Mun Arch from orbit at 10Km

AlextheBodacious

I just wanted to share this one image, of a ship flying over the Mun arch north of the big crater (I think it has a name but I'm to lazy to find out). It's bigger than you'd think...

sm6vldU.png

Sorry if it's not the right forum but I wouldn't call this my own art, and it's definitely not an entire report... (The arch is about an inch under the leg on the left)

After searching for the arch forever I finally gave up and then one day randomly found it.  It was definitely a feeling of accomplishment find it without looking it up  but kind of disappointing that I found it by accident 

6 hours ago, Nich said:

After searching for the arch forever I finally gave up and then one day randomly found it.  It was definitely a feeling of accomplishment find it without looking it up  but kind of disappointing that I found it by accident 

Heck.. that's how I found the Armstrong Memorial.. dropping down for a landing, wondering "What on earth is that down there, that I can see it from this high?" while still several km above the surface, then realising I was going to touch down only about 500m from it.. all entirely by chance.

I found the arch last night exactly the same way, dropping a rover on the north east rim of the crater to check ore concentrations, and spotted it from about 6-8 km up :D  Stupid thing is the rover's got an anomaly scanner on it as I was thinking I'd go and look for some once I've got the base set up :D

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

Heck.. that's how I found the Armstrong Memorial.. dropping down for a landing, wondering "What on earth is that down there, that I can see it from this high?" while still several km above the surface, then realising I was going to touch down only about 500m from it.. all entirely by chance.

Similar story for me: I landed a couple km away, wondered "what on earth Mun is that over there", and EVA'ed over to take a look.

14 hours ago, Nich said:

Don't feel bad.  Arches are notoriously hard to find.  That's because at night, the arches awaken and go striding across the Munscape like giant Slinkees.  While they try to keep this a secret by returning to their usual places before dawn, sometimes they get distracted.  Then the light catches them and they freeze where they are until the sun goes down again.

So if you can't find an arch where you think it's supposed to be, it's almost certainly because it's not home at the time.  Come back later and it'll probably be where you expect it.

But it's not a good idea to go rovering about Mun at night.  Besides the danger of falling into a crater, you might meet an arch on the move.

nTmGaup.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.