatterer (that stuff is pretty easy, just reverse the audio and make it high-pitch). And apparently you can change the part select sound in the VAB too! I'm currently working on explosion sounds.

Edited by hieywiey

5 hours ago, hieywiey said:

Try Soundtrack Editor, it's awesome! Plus there are some unused sounds hidden in the game that it can play, they're mainly things like decouplers and some other stuff. There's also editorLoop01 (GameData/Squad/Sounds) which I assume is an unused track for the VAB/SPH, it does kinda sound like old Club Penguin (R.I.P.) music :P 

I'm considering doing a sound pack of my own, including stuff for Chatterer (that stuff is pretty easy, just reverse the audio and make it high-pitch). And apparently you can change the part select sound in the VAB too! I'm currently working on explosion sounds.

We definitely need more/better music. Chatterer needs to be stock, need more bumps and rattles during flight, and different ambience is needed. A themed soundtrack for each planet, footsteps during EVA that vary with the surface, Kerbal noises and whines when they fall or are scared. New engine and part sounds, plus it would be nice if ModuleAnimateGeneric could trigger a sound file when it is triggered in-game. I'm not asking for much. While they're at it, re-do science research so you research technologies and not parts. Also, have it take time to research each node and add a strategy to Admin building where you dedicate more monthly funds/rep to make research go faster. Essentially unlocking and researching nodes would use different currencies.

/ramble

7 hours ago, notJebKerman said:

Are you planning to use both of Cassini's engines simultaneously or one as the main engine and the other one as a backup, like irl?

For better compatibility and to prevent CoT nightmares, I will have Meridiani fire both engines. To compensate, I will try my best to get the engine's animated particle shield working on a later update.

4 hours ago, notJebKerman said:

Actually they are provided on the thread. In case you didn't notice them, they're here.

Thank you for passing the info to @Cetera

By the way, if anyone catches any issues with the crafts, let me know. Also if there are any that I should add.

7 hours ago, akron said:

Thank you for passing the info to @Cetera

By the way, if anyone catches any issues with the crafts, let me know. Also if there are any that I should add.

Oh, for the love of...  Were they in the OP all along?  I swear I scoured the thread looking for them, using the search function, etc.  That's what I get for screwing around with it when I should be asleep...

*le sigh*

55 minutes ago, flamerboy67664 said:

I hope this isn't updated to 1.3, or either 1.3 mods work in 1.2.2, because there are too little changes in 1.3 to warrant an update.

Once the dependencies Dmagic Science Animate, and Firespitter get their stable 1.3 releases, anyone should be able to run the mod in 1.3 from this release. I don't expect issues in 1.3 since they're just parts.

5 hours ago, akron said:

Once the dependencies Dmagic Science Animate, and Firespitter get their stable 1.3 releases, anyone should be able to run the mod in 1.3 from this release. I don't expect issues in 1.3 since they're just parts.

So the next update should work in 1.2.2 just using the 1.2.2 dependencies?

On 5/27/2017 at 3:11 AM, flamerboy67664 said:

So the next update should work in 1.2.2 just using the 1.2.2 dependencies?

I meant, this update should work in 1.3 with 1.3 dependencies. Once I move up to 1.3, I am not doing any 1.2.2 testing anymore.

Sorry if this has been asked before. On my next career save I want to use SSTU for the rockets, Galileo's Planet Pack for the solar system, and hopefully this mod for unmanned science. Will this be a balanced mix of mods? Will the increased distances of that solar system mess with the communication parts?

9 hours ago, AbhChallenger said:

Sorry if this has been asked before. On my next career save I want to use SSTU for the rockets, Galileo's Planet Pack for the solar system, and hopefully this mod for unmanned science. Will this be a balanced mix of mods? Will the increased distances of that solar system mess with the communication parts?

Well Galileo's update to 1.3 is a ways off but I can tell you my experience with 1.22....   Don't use Sigma Dimensions to rescale the first time you fly.   I run BDB + SSTU (with mods to make BDB tanks and Engines closer in functionality to SSTU) as well as this and DMagic Orbital Science.  The Grind was much harder in my game than standard stock so.....  No I don't think your combination is over balanced.

11 hours ago, AbhChallenger said:

Should be fine. Making your solar system larger will just mean that you have to upgrade your DSN sooner and will need better comm coverage via more relays.

The biggest consideration is actually science gain. If you leave at default, career progression might be too fast. Bump science gain down for each mod you add with new science experiments like mine, DMOS, BDB, MOLE, etc.

Also, for those who use Outer Planets modpack, the default install of OPM has a config that increases all antenna power by I think x4. This will also multiply my mod's antenna so they be as powerful as the stock but also negate the need for more careful relays. Remove if for more challenge.

Love what you are doing with this mod!  At this time, I am limited on how many mods I can have installed on my ancient machine.  Since I am not familiar with the Dmagic Orbital Science mod, is there any way I can get such parts as the Magnetometer Booms or the RPWS to at least deploy (not necessarily run science experiments), or do I absolutely have to have the Dmagic Orbital Science mod installed for these parts to function at all? 

Thanks for all you're doing! :)

2 hours ago, akron said:

Should be fine. Making your solar system larger will just mean that you have to upgrade your DSN sooner and will need better comm coverage via more relays.

The biggest consideration is actually science gain. If you leave at default, career progression might be too fast. Bump science gain down for each mod you add with new science experiments like mine, DMOS, BDB, MOLE, etc.

Also, for those who use Outer Planets modpack, the default install of OPM has a config that increases all antenna power by I think x4. This will also multiply my mod's antenna so they be as powerful as the stock but also negate the need for more careful relays. Remove if for more challenge.

I don't mind if I have to use other mods to build additional relays. I just hope that it feels realistic. For instance the moons are much further out than the Mun so I hope I will still be able to communicate with the probes without having to use a relay satellite.

That is a good idea regarding science gain. I will set it to 50 percent. I have decided to also use USI life support and community tech tree to add some challenge to this save. I don't mind the reduced science gain if your mod creates interesting scientific contracts instead of the boring stock crap.

14 hours ago, SpaceRabbit said:

Love what you are doing with this mod!  At this time, I am limited on how many mods I can have installed on my ancient machine.  Since I am not familiar with the Dmagic Orbital Science mod, is there any way I can get such parts as the Magnetometer Booms or the RPWS to at least deploy (not necessarily run science experiments), or do I absolutely have to have the Dmagic Orbital Science mod installed for these parts to function at all? 

Thanks for all you're doing! :)

Both of those will require DMOS for full functionality. It is easy to remove the dependency, but then I'd have to write new science results and it just wont have the same features. If you play career, I will say that you should absolutely look at DMagic's mod. I do not think it will overload an older PC too much. It really is a must-have.

12 hours ago, AbhChallenger said:

I don't mind if I have to use other mods to build additional relays. I just hope that it feels realistic. For instance the moons are much further out than the Mun so I hope I will still be able to communicate with the probes without having to use a relay satellite.

I simply have no experience with non-standard distances to say. However, I do not suspect you'll need relays up to Mun distances. At most you'll need the smaller dishes, which is realistic. However, some may no longer be able to reach Duna/Eve distances like they're designed to. The best way to resolve is to simply have antenna stats for popular solar system mods. I have nothing for Galileo, but it may be worth a look. Try it and let us know how it goes

Hello,

At first I wanna say: I love this Mod! It´s my favourite and one of the reasons I keep playing KSP! Thank you @akron

But after the Update to 1.3 I´ve run into a problem with this Mod.

KSP Crashes back to Desktop at the loading screen. The Launcher crashes while loading "...\Coatl Aerospace\ProbesPlus\Parts\Antenna\antenna_cone.cfg

I tried it without this Mod and it worked just fine. Did I miss something?

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Griffon26

46 minutes ago, Griffon26 said:

Hello,

At first I wanna say: I love this Mod! It´s my favourite and one of the reasons I keep playing KSP! Thank you @akron

But after the Update to 1.3 I´ve run into a problem with this Mod.

KSP Crashes back to Desktop at the loading screen. The Launcher crashes while loading "...\Coatl Aerospace\ProbesPlus\Parts\Antenna\antenna_cone.cfg

I tried it without this Mod and it worked just fine. Did I miss something?

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Griffon26

Thank you!

antenna_cone is a retired part, being replaced by antenna_cone_toggle. Try deleting only the antenna_cone.cfg file. Though I have no idea why it will not load it.

30 minutes ago, akron said:

Thank you!

antenna_cone is a retired part, being replaced by antenna_cone_toggle. Try deleting only the antenna_cone.cfg file. Though I have no idea why it will not load it.

Hello and thanks for your help.

I tried your suggestion but after that, it keeps crashing at all the Landvermesser Parts... ;.; 

I tried a bit and when I delete the whole Landvermesser files it crashed without a path to search for. When I delete or rename the whole "Coatl Aerospace" Folder it loads with no problems.

I gonna download your Mod again and try to install it from scratch. If that doesn´t help I will reinstall KSP completly new.

Is there something I can do for you, regarding problem solving? It seems that it´s only at my end so far so there could be no need till now.

Regards

Griffon26

1 hour ago, Griffon26 said:

Hello and thanks for your help.

I tried your suggestion but after that, it keeps crashing at all the Landvermesser Parts... ;.; 

I tried a bit and when I delete the whole Landvermesser files it crashed without a path to search for. When I delete or rename the whole "Coatl Aerospace" Folder it loads with no problems.

I gonna download your Mod again and try to install it from scratch. If that doesn´t help I will reinstall KSP completly new.

Is there something I can do for you, regarding problem solving? It seems that it´s only at my end so far so there could be no need till now.

Regards

Griffon26

Did you by chance update DMagic science animate, and Firespitter to their respective 1.3 versions?

For troubleshooting, can you post your KSP log? I'll try and see what versions of each mod are trying to load.

18 hours ago, akron said:

Did you by chance update DMagic science animate, and Firespitter to their respective 1.3 versions?

For troubleshooting, can you post your KSP log? I'll try and see what versions of each mod are trying to load.

Hey,

thank you very much for your help.

Embarassing, but I downloaded the Firespitter mod and installed it and now everything works just fine. :blush:

Mostly some smaller things make big problems :D

Regards

Griffon26