DOSbox on Win 8.1 x64?

Souper

I tried running Noctis in DOSbox on my Win 8.1 64-bit computer, but it says only 32-bit was supported. There dosen't seem to be any 64-bit DOSbox download anywhere, is there any way i can get it to work?

It seems to be a common problem getting Noctis to work via dosbox.

http://anynowhere.com/bb/posts.php?t=4892

There are binaries for debian available for noctis.  If it were me, I'd try them. Derp, no there aren't, I was confusing the dosbox debian package.

There is however a bootable USB image with noctis and some version of dos: http://anynowhere.com/bb/posts.php?t=4390

Failing that, I'd try virtualizing a copy of 32-bit XP, and running it through that, although that'd rely on you having access to a licence key, and even then looking at the first thread I linked, it may simply not work.

Edited by pxi

2 hours ago, Souper said:

I tried running Noctis in DOSbox on my Win 8.1 64-bit computer, but it says only 32-bit was supported. There dosen't seem to be any 64-bit DOSbox download anywhere, is there any way i can get it to work?

Without diving too much into the matter, is the problem not that your DOSBox is 16 bit and the program you are trying to run 32 bit? Because anything running inside DOSBox should not be aware it is running on a 64 bit system.

32 minutes ago, Camacha said:

Without diving too much into the matter, is the problem not that your DOSBox is 16 bit and the program you are trying to run 32 bit? Because anything running inside DOSBox should not be aware it is running on a 64 bit system.

My DOSBox is 32-bit, and Noctis is 32-bit as well. The problem is not the program, but that DOSBox itself is for Win32. I can run Noctis outside of it, but it crashes frequently and is generally a terrible way of playing. How can i get DOSBox to think it's in Win32? Is there another workaround or what?

3 minutes ago, Souper said:

My DOSBox is 32-bit, and Noctis is 32-bit as well. The problem is not the program, but that DOSBox itself is for Win32. I can run Noctis outside of it, but it crashes frequently and is generally a terrible way of playing. How can i get DOSBox to think it's in Win32? Is there another workaround or what?

Running 32 bits applications on 64 bits systems should not be an issue. There is built in backwards compatibility. Running a 16 bits application on a 64 bit system will not work, however.

3 minutes ago, Camacha said:

Running 32 bits applications on 64 bits systems should not be an issue. There is built in backwards compatibility. Running a 16 bits application on a 64 bit system will not work, however.

Well, it seems DOSBox doesn't think the same. It says Win32 has to be used, which i don't have. In short: How do i trick DOSBox into thinking it's on Win32? That's the only thing i need.

5 minutes ago, Souper said:

Well, it seems DOSBox doesn't think the same. It says Win32 has to be used, which i don't have. In short: How do i trick DOSBox into thinking it's on Win32? That's the only thing i need.

You can try running it in compatibility mode. However, if the problem is that DOSBox refuses to run on a 64 bits system because it is a 64 bits system, you might have other problems. I used DOSBox on multiple occasions on a 64 bits system, specifically to run QBasic, and it ran just fine.

16 minutes ago, Camacha said:

You can try running it in compatibility mode. However, if the problem is that DOSBox refuses to run on a 64 bits system because it is a 64 bits system, you might have other problems. I used DOSBox on multiple occasions on a 64 bits system, specifically to run QBasic, and it ran just fine.

Oh, sorry. DOSBox itself runs perfectly fine, but it refuses to run Noctis. It's weird how it starts up and only notifies me at the last stage. Maybe it's Noctis.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.