[1.8.x+] Strategia [v1.8.0] [2019-10-22]

nightingale

Strategia - A Brand New Strategy System!

gLq1ytS.png

Description

Strategia is a revamp to Kerbal Space Program's strategy system.  All the stock strategies are removed, and replaced with new and unique strategies.

The first set of strategies are special mission strategies. These strategies will give you advance cash and bonuses to certain milestones for completing a high level objective as part of your space program. They are dynamic, so they will work with mods that change the stock solar system by adding or changing celestial bodies.  Be warned though - if you cancel one of these strategies without completing the objective, you will face a heavy penalty!

uUzLmPR.png6A00iK0.png

Crewed Missions

Once we've proven we can get a Kerbal to orbit and back, we need to continue to break new barriers.  We have a choice of nearby bodies that we can get to.  We choose to go to <insert celestial body here>, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.

Uncrewed Missions

The costs of sending a Kerbal to another planet are astronomical compared to those of sending a probe that we can leave behind.  Why don't we send some probes to our neighbouring planets to gather science autonomously for us?

The remaining strategies are the standard strategies - these give a bonus while active, and can be active for as long as you like.

K6JkFQh.png

Astronaut Training Program

Our standard training procedure is to treat newly hired astronauts as a disposable commodity to greatly reduce the cost of unscheduled disassemblies. Still, some argue that training our astronauts before putting them on top of a top of a ton of explosives will result in a lower mission failure rate. The cost of setting up the program will be high, nevermind the cost of actually training the astronauts. What do you say, do we want the right stuff, or the almost-good-enough stuff?

zCsCu9B.png

Massive Scale Launches

We've found some investors who are willing to sponsor us if we're able to launch colossal structures into space in a single launch. We'll have to employ some truly Whackjobian construction techniques to get these things into orbit.

Cz1BCRP.png

Contract Slot Machine

These agencies seem to think they're doing us a favour offering by us these ridiculous contracts. Why should we be penalized for being choosy? By closing our books to the public, agencies will have no idea what we're willing to accept. There might be a little chaos in the contracts we see under this model, but if we're only choosing the best ones, then who cares?!?

NV2nTgi.png

To Boldly Go

If we want to get the most research possible done out there, we need to explore as many new biomes as we can. Government grants from exploration programs will ultimately help us fund further exploration and research.

ZgYvtwW.png

Probe Frenzy

If we want to do some research, then probes are the way to go. What we save on sending Kerbals out there can be spent on a vast fleet of autonomous probes.

em7rBhb.png

Local Science

There are so many research opportunities right in our back yard. We should focus on local research to bootstrap our space program. That way when we do make it further out there, we'll be sending the best technology we can.

6p6wDyH.png

Stagnated Research

There are several conservative groups on Kerbin that think we've gone too far, too fast. We're not about to shut down the space program, but maybe slowing down our development of new technology to appease these groups will get us some goodwill and ensure that they don't burn down KSC?

Hn9AL1a.png

Free Ice Cream

We've come up with a crazy idea - giving out free ice cream at the space center. The public will absolutely love us. If we push the program far enough, we'll get better rewards for rescuing Kerbals (they'll get ice cream when they land!) and maybe even be able to get a discount on hiring new astronauts. FREE. ICE. CREAM.

SEOg6zY.png

Media Circus

To make a reputable space program, we need to ramp up the media involvement. Cameras everywhere, coverage 6 hours a day, 426 days a years. Of course, this could easily backfire if we have any... accidents.

PPjPDL2.png

Pilot Focus

Clearly the most important role among our astronauts is that of the pilot. Without a skilled pilot, nobody is going to space today (or any other day). Shall we build our space program around our brave pilots?

fFCgzdi.png

Engineer Focus

Where would we be without our engineers? They make sure everything is in order to get the other astronauts up and down safely. Shall we build our space program around the skilled engineer?

9iAOmTS.png

Scientist Focus

The scientist is the key role that we need to focus on. A skilled scientist knows exactly which sample to send back to maximize our science gain (we can only fit so many Mun rocks in those capsules). Shall we build our space program around our brilliant scientists?

Download

CKAN: In CKAN, select and download the mod "Strategia".

GitHub: For the direct download option, please ensure you have all the dependencies before raising a support request:

1. Contract Configurator is a required dependency and can be downloaded from its release thread.
  2. Custom Barn Kit is a required dependency and can be downloaded from its release thread.
  3. ModuleManager is a required dependency and can be downloaded from its release thread.
  4. Strategia can be downloaded from GitHub.

Source

The full source is available on GitHub.

Change Log

Spoiler

Strategia 1.8.0

• Rebuild for KSP 1.8.0
  • Minor typo correction (thanks Galenmacil).

Strategia 1.7.3

• Rebuild for KSP 1.5.x.
  • Fixed active strategy text in facility right-click menu (thanks avalancha).

Strategia 1.7.2

• Fixed logic for determining strategy level - this was causing some strategies to be the same for all levels (thanks ibanix).
  • Fixed Astronaut Training Strategies not actually costing extra (thanks Jukelo).

Strategia 1.7.1

• Fixed some issues with the kerbal portraits not refreshing properly when the level is dynamically changed (thanks zwinst).
  • Fixed error handling when tech tree can't be loaded (thanks zwinst).
  • Fixed the astronaut training strategy that was broken in 1.7.0 (thanks MistaJunior).
  • Fixed ugly number format in some places.

Strategia 1.7.0

• Rebuild for KSP 1.4.1.
  • Fixed issue where the level boosting strategies could boost a level too high and break things (thanks Mihara).
  • Removed stock references to slider values in messages for strategies that weren't available due to insufficient Admin Building level.

Strategia 1.6.0

• Rebuild for KSP 1.3.0.
  • Celestial body programs now increase the likelihood of receiving contracts related to the celestial body in question.
  • Fixed issue where removal of contract decline penalty on contract slot machine was permanent.

Strategia 1.5.0

• Massive Scale Launches strategy now incrementally gives the bonuses (you can still get the level 1 bonus if you don't meet the threshold for level 3).
  • Show the correct max number of strategies on the description text of the Administration building.
  • Minor Operations department balance (thanks Stratickus).
  • Reduce Kerbal recovery reputation by a factor of 10 (thanks BureauJaeger).
  • Fix issue with Stagnated Research not being selectable (thanks Stratickus).
  • Adjust order of Gene/Wernher in the admin building.
  • Use correct currency symbols.

Strategia 1.4.0

• Rebuild for KSP 1.2.x.

Strategia 1.3.0

• Added basic support for ResearchBodies (strategