rendezvous target issue

Please see the attached photo for an issue I am having setting a target to rendezvous with after launch. 

So i am trying to build a Space Station.  I have sent the first module up and it is in a stable orbit around Kerbin.  When I get prepared to launch the second module, I set the first module as a target and get the wierd looking lines.  I understand them to be maneuver lines and Ap and Pe points.  But now when I try to create my own manvuer node to start my rendezvous, I am unable to get to the right Altitude and intersection point.  Also the program states that I have no target selected and can not use MechJeb for assistance.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

http://imgur.com/XNxR0Jj

Not sure about with MechJeb (I don't use it), but in stock you can't make a maneuver node for a ship that is "landed". It has to be in flight. I'm not sure how you got that node to pop up for the ship that's on the launch pad, that shouldn't be possible (unless that's a MechJeb feature). So I'm not sure what to tell you about the obit line after the node. 

However, regarding rendezvous to something in orbit straight from launch, my habit is to just eyeball the right time based on where the target ship (or station) is. For low Kerbin orbit, I usually launch when the target ship is passing over the continent to the west that kinda looks like India. 

From there, well it just kinda depends on a lot of things, but mainly your twr and how quickly you can get to orbit. But honestly, I just eyeball it "close enough" and if I end up behind my target, I circularize in a slightly lower orbit to catch up. If I'm ahead, circularize in a slightly higher orbit, and let the target catch up to me. From then it's just another rendezvous using the nodes like normal. 

Hope this helps. 

Have your AP a few thousand meters higher than the target vessel (Pe needs to be slightly lower than the target Pe) and after one orbit you will notice that the separation will become smaller and smaller each orbit.

if you dont want to wait you can increase your AP so you need to travel further and will take longer to complete orbit (increase AP= Longer travel time = Less waiting for intersect for instance if your intersect is at 150 km and each orbit takes away 2 km you can take away more km with this method)

Beware not to take to big leaps though or youll miss it.

Making your AP smaller is the opposite of this.

another technique I use (not sure if people use it) is lowering your Pe just a few thousand meter (2000 should be enough) then creating a maneuvre node on the Pe and pull the prograde marker till you get an interesect of 5 km, once the burn is preformed its just like a normal rendezvous but just a bit less effiecent but faster than the first technique.

Edited by ToukieToucan

You can target a craft by right clicking on it in map-view. Than click 'select target'.

49 minutes ago, ToukieToucan said:

Beware not to take to big leaps though or youll miss it.

Note that you can set a node for multiple orbits later. Just place it, don't drag the sliders, but right click it. Two small icons will appear below it, to decrease and increase the number of orbits. If you selected the target, it will show how close you get.

You can also use MJ's rendezvous autopilot feature. Once you see how it does it, you can easily do the same what it does manually the next time.

Your space station has a maneuver node set for it When you set a ship (which to the game everything is a ship) as a target, you see their maneuver nodes.

Switch to the station and delete the maneuver node.

I got no clue on MechJeb. I've never used it for anything other than testing some mods that required it.

Edited by 5thHorseman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.