Monsterlunch

Hello everyone!

This is a Mission Idea within a heavily modded savefile I have been working on for a couple of days now.

A Word file can be found here: http://1drv.ms/1KBCe7R

Or you read it right here!

Spoiler

ESOMAD 

Eve Surface Operations Mission Assembly Directive 

1. Introduction 

The ESOMAD is a directive which aims to outline operational details concerning the further exploration of the surface of Eve in order to exploit the recently discovered deposits of Kerbalium 

The directive was created in reaction to the following letter:  

Kerbalium being the key to Kwantum mechanics and interstellar travel, our research teams are in desperate need of it. As you might habe guessed, this is where you come in!” 

The Kerbalium deposits seem to be bound to Eves Oceans, which determines our mining operations to take place at sea level. Due to the extreme density and acidity of Eve’s lower atmosphere, the use of spacesuits as well as other pressure sensitive materials will not be possible below an altitude of 5000m.  

All direct mining operations have therefore to be carried out by an autonomous substation.  

This substation is to be connected to a main surface outpost, from where all Surface to Orbit (STO) operations can take place.  

The incorporation of another substation at an altitude of approximately 75 km is yet subject to further scientific research. (See concept description on page X) 

Carried out operations will be coordinated from an orbital hub. The orbital hub will also serve as a refueling and maintenance outpost to support interorbital actions between Eve and Gilly. Eve’s moon Gilly will in this context serve as a refueling outpost.  

2. Mission Phases  

The proposed program consists of the following phases: 

1. Orbital arrival 

1. Surface exploration 

1. Orbital presence 

1. Surface presence 

1. Surface exploitation 

Phase I - Orbital arrival 

The first phase of the ESOMAD will contain the setup of a feasible communication network as well as general orbital surveys of both Gilly and Eve to determine future landing sites which are worth further exploration.  

The ESOMAD I payload will be uncrewed and consist of a docking hub (Leopold Core), a survey probe (Gilbert I) and a number of comsats.  

All essential mission components will be delivered within a 3.5 m Aero shell which is capable of withstanding extreme temperatures to enable orbital insertion via aerobraking. The LKO to LEO transfer stage will be detached after completing its transfer burn and be lost due to re-entry heat.  

After a yet to be determined number of re-entry runs, the payload is going to detach its fairing and perform orbital correction burns in order to achieved a stable orbit of 1000km x 100km around Eve. This manoeuvre will be performed by the Leopold Core’s own propulsory systems. (Manoeuvre 4) 

Mission control will authorize satellite deployment as well as LEO insertion of Leopold Core after confirmation of manoeuvre No. 4.   

Gilbert I will rely on its own ion propulsory system to perform surveys of both Eve and Gilly. 

Phase II - Surface exploration 

In order to determine suitable landing spots for the following Mission phases, 4 robotic roving units (RRU's) will be sent to Eve. The scientific equipment installed on the RRU's is capable of finding valuable depots of Kerbalium and will transmit all its recorded data to the RnD facilities on Kerbin for further analysis.  

Each RRU will be launched separately atop a Katarpa IV MLV, awaiting interplanetary transfer  in geostationary orbit. 

Delivered in a 2.5m Aeroshell, the RRU's will arrive at their destination via Aerobraking and Parachute assisted descent. Although the landing is planned to be un-powered, emergency descent engines are incorporated in each RRU landing unit.  

During the phase of continuous surface exploration, development and testing of the Osprey SSTO which is to be used to carry out Kerbalium transfer from LKO to the KSC will take place. The Ospreys nominal PL Capacity to LKO is estimated to be 12 tons.  

As soon as one of the following scenarios takes shape, work on Mission Phase III will begin. 

1. A suited landing site is found.  

2. All RRU's are lost due to material failure. (Maximum operational time for each RRU is proposed to be 400 D) 

Mission Phase III - Orbital presence 

In order to provide sufficient operational capability for Mission Phase IV, a minimal orbital presence has to be established.  

Therefore, a crewed expansion module for the Leopold Core module will be sent to Eve via Hohmann Transfer.  

The expansion components will be delivered during the next occurring planetary transfer window. Those components will be docked automatically by an on board guidance unit. Provided the docking process is executed successfully, Mission Control will await status reports from Leopold Station.  

After confirmation of nominal performance of all essential station components, the first crew will be sent to Eve in order to board the station and coordinate further exploration efforts. 

Minimizing Kerbal exposure to Kosmic radiation, mission Phase 4 will be taken on fastly after that. 

Mission Phase IV - Surface presence 

The term "surface" in this context incorporates the creation of a surface base on both bodies of the Eve system.  

Further expansions to the Leopold, such as a fuel depot, Kerbalium storage tanks and additional life support systems will also be part of this Mission Phase. 

The following components will be delivered to Eve within a time span of 1200 days. Eve Orbit crew rotation will additionally be organized every 240 days.  

Sea Level Mining Substation "Komodo" 

This Substation will undertake the main mining efforts, storing mined Kerbalium for transfer to the main surfce outpost. It contains the following notable modules: 

• 2 Mining Drills 

• 1600 L Kerbalium Depot 

• 2 Gigantor Solar Arrays 

• Battery Bank (overnight operability) 

Main Surface Outpost  "Otago" 

This facility houses the Eve Surface Glider (ESG), as well as the surface OPs maintenance team. Furthermore, it will be the anchor point for all STO flights.  

A three stage emergency escape vehicle will remain present at the MSO at all times.  

Eve Surface Glider (ESG) 

The ESG is a Solar powered, electric propelled Glider, capable of carrying out Kerbalium transfers from Substations to the main surface outpost. It is unkerballed and can carry a maximum load of 800 L of Kerbalium per trip. The final design is yet subject to further scientific research.  

The following Design keys will be incorporated in the ESG.  

- Modular Wingspan (Drag reduction vs. Gliding capability) 

- Built in Solar Cells (Wings)  

- Tiltable electric fans (VTOL)\ 

To be continued.... 

As of now, I am far out of reach of any KSP capable PC, and therefore created a Mission Assembly Document.

Anyways, I would really like to hear your feedback about the proposed mission!

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Looks like this needs to be in Mission Reports rather than Challenges. And so, moved. 

I do not nescescarrily disagree with your decision. I have to say though that I then find the term Challenges and "Mission Ideas" quite confusing as I do see this rather as a Mission Idea than a Mission report. I had quite some trouble actually finding the right Subforum for posting this... Maybe some clarification of the term Mission Idea is needed.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

If you're reporting on something you did, that is a Mission Report. :D If you look at the Challenges sub, though, it has a set of requirements to qualify as a Challenge. 

Thing is I didn't do anything. :D I'm merely proposing a Mission Idea and giving a possible strategy on how to execute the Mission. Thanks for the clarification anyways.

Cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.