The MID-Q Challenge. Munar impact done quick

Administration at the Kerbal Space Center was horrified to hear that Jeb planned on landing himself the Mun before they'd even checked to see what the surface is made of.

Jeb was not pleased with their subsequent decision to cancel his flight. They said at the very least he would need to wait until they had a probe on the surface of the Mun. Jeb hatched a plan.

Your job is to send a probe to impact the Mun as quickly as possible. Soft landings are for wimps.

Guidelines:

• Stock parts only
  • "Indestructible facilities" is recommended (Space center-> Esc -> Settings -> Difficulty Options)
  • The use of KerbalJointReinforcement is encouraged
  • It should go without saying, but no F12 menu or HyperEdit
  • The final stage of your rocket must be a probe core (with no engines attached to it) that is jettisoned from the rest of the rocket
  • No entries over 1 hour 90 minutes will be accepted
  • Include screenshots of your vessel on the pad, a few as the burn progresses, of the final payload on its way to the Mun, and one showing impact in the mission log [F3]
  • These guidelines are subject to change

Scoring will be based entirely on time from liftoff to Munar impact. A "featured" scoreboard will be added to highlight any special entries (Single stage, SRB's only, etc)

Tips:

• High TWR is key. It reduces gravity losses and increases average velocity. (Ion and nuclear propulsion are essentially useless) 
  • Sort by mass in the VAB to make sure you're not adding unnecessary weight
  • Send a "scout" vessel to the launchpad, timewarp until the Mun is directly over the morning side of Kerbin (setting it as target helps), and recover the vessel. This launch window provides the best lighting for screenshots.

Scoreboard:

1. Nefrums: 0:13:58!!
  2. FinalHazard: 0:14:53
  3. totalitor: 0:16:05
  4. Atlanticrash: 0:18:48
  5. Reactordrone: 0:22:52
  6. killakrust: 0:32:29 (Bonus: Included antennas and reaction wheels on the probe)
  7. DoctorDavinci: 0:37:34

My 0:16:43 entry (I'd be surprised if somebody could get below 15 10 minutes... but then again I'm probably underestimating the KSP community's love for boosters)

Edited by KerbonautInTraining

5 hours ago, Reactordrone said:

Had a go this afternoon. Not massively fast at 22 min 52 sec but it gave the Mun a good whack.

screenshot399_zpsmgono12h.jpg

screenshot400_zpss71nidzv.jpg

That's actually really good considering the size of the rocket. I remember trying with a cluster of 5 orange tanks as a lower stage and got like 25 minutes.

So I did this again but I waited for the mun to be overhead this time as well as adding MOAR Boosters ... Stock install

0 hours, 37 minutes, 34 seconds

I think I may be able to get it down to around 30 minutes if I time it right and strap on some MOAR boosters :cool:

Edited by DoctorDavinci

The probe core has to detach from the final stage, although I'm still gonna add your entry because of the amazing time.

Have you tried "merging" some of the asparagus so it all burns parallel? I've found that that can actually give better times due to the insane TWR and shorter burn time

My memory from this challenge in 0.18 days:

1. a gravity turn will save you about 1.5 km/s that you otherwise lose to gravity losses
  2. the ant on an oscar was the best last stage -- and it's been buffed since (relative to other engines)
  3. the bigger the rocket the better, so this challenge quickly turned to "how patient are you"

Are nose cones actually useful in this challenge? I'd expect you would have pretty low drag losses going straight up, so they'd just be a waste of mass (and parts).

In 0.18, jets were able to get much higher TWR for the first little bit, because they cut down on drag loss a lot.

4 hours ago, numerobis said:

1. a gravity turn will save you about 1.5 km/s that you otherwise lose to gravity losses
  2. the ant on an oscar was the best last stage -- and it's been buffed since (relative to other engines)
  3. the bigger the rocket the better, so this challenge quickly turned to "how patient are you"

Are nose cones actually useful in this challenge? I'd expect you would have pretty low drag losses going straight up, so they'd just be a waste of mass (and parts).

In 0.18, jets were able to get much higher TWR for the first little bit, because they cut down on drag loss a lot.

Eh gravity losses are negligible ("only" about 24% on my rocket) and it's much easier to go straight up (im lazy)

I didn't bother with nosecones I found (at worst) I was losing about 0.4 of my 3 G's to drag.

Edited by KerbonautInTraining

5 hours ago, numerobis said:

1. I am hitting the mun with about 1.8km/s less speed than launch DV so only losing about that, maybe only a tad more due to gravity drag. Also I don't think these rockets would handle a gravity turn very well.

2. Maybe, but that stage takes 5 minutes to burn, which probably nullifies the effect of the extra DV.. running a test now. The end result is 5 seconds worse than my sepratron final stage. I can't get it to fly perfectly straight with the ant and just parts attached on the axis of symmetry (how is that possible?), so it ends up flying a less efficient trajectory. Also you need a battery to allow you to disconnect the final stage for a burn that long, adding to the inefficiency.

3. I agree. my last rocket takes a long time to burn the first stage but speeds up significantly after.

the mass should be insignificant on the lower stages. On my upper stages the nose cone mass adds up to -20 DV (so I guess I'll remove them). It will be different for everyone obviously but I think the lower stages definitely need them. The part count isn't helping the real life launch time though.

Almost all the gravity drag is at the start of your flight, so when you lose 1.5 km/s you lose close to 10% of your flight time. That's the difference between 15 minutes and 13.5 minutes.

When, as with @Nefrums' spacecraft, you're firing on all cylinders, it turns out even pretty ungainly craft can be convinced to turn -- and you can help it by starting tilted using launch clamps. You do get more launch failures and decoupling difficulties.

Back in 0.18, the 5-minute burn of the Ant was worth it. However, the sepratron appears to have way higher Isp than before whereas the ant has only slightly more, so I can definitely believe the "best" has flipped. That, and the need to actually pay for the mass of your battery in 1.0.5 whereas in 0.18 it was massless.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.