Dragging behind the wall ?

I have noticed that any engine attached to an Mk3 Engine Mount produce an enormous drag.

It's normal when there's no air pocket at all? Mk3 looks like a large wall flying at 3 MAX +. And the red vectors pointing back are nearly 100 meters long. Six parts behind the wall, seven red vectors.

Replaced Poodles by Spikes but the drag is still enormous.

How can it be possible ?

^_^

Edited by _Astra_

Hey man,

I am sorry to say but the new areo system is broken, unintuitive and open to abuse. Trying to apply real world techniques and plans to it will result in unrealistic behaviors. If you want a 'realistic' atmosphere you need FAR and better atmospheres mods.

What you posted above is just another in the long list of examples of the aero system not working well. Just try another combination of parts.

As @Majorjim said, try FAR. I'm vouching for it, it's really awesome.
What scares most people new to FAR, is the "aerodynamic failure"...when pulling more G's than your craft/wings can support, it all falls apart (without a lot of explosions even:(). Just disable that feature if it destroys your gameplay, then it will be like stock(where pulling 15g's without struts sometimes makes stuff go boom).

Anyway, you get rewarded massively for building aerodynamic stuff...rockets with a shape similar to the N1 has a terminal velocity so high that your engines just never reach it.

Majorjim, i cannot leave this part - it looks sooo cute!  ^_^

Blarkies, thank for your advise. I prefer flying planes, not rockets, so it would be an improvement in my gameplay (or not...).

What is the "aerodynamic failure" in conventional terms? It means flatter or something else?

On 2/4/2016 at 7:23 PM, _Astra_ said:

What is the "aerodynamic failure" in conventional terms? It means flatter or something else?

If you build a plane with a long wingspan, and pull up to fast out of a dive then your wings easily snap off. They don't explode or spasm around, they just break apart. Looking at the g-forces at the moment of failure, this seams realistic:

-it's hard to pull 4g+ with a "Cesna" style plane without losing your wings

-it's hard to pull 9g+ with a "F15" style plane without losing your wings

Struts could help out a lot, and this "aerodynamic failure" happens in rockets as well (if you point 10deg away from prograde, then the rocket might snap in half). To counter this, FAR gives you a adjustable slider in each wings(in editor) right click menu that strengthens the wing, at the cost of extra weight to that wing.

Anyway, i'll admit that I turn off  "aerodynamic failure"(at space center, click on FAR icon, uncheck  "aerodynamic failure"). No excuses about keyboard not being analog or anything, but because unpredictable stuff happens to big missions...and also, it's very kerbal to do a loop right of the runway :D
...but you have to promise to never touch the wing strength sliders then

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.