Sytem performancce

Hi,

I have KSP through steam. It's awesome, but how can I improve its performance, like lagging with big ships etc...
I made a space station but if i bring another big ship to dock it goes super slow...

I have a macbook pro with
2.5 GHz Core i7 (I7-4870HQ)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
16GB DDR3 1600MHz

I have windows 7 installed on a partition, now would I be better off using one OS or the other?

What are my limiting factors here??

Thanks for any help and advice.

I'm no expert but i would say the bottleneck is your CPU, I run an i3 thats 2.26ghz and since ksp is limited to single core calculations I would assume your performance is pretty much the same as mine. You can play around with the "max physics delta time per frame" setting. Lowering it to 0.03 should help that is assuming you have accidentally mistaken sliding it to the left as a perfomance increase. 

You can wait out the 1.1 release, as you have an i7 your performance should increase a lot. As for using a different OS I cannot help you there. 

You are using CPU, which is in upper range of single-thread performance.

I suggest you to reduce Terrain detail to minimum, set to low or disable Surface and Aerodynamic FX, move max physics delta all the way to the right (as Velve666 suggested) - install Kerbal Joint Reinforcement mod to compensate for physics.

To remove the need for larger parts count, use re-usable single/double stage rockets and spaceplanes to deliver fuel into orbit, which is fetched by orbital robot and docked into your interplanetary spacecraft.

This should remove the need of huge all-at-once rockets.

Using Linux x64 will allow to run stable x64 KSP version with any mod count.  Linux is best installed on its own hard-drive, but also supports installation onto existing partition.

However, unstable x64 windows/mac builds are, of course, a bug too.

This is about the maximum one could do as a user.

Definitely CPU bottleneck,  and generally the only way to fix that is to lower physics. Unity 5 may help, but the real multi core performance will be from loading multiple ships on seperate cores, not singular huge ships (not really confirmed though)

Sadly, while good for a laptop a 2.5ghz cpu isn't going to be able to load massive ships at a decent fps rate any time soon

So, I just upgraded from athlon II x4 to xeon x5647 (with ecc and whistles).

While its no sandybridge with its enormous single-thread performance, I got massive fps increase.

Its even visually easily seen in menu - in scene change with three kerbanauts and then valentina.

I say - go to passmark or use cpuboss, find a CPU with good single-thread performance and enjoy. As of 1.0.5, KSP is really bottlenecked to single core performance.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.