The UM-1 Ultra Manueverable Stunt Plane

I was experimenting with ultra maneuverable designs and the results were fairly good, and the UM-1 was born. This has almost VTOL like properties with the way it maneuvers and can pull a 180 degree turn at any speed extremely quick using super maneuverability, the plane doesn't have that much lift and I think a majority of it's maneuverability relies on it's Panther engines. It has a max speed of around 1000 m/s. What I show below is a few stunts I did with it, surprisingly easily. It also has a very low stall speed. Without further adieu, here's the video!

Aircraft Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gw9zohd8ngyq8ib/UM.craft?dl=0

Subscribe if you wanna!

Once again, feedback is appreciated like, subscribe and share if you want to!

Here's my newest replica video of a F/A-18!

F/A-18 Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/820duijrxokrvfh/F-18A.craft?dl=0

Edited by AquaAlmond Productions

13 minutes ago, Sobas said:

Incredible!
Is this beauty stock? How many parts? WANT THE CRAFT! :)

Yes, it's all stock! 50 parts and download coming soon!

It also flies pretty easy with SAS off and is surprisingly quick when it's panther engines are in wet mode. It reaches speeds of around 1000 m/s and you can do very sharp turns at high speeds.

"Most maneuverable plane ever made"

I, for one, doubt that. It's okay to use hyperbole, but add a bit of a disclaimer if you do.

And I've made one in stock aero that literally turns on a dime. It does use a bit of RCS engine thrust, but it flips almost instantly. And by literally, I mean it.

Edited by The Optimist

This actually makes me wonder where we should draw the line between maneuverability and aerodynamic instability.

Oh well, the F-16 was purposely made aerodynamically unstable in order to achieve better maneuverability, so I guess it's alright.

2 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

This actually makes me wonder where we should draw the line between maneuverability and aerodynamic instability.

Oh well, the F-16 was purposely made aerodynamically unstable in order to achieve better maneuverability, so I guess it's alright.

I'd still call it maneuverable over instable. It can pull incredibly sharp turns. However yes it is a bit unstable but that was purposely done so it can make those turns.

I'm thinking of building a SSTO that can get to space in under a minute for the next video.

20 minutes ago, The Optimist said:

"Most maneuverable plane ever made"

I, for one, doubt that. It's okay to use hyperbole, but add a bit of a disclaimer if you do.

And I've made one in stock aero that literally turns on a dime. It does use a bit of RCS engine thrust, but it flips almost instantly. And by literally, I mean it.

This thing turns on the dime once it's at higher speeds. It never exceeds 120 m/s in this video so as a result it doesn't turn as fast. Perhaps I'll make a showcase video of this plane to show that.

4 minutes ago, AquaAlmond Productions said:

I'm thinking of building a SSTO that can get to space in under a minute for the next video.

This thing turns on the dime once it's at higher speeds. It never exceeds 120 m/s in this video so as a result it doesn't turn as fast. Perhaps I'll make a showcase video of this plane to show that.

At higher speeds, my craft turn on a dime as well.

Though they do have a tendency to snap in two when I try to do so. And the thing is that real life aircraft turn with their momentum, while ours just pivot. 

2 minutes ago, The Optimist said:

At higher speeds, my craft turn on a dime as well.

Though they do have a tendency to snap in two when I try to do so. And the thing is that real life aircraft turn with their momentum, while ours just pivot. 

I had the same problem, that's why there is something like 12 struts under the hull of the aircraft so it doesn't tear itself apart :P

7 hours ago, TedwinKnockman66 said:

Not even manueverable craft, I made a Go 229, That german wonder was most manueverable

If you flew it you'd see it is very maneuverable, like I said earlier it may not appear as maneuverable given the low speed it is going ( does not exceed 80 m/s while doing a turn) it exceeds 30 g's when doing a sharp turn at high speeds.

That looks lovely. At 10 seconds, I totally thought it will touchdown on the helipad. It would be a cool challenge to do.

Sooo... where's the download? If you are lazy to sign up for some file-sharing service you can just open the craft file with a text-editor, and copy-paste the contents here...

18 minutes ago, Evanitis said:

That looks lovely. At 10 seconds, I totally thought it will touchdown on the helipad. It would be a cool challenge to do.

Sooo... where's the download? If you are lazy to sign up for some file-sharing service you can just open the craft file with a text-editor, and copy-paste the contents here...

I'll put up the download now. And I actually landed it on the helipad, but the landing gear broke so I cut it out.

Here's the download https://www.dropbox.com/s/gw9zohd8ngyq8ib/UM.craft?dl=0 :)

3 minutes ago, BananaIsAFruit said:

Everytime i try to build a plane, I always loose control or something like that. I think ill just stick to rockets.

Not sure if you saw this excellent illustrated aircraft design guide. It's a bit old - the parts about drag is for the pre-1.0 atmo and can be ignored. But most of it is still viable. It was an eye-opener for me.

27 minutes ago, Evanitis said:

I made a topic in the challenges and idea's topic. The challenge is to try to land the plane on the roof of the VAB without breaking anything, and then put your video of doing it in the comments.

Noticed it. Though I think it would be more fun to include the engineering into the challenge. As in landing a 'conventional' plane there, that only has backwards facing engines.

I'd also add to use destructible facilities for extra fun, but there's no way to check if it's actually the case on a submission.

1 hour ago, AquaAlmond Productions said:

I made a topic in the challenges and idea's topic. The challenge is to try to land the plane on the roof of the VAB without breaking anything, and then put your video of doing it in the comments.

Thanks man. Ill definitely look at that. 

Now static maneuverability is a bit different from maneuverability at speed. Your jet has such a small lift coeficcient that at speed it will maneuver off vector well, but attempting to maneuver at low speed will just flip you. With such a low surface area of lift, you won't bite the air.

1 hour ago, SpaceToad said:

Now static maneuverability is a bit different from maneuverability at speed. Your jet has such a small lift coeficcient that at speed it will maneuver off vector well, but attempting to maneuver at low speed will just flip you. With such a low surface area of lift, you won't bite the air.

I will consider that in my next build

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.