[REQUEST] Radially attached nuclear engines

theJesuit

I haven't seen these in any other mod, but I could be mistaken and I am happy to be pointed in the right direction...

However would someone be interested in developing a side mounted Nuke.  A Thud like Nuke if you will.  Even if it is a shorter but retains a similar ratio of stats as stock Nukes that would be awesome.

Failing that, a nuke engine stackable 'part' that works as a PB-Nuk but then upon construction can have multiple nozzles attached perhaps altering the thrust of each or ISP or something.   

Cheers in advance.

Peace.

1 hour ago, theJesuit said:

I haven't seen these in any other mod, but I could be mistaken and I am happy to be pointed in the right direction...

However would someone be interested in developing a side mounted Nuke.  A Thud like Nuke if you will.  Even if it is a shorter but retains a similar ratio of stats as stock Nukes that would be awesome.

Failing that, a nuke engine stackable 'part' that works as a PB-Nuk but then upon construction can have multiple nozzles attached perhaps altering the thrust of each or ISP or something.   

Cheers in advance.

Peace.

Well, I'm working on a radially attached VTOL engine mod, so why not?

NOTE: It probably won't be what you're expecting. It fires downward from where it is mounted, as opposed to horizontally like the Thud.

This gives me an idea...

Nuclear Powered VTOL Engines: Because We Can.

3 hours ago, njmksr said:

Well, I'm working on a radially attached VTOL engine mod, so why not?

NOTE: It probably won't be what you're expecting. It fires downward from where it is mounted, as opposed to horizontally like the Thud.

This gives me an idea...

Nuclear Powered VTOL Engines: Because We Can.

I am hoping for Thudalike? It took me a whole to work out firing downward.  I first envisioned firing back towards the craft at the attachment point!

But now I think about it the more I like the the PK Nuk + nozzles for engines idea for long range craft to Jool.  Especially if it means a lessoning of parts from solar panels on massive interplanetary or even interstellar craft.

So hopefully I can get some help!

Peace.

A Thud-like arrangement isn't that hard to get with stock nukes: attach a slanted nose cone or tail cone, flat end down, to the side of your ship, then attach the nuke (or any stack-mount-only 1.25m engine) to the flat end of the cone. Obviously that's two parts instead of one and it's a lot longer than a Thud, but if all you need is a way to mount an LV-N radially it should work. I use this arrangement a lot for heavy landing craft, where trying to mount the nukes underneath the tail would result in ridiculously long, spindly landing gear.  Looks cool, too.

1 minute ago, Hotaru said:

A Thud-like arrangement isn't that hard to get with stock nukes: attach a slanted nose cone or tail cone, flat end down, to the side of your ship, then attach the nuke (or any stack-mount-only 1.25m engine) to the flat end of the cone. Obviously that's two parts instead of one and it's a lot longer than a Thud, but if all you need is a way to mount an LV-N radially it should work. I use this arrangement a lot for heavy landing craft, where trying to mount the nukes underneath the tail would result in ridiculously long, spindly landing gear.  Looks cool, too.

Agreed that it looks cool.  Hence the suggestion!

This idea was in part to reduce part count for multiple engines and create something a little more customisable. Also to give an easier ability to hide nuclear engines behind a fuel shield for role play with nuclear based parts.

7 hours ago, njmksr said:

Now with further consideration, a a rotational offset in mind in terms of design this would work.  Looking forward to any results thanks!

Peace.

7 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Notice KSPI-E Nuclear Turbojet (which model was made by Porkjet) ...

Thanks for the reference.  I haven't considered KSPI before generally because of the additional stuff to be added in, but now I've had a good look I guess what I was thinking of was something LIKE this but much more simplified.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.