R.I.P Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 - 6th human to walk on the Moon

Stone Blue

Edgar Mitchell, who 45 years ago became the sixth man to walk on the moon, died on Thursday (Feb. 4), the day before the anniversary of his lunar landing. He was 85.

Wow... What timing...

Sad on one hand, yet very fitting on the other...

http://www.space.com/31853-edgar-mitchell-apollo-14-astronaut-obituary.html

Edited by Stone Blue

Yeah, it's making me realise, it may not be long until nobody alive has been to the Moon. These people are in their eighties. They were born between the wars, into the Great Depression, and became part of one of the greatest human achievements.

RIP Edgar, you will be missed.

Will any Apollo Astronauts see people walk on Mars at this point? At least half of them have died now (The ones who walked on the Moon anyway), and it's at least 10-20 years until we walk on Mars.

Would now be a good time to petition the gov't to triple NASA's budget, and have 60% going towards the SLS and Orion?

At least we still have... uh... Lets see, Armstrong's dead, Conrad's dead, Lovell's still alive, but he never landed.... uh... Shepard's dead, Scott's still alive... right?

Wow, over half the astronauts who commanded Apollo landing missions are gone, we only have Scott, Young (fortunately), and Cernan left. As for LMPs, we still have Buzz Aldrin, Alan Bean, Charlie Duke, and Harrison Schmitt. I think Edgar Mitchell is the firs LMP (who actually landed on the Moon) to die.

Looks like we need to send some more people to the Moon!

The gross world product has nearly quintupled since the Apollo Era, and yet we're farther from the moon than ever.....

People die. They were destined to do so wether or not they landed on the moon. What makes this event important isn't his death, it's that we're reminded that we should remember his accomplishments, and all of the people who were also participating in the space program.

Also, more people than ever support the space program, even more than during the Apollo Era, but no proper budgetary increase.

1 hour ago, Bill Phil said:

The gross world product has nearly quintupled since the Apollo Era, and yet we're farther from the moon than ever.....

People die. They were destined to do so wether or not they landed on the moon. What makes this event important isn't his death, it's that we're reminded that we should remember his accomplishments, and all of the people who were also participating in the space program.

Also, more people than ever support the space program, even more than during the Apollo Era, but no proper budgetary increase.

Yeah, if you ask anyone on the street, chances are they would like another Moon program, it's just that the people with the power usually have "more important" things to do than send a spacecraft to the Moon, or even to space at all.

Think about this though, we have a huge advantage that Apollo did not have. We have Elon Musk!

21 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Yeah, if you ask anyone on the street, chances are they would like another Moon program, it's just that the people with the power usually have "more important" things to do than send a spacecraft to the Moon, or even to space at all.

Think about this though, we have a huge advantage that Apollo did not have. We have Elon Musk!

They had von Braun. A lot better if you ask me...

58 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

They had von Braun. A lot better if you ask me...

18 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Oh yeah... 

AND they had Kennedy (JFK), as well...

Then again, they also had a HUGE fear of the USSR dominating space...

On 2/6/2016 at 3:18 AM, cantab said:

Yeah, it's making me realise, it may not be long until nobody alive has been to the Moon. These people are in their eighties. They were born between the wars, into the Great Depression, and became part of one of the greatest human achievements.

I fully suspect that eventually nobody will be alive from that whole generation of NASA staff that planned to go to the moon. Before we even consider doing it again. Yes we have talked. Yes we have planned. However we have not committed and probably never will unless there is a profound change. 

8 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

He can only do low earth orbit. Technical details are irrelevant in the face of economic details. Gamblers back horses with form and the space industry has none beyond low earth orbit.  

7 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Then again, they also had a HUGE fear of the USSR dominating space...

Yeah. Which is the "i don't want to die excuse". Which beats the economic details.

So off they went. On a mission with three possible outcomes. Crash, safe failure or Success. 2/3 bad. Yet still they decided to go. Starting with only 15 minutes experience in ballistic space flight.

Back then every now and again mankind had a breakthrough. In NASA that was just another Monday morning.    

Edited by nobodyhasthis2

5 hours ago, nobodyhasthis2 said:

He can only do low earth orbit. Technical details are irrelevant in the face of economic details. Gamblers back horses with form and the space industry has none beyond low earth orbit.  

True, but considering how crazy ambitious Elon Musk is, I would not be surprised if he tried to send something to the Moon, even if it were unmanned. Considering how much he's been able to do already, I think he could probably go to the Moon if he wanted to. Of course, we don't actually know if he wants to...

No.. None of the Apollo astronauts alive today will be around to see a Mars landing. It's just too far off. Unless we get one of these shumcks that are our presidential candidates to come out and say we'll do it in ten years. It won't happen. Sucks. Kinda chokes me up a bit when I think about it.

Edited by Motokid600

On 2/7/2016 at 1:41 PM, JamesGoblin said:

I believe that Russians were pretty much "responsible" for USA moon landing and couple other things, which - together with "been there done that" - explains modern low priorities.

Yeah. your right. It really is that simple. When Americans believed the Russians had a gun held to their heads they didn't care about money. Now people are like "been there done that". Plus they are more concerned with issues right here at home. It is hard to push for funding when the population is arguing about healthcare for example.

On 2/7/2016 at 1:46 PM, pTrevTrevs said:

True, but considering how crazy ambitious Elon Musk is, I would not be surprised if he tried to send something to the Moon, even if it were unmanned. Considering how much he's been able to do already, I think he could probably go to the Moon if he wanted to. Of course, we don't actually know if he wants to...

Only if there is money to be made. He is businessman. He is ahead of the current game. If it gets tight around contract bidding there could be a publicity stunt but it is unlikely. The supporting economic market is just not there.

23 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

No.. None of the Apollo astronauts alive today will be around to see a Mars landing. It's just too far off. Unless we get one of these shumcks that are our presidential candidates to come out and say we'll do it in ten years. It won't happen. Sucks. Kinda chokes me up a bit when I think about it.

Yes I understand how you feel. I suspect a lot of us here on the forums do.

It is none the less nothing to do with leadership. It is just the money. Most Americans have no idea how much tax is used. To pay for mars they would have to cancel a lot including the ISS funding. Congress would have to sell the idea of doubling the funding right now to 1%. to have any hope of a manned mission anywhere. See Penny4NASA campaign.

Over the last few decades, Americans deluded themselves into believing misconceptions about space travel, and, as a result, the purpose and necessities of a space program are now misunderstood.Space Chronicles: Facing the Ultimate Frontier, Neil deGrasse Tyson , 

Which comes from a really good book on the subject from Neil deGrasse Tyson. It is explains the real reason why we when to the moon. It also covers the reasons why we are not doing manned missions passed ISS now. Things will only change if people are willing to learn more about spaceflight and the economic spinoff benefits.  

Edited by nobodyhasthis2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.