HI! GDJ here and I have a challenge for all of you that are Top Gun participants, Plane Circumnavigators, Aviators, and general fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of people.

As the title states, this is a round trip between the Pyramids, KSC2 and KSC. Simply put, you take off from KSC, spin around and go the Pyramids first, then KSC2, then back.

EXCEPT....you have to land at the Pyramids, get a Kerbal out, take a picture of the Kerbalnaut, plane, and the Easter Egg. After that, take off, go the KSC2 ruins, get out, same kind of picture, get back in and fly home.

This is a challenge based on efficiency, landing skill, navigation, some fact finding, and exploration. Getting around this really fast is not necessarily better. Actually taking your time and thinking about your plan is best here.

The Challenge rules are as stated:

-You will NOT post the locations of the Easter Eggs, either by hint or any other means. No Longitude and Latitudes, no "Turn south at XX", or orbital map pics either. Instant disqualification and your post will be removed. There are alot of people here that want to find the Easter Eggs themselves, and posting the locations ruins some of the mystique of finding them. Do some research on your own, then go for it.
-You need to post a pic at each Easter Egg, KSC at take off and landing AND the F3 pic when you get back home. This isn't a timed race, but a skill challenge and discovery at the same time. The F3 pic confirms that you indeed flew the run and not simply hyper-edited it over. Also if you ran the course your fuel will be depleted and the F3 screen will show that.
-You CANNOT refuel. The tank you start with is the same tank you will get home on.
-Landing your plane at the Pyramids and KSC2 is challenging. Your plane design should be tough, able to take a few hits and still fly. You can lose parts (and there is a good chance you will lose a few) but that makes getting home alot harder.

MODS

-Anything parts-wise goes. Any cockpit, any engine, (propeller, jet, RAPIER, Rocket), any wing mod are acceptable. Go nuts and have fun!
-Any mod that changes the game physics is banned EXCEPT for Real Atmospheres. I run it, therefore it's accepted. Stock is fine as well.
-Texture mods are fine.
-Any mod that deals with fuel rebalancing is fine, and probably a good idea to keep an eye on your plane's balance.
-Pilot Assistant and other autopilot mods (including MechJeb) is fine. If you use them, tell us. FAR is acceptable as well.
-If you make your own mod, that's cool. Just post what you have, or did.
-Hyperedit or any other mod that relocates your craft without flying it is prohibited.
-Your flight can be sub-orbital if you wish, and you will be welcomed to try a rocket with landing gear. Hopefully you can carry the fuel and the skills to do it.
-If your plane is damaged and you have a Kerbal that can climb out and fix what's damaged, good for you! Just post a pic of the repair.

FLIGHT PLAN

1) Take off from KSC
2) After leaving KSC runway, bank and turn to heading 180 degrees for 2 minutes, with a recommended altitude of 3000 metres ASL. That's a good way to avoid the mountains in the west, and the only hint I'm telling. After this, you're on your own to get where you are going.
3) Adjust course and head to The Pyramids. Land there.
4) Take off and adjust course and head to KSC2. Land there.
5) Take off and adjust course for the most direct route back to KSC. Land anywhere near the facility (I'm not going to get too picky, just be close), take your F3 pic.

Post pics in this thread afterwards.

Good luck to all participants.

ps. Yes, I've done this, and I will redo everything and post my pics.

screenshot41_2.png

The Honourable Aviator list  Easter%20Egg%20Aviator%20First%20Class.j

-SasquatchM- Placeholder in lieu of return landing pics and F3 screen.

-Reactordrone - Done, and done! No damage whatsoever, and 1/3 of fuel left. Nicely done and great flying!

-Chemp - He did this on a flying magic board of awesomeness. Seriously.  Yeah, get your sticker dude!

-Zolotiyeruki - 3500 km round trip, still had enough fuel to do it again! Great job!

-BenG - Did it in a skinny plane with really big wings. Well done!

-Dfthu - 3 days? You must have counted every bird and Butterfly on the ground! :D Great job, and not a mark on your plane. Excellent!

-

-

-

Edited by GDJ
Adding more swizzle

All in 1 trip, using Firespitter, Infernal Robotics, Adjustable Landing Gear and Kerbal Foundries.

Just noticed the part about getting home.  Good thing I saved.

Edited by SasquatchM
forgot a mod, just noticed I have to ge tback to the KSC... good thing I saved.

Had a quick jaunt out this afternoon. Forgot to get a screenshot before takeoff but I do have  a shot of my plane flying over an unspecified ocean in an unspecified direction about 15 mins after takeoff. I also had to quickload and land again cause I forgot to take the F3 shot :P

screenshot257_zps7jywd3ex.jpg

Good short landing capability with the reverse thrust so I was able to land right alongside the pyramids with little difficulty.

Well, you got the important pics in, and I recognize the bit of ocean at the start, so I'll call it good.
Nice plane! Simple, to the point, lots of lift and looks like you nailed the efficiency part. Good job!

I made a little graphic you can stick in your sig. Here's the link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ktsepdgaclxhkny/Easter%20Egg%20Aviator%20First%20Class.jpg?dl=0

Edited by GDJ

I've never been to the old KSC before, so this is a welcome opportunity.

