Kerbal Dynamics: Limited Fuel Lifting

Very simple challenge: what's the heaviest load you can lift to stable Kerbin orbit with just one Rockomax Jumbo-64 tank full of liquid fuel and oxidiser?

Very simple rules as well:

- Monoprop RCS prohibited.

- Entire fuel supply is the aforementioned Jumbo-64 tank (that's the 2.5m orange one with 2880 LF and 3520 O). SRBs prohibited. Drop tanks with extra fuel prohibited. ISRU units prohibited.

- Stock chemical (LFO) rocket engines only. No nukes. No jets. No nuclear jets. No electric rotors. No propellers. No ion engines. No warp drive.

- No decouplers or any other type of staging mechanism. You don't need it.

- Other than that, any other part mod is valid as payload (eg ore containers, hab modules, science bays, batteries, solar plant, nuclear reactors, microwave relays...).

- No physics cheating - that's Hyperedit, infinite fuel, or any other shenanigans including but not limited to Kraken drives.

Even the scoring system is very simple:

Score is your mass on orbit.

Jumbo_FT.png

Leaderboard:

1. Nefrums with 22,767t

.. Skylar with 18.463t (DISQUALIFIED because you used another fuel tank!)

2. Foxster with17.609t

Edited by ihtoit

1 minute ago, GoSlash27 said:

ihtoit,

Is staging (with that amount of fuel) allowed, or must it be a SSTO?

I kinda assumed you couldn't stage tanks as the idea is that just one orange tank can be used, but I guess you could stage engines if that would help. 

18 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

ihtoit,

Is staging (with that amount of fuel) allowed, or must it be a SSTO?

I wouldn't recommend staging since you've only got that one tank with precisely that amount of fuel on the pad.

18 hours ago, Foxster said:

I have no idea if this is good. 17.609t...

ZRQLXbZ.jpg

nice! What's the dark component? Ore container?

21 hours ago, Nefrums said:

Does the payload have to be decoupled? or is the empty lifter stage considered part of the payload?

it's part of the payload. I will make a rule clarification.

4 hours ago, Skylar' said:

after 9000 fail's. and 2hours, Full stock + K.E.R. 18.463kg

New_Bitmap_Image_2.pngNew_Bitmap_Image.png

is that another fuel tank??

To explain why I disqualified it, I have two words: Pendulum Effect.

Edited by ihtoit

Just now, zarakon said:

What do you mean by that?  Two words isn't enough!

the Pendulum Effect is where you can move your orbital track by pumping fuel between two tanks at either end of a spinaret. Scott Manley demonstrated this effect by pumping fuel and bringing a probe from high orbit to a Munar lithobrake - without once firing the engine and without using the RCS system.

2 minutes ago, ihtoit said:

the Pendulum Effect is where you can move your orbital track by pumping fuel between two tanks at either end of a spinaret. Scott Manley demonstrated this effect by pumping fuel and bringing a probe from high orbit to a Munar lithobrake - without once firing the engine and without using the RCS system.

Oooookay, but this seems like a perfectly valid entry to me.  He didn't use any crazy spinning.  And if he did, that's still mass to orbit using just the fuel indicated.  

That would be a really weird, difficult, and utterly impractical way of attempting to cheat.  With the two tanks right next to each other and very little fuel to move, it would take quite a long time to add any significant momentum that way, to the point where it would only be useful at all if you were just barely short of reaching orbit normally

Edited by zarakon

4 minutes ago, ihtoit said:

well, orbital time is 4:52 mins to get the effect i will need a lot more time becoze it's very non noticible + can't bing that much fuel in to orbit to get any noticible effect.

Edited by Skylar'

On 2/10/2016 at 7:32 PM, ihtoit said:

Kinda off topic, but I would like to see that video, sounds like an interesting watch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.