PC requirements

Hi,

I have KSP through steam. It's awesome, but how can I improve its performance, like lagging with big ships etc...
I made a space station but if i bring another big ship to dock it goes super slow...

I have a macbook pro with
2.5 GHz Core i7 (I7-4870HQ)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
16GB DDR3 1600MHz

I have windows 7 installed on a partition, now would I be better off using one OS or the other?

What are my limiting factors here??

Thanks for any help and advice.

KSP right now is a 32bit program and Unity4 (Engine on which is KSP built) only supports one core of your CPU for physics processing. Everyone lags with ships that have lots of parts. Other than that, lower your graphical settings ;) 

43 minutes ago, Joco223 said:

KSP right now is a 32bit program and Unity4 (Engine on which is KSP built) only supports one core of your CPU for physics processing. Everyone lags with ships that have lots of parts. Other than that, lower your graphical settings ;) 

this is true

Thanks for that info.

So, to be clear...

would a PC with a fast set of cores be able to run the game smoother (using just one of these fast cores) including a higher part count and to process the information with the GPU faster leading to a higher all round FPS, and a method to play the game on highest settings?

Also I see scott manley videos he has a mod that adds atmosphere and stuff to Kerbin....is this a heavy load on the PC?
and which mods is that he uses?

Well, CPU with stronger single core than one right now would help you a bit, but i recommeded you yo to wait for KSP 1.1 which is upgraded to unity5 and wont have memory limitations and can use multiple cores for processing.

Mod for the clouds is Enviromental visual enhancements and other graphics mod for atmospheres is Scatterer. They rely on your GPU so you should not have a that much of a perfoance impact. Im using both of those mods on my heavliy modded install on laptop

3 hours ago, ultinator said:

Also I see scott manley videos he has a mod that adds atmosphere and stuff to Kerbin...

It is safe to assume Manley runs his games on a top-end machine. But he too is limited by what KSP can and can not do. His game lags just as bad as yours and mine. The reason why you rarely see it is that it is either sped up or edited out.

Well thanks everyone....

sooooo does anyone know when the elusive 1.1 is due?

I understand you cant rush a good thing....but my space station needs expansion, I have lost kerbals everywhere and they must be reclaimed and sent home to their famililes

6 minutes ago, ultinator said:

sooooo does anyone know when the elusive 1.1 is due?

No, that's why it;s on the FAQ.

On 9-12-2015 at 10:44 PM, Tex_NL said:

Q: When will the next update be released?

A: Soon™ SQUAD never gives release dates to avoid disgruntled users when deadlines aren't met.

Edited by Tex_NL

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.