Removing Parts from Mods?

Reolos

Hello all,

I love modding this game really heavily, and I am rather fond of parts packs. I do find though, that after 60+ mods, I am running 2,500+ mem. I was wondering if there was a mod that would allow me (Ingame) to remove specific parts while not removing mods, or, if anyone had any advice how to do this in the game folder? I do not have much experience and ability with modding game files myself. Plenty of the parts packs have specific parts that I never personally use, while I use the other parts from those packs in every build. I'd like to be able to remove those that I do not use, if possible.

Thank you all.

14 hours ago, Reolos said:

Hello all,

I love modding this game really heavily, and I am rather fond of parts packs. I do find though, that after 60+ mods, I am running 2,500+ mem. I was wondering if there was a mod that would allow me (Ingame) to remove specific parts while not removing mods, or, if anyone had any advice how to do this in the game folder? I do not have much experience and ability with modding game files myself. Plenty of the parts packs have specific parts that I never personally use, while I use the other parts from those packs in every build. I'd like to be able to remove those that I do not use, if possible.

Thank you all.

Your best bet is to write down what parts you don't want, and then go into the mods, find the folders that contain those parts (you can open up the part cfg files and look for the name) and delete the folders that contain those parts.

15 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Your best bet is to write down what parts you don't want, and then go into the mods, find the folders that contain those parts (you can open up the part cfg files and look for the name) and delete the folders that contain those parts.

Deleting is not the best bet.

If you use AutoPruner, which I linked above, you can reverse the pruning easily. This is important because many mods nowadays use asset sharing between parts to reduce the memory footprint. If you delete one part's folder, and three other parts depended on the textures and/or audio effect files stored in that folder, then you just broke the mod, and you aren't going to notice it until after you try playing the game again. And then you have no way to restore things anymore, apart from completely reinstalling the mod.

It's the same reason we use ModuleManager to write config file patches instead of rewriting the original configs. Messing with original files is just plain bad. Use AutoPruner, and you have a fully reversible situation every time!

7 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Deleting is not the best bet.

If you use AutoPruner, which I linked above, you can reverse the pruning easily. This is important because many mods nowadays use asset sharing between parts to reduce the memory footprint. If you delete one part's folder, and three other parts depended on the textures and/or audio effect files stored in that folder, then you just broke the mod, and you aren't going to notice it until after you try playing the game again. And then you have no way to restore things anymore, apart from completely reinstalling the mod.

It's the same reason we use ModuleManager to write config file patches instead of rewriting the original configs. Messing with original files is just plain bad. Use AutoPruner, and you have a fully reversible situation every time!

Fair enough! I bow to your higher experience. :) I do not share textures outside of folders in my mods, which is where I got that impression.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.