Mun Lander Review

8 hours ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

I just don't like it because it looks weird (Don't judge my rocket building style :P )

Whaaa...?  Blasphemy!

But really, there's not much better reason for anything in KSP.  Beauty demands blood.  Sacrifices must be made in the name of fashion.

The important thing to note is that half the lander's thrust will currently give out just before the final stages of landing in some cases -- exactly when that extra thrust is most important to have. 

The list of options above is not complete, or even "the best", it's just what happened to spring to mind most immediately.  For example, another approach is to put some LV-909s on cubic struts and to clip them slightly into the tank above.  This allows a 2.5m decoupler to be fixed to the fuel tank above (rather than the engines) in a way that prevents the engines from getting ripped off during staging and creates a very different sort of look:

NnO8Dkbl.png

(The launcher has so many engines because it had been rush-built with the assumption that Skippers were not unlocked yet -- and even then it still has 3 engines too many because I was too lazy to properly rebalance the fuel distribution.  So I just added 3 more engines to even the flow.)

Anyway, good luck!  Whether you continue with the same save or not, the lander design is worth keeping in your back pocket.  It's effective and has a low part count with a rather nice and distinctive took.

Get rid of the sparks, put a poodle in the center (if you've unlocked it) and move the drop tanks down for more clearance for the bigger engine.

The poodle is the most efficient non-nuclear engine in the game and would have much more thrust than your current arrangement, allowing for more precise landings and fewer gravity losses.

I'm not saying "You need to do this right now! Your design is bad!" These are changes that could be made if you want more thrust, higher isp, etc. As of right now, your lander is more than capable of a Mun landing and decent amounts of biome hopping.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.