Featuring the Flying Board V, it took a "bit" longer than the other entries. Still, it handles nicely at low speeds which made it perfect for landing by the pyramids. Just dive straight down, pull up 150m above ground, coast a bit to bleed off some speed and touchdown - voilà.

Mods: KER

Chemp: Well, that is the most unique flying craft I've ever seen. I'll call it a flying magic board of awesomeness . :)

Grab your decal! 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ktsepdgaclxhkny/Easter%20Egg%20Aviator%20First%20Class.jpg?dl=0

Edited by GDJ
I don't know how his flying magical machine works.

A question was asked if they could "drive" in a rover to do this.

Driving across Kerbin at any reasonable speed (over 40 m/s) is rather difficult, and most rovers self destruct. Kerbin is one of the hardest planets to drive on because it has alot of rough terrain and a high gravity. I made many attempts to drive from KSC to KSC2 in the early versions of the game and it's is a rough long trek (my personal best was 9 hours) and building the rover was even harder. For my one successful trek, I tested 27 different rover designs, and even the successful one I had to repair tires, suspension, and other bits that broke, constantly.

Short answer: Not at this time. Maybe in another challenge, but not this one.

4 hours ago, GDJ said:

A question was asked if they could "drive" in a rover to do this.

Driving across Kerbin at any reasonable speed (over 40 m/s) is rather difficult, and most rovers self destruct. Kerbin is one of the hardest planets to drive on because it has alot of rough terrain and a high gravity. I made many attempts to drive from KSC to KSC2 in the early versions of the game and it's is a rough long trek (my personal best was 9 hours) and building the rover was even harder. For my one successful trek, I tested 27 different rover designs, and even the successful one I had to repair tires, suspension, and other bits that broke, constantly.

Short answer: Not at this time. Maybe in another challenge, but not this one.

You forget that people here are insane, see the Elcano Challenge

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/128687-the-elcano-challenge-ground-based-circumnavigation-continued/

56 minutes ago, WhiteKnuckle said:

I haven't forgotten that challenge! :)

My next Easter Egg hunt will be a 2 craft challenge with a rover and aircraft, but just not this challenge. ;)

Yeah, well, I took a couple wrong turns along the way. :) I'd never been to either location before.

(and I have a bit of experience with efficient flight--I built a plane that flew 12x around Kerbin non-stop on air breathing engines for the Aviator Challenge)

I'm quite the noob in the forums here, but I have a few questions, if that's okay.

1. Are there limits to the size of the craft? Once I built this monstrosity of a plane, and I was really excited to fly it. I think it would have way more fuel than necessary to do this challenge. (It didn't matter in the end; it crashes the game every time I load it. It's just too big! ;.;) Anyway, a huge craft - is it OK?

2. Speaking of huge craft, if you build one big enough, are you allowed to use an ISU converter and harvest fuel using the drills? Technically you are using the same tank; but it seems really cheaty, and I think it would just be a bad sport to do this.

1 hour ago, fortraan said:

I'm quite the noob in the forums here, but I have a few questions, if that's okay.

1. Are there limits to the size of the craft? Once I built this monstrosity of a plane, and I was really excited to fly it. I think it would have way more fuel than necessary to do this challenge. (It didn't matter in the end; it crashes the game every time I load it. It's just too big! ;.;) Anyway, a huge craft - is it OK?

I have no issues with large craft being used for this challenge. Go right ahead.

1 hour ago, fortraan said:

2. Speaking of huge craft, if you build one big enough, are you allowed to use an ISU converter and harvest fuel using the drills? Technically you are using the same tank; but it seems really cheaty, and I think it would just be a bad sport to do this.

For this challenge I would classify this as refuelling, which is not permitted. You have to start with a plane full of fuel, and you have to fly on what you have for this challenge.

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 9:51 PM, Chemp said:

I've never been to the old KSC before, so this is a welcome opportunity.

Featuring the Flying Board V, it took a "bit" longer than the other entries. Still, it handles nicely at low speeds which made it perfect for landing by the pyramids. Just dive straight down, pull up 150m above ground, coast a bit to bleed off some speed and touchdown - voilà.

Mods: KER

How many calories did the kerbanaut waste?

11 hours ago, BenG said:

I built this little STOL jet for this challenge - it was a good bit of fun! Jeb enjoyed his sightseeing tour...

Now I'm working on another, slightly different submission for this challenge...

I was a bit concerned with the SCANSat window open on the last few frames, but it didn't show the locations of the Easter Eggs, so it's all good!

Nice job, nice looking plane! Grab your decal!

Edited by GDJ

11 hours ago, GDJ said:

Yeah, I love pics, and you got a few that could work as desktop wallpapers!

3 days?? I admire your thrift with fuel!

Grab your decal!

Most of the time spent was timwarping, I didn't want to land in night. I was going about 100 MS the whole time.

3 hours ago, Dfthu said:

Most of the time spent was timwarping, I didn't want to land in night. I was going about 100 MS the whole time.

That's cool. There isn't a time limit, just have to complete it.

Don't blame you for not landing at night. It's a PITA, even with lots of spot lamps.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.