Steam Clean Install Information Thread

Hello everyone!

I am making this thread because I have some questions I need answered, and I think others do too. I hope that this thread will eventually become a general help-and-support thread for using KSP with steam.

So, my first question: Is it possible to make a clean install without deleting and redownloading?

Edit: What I'm going for is having my normal, modded-to-hell-and-back game is the one I access through stream, and the stock I access through a different shortcut. I'm okay with re-installing once.

Edited by RocketSquid

As far as I understand it, that's pretty much the definition of 'clean install', so...no? 

Best thing I can think of to avoid re-downloading every time you want a clean install is to download a fresh copy, then right away make a backup copy of that and leave it alone. Then any time you need to start fresh just copy from the clean backup. 

Edited by FullMetalMachinist

The only way to be sure is to reinstall.

You could try by delete the following:

settings.cfg

Physics.cfg

partDatabase.cfg

Any folder in GameData other than Squad

Any folder in saves other than training and scenarios

The old folders for addons should be empty, never install a mod to those.

Doing this cannot account for any changes to Squad files that were made by addons.

Also, reset your KSP.exe from the 64bit hacked version to the original.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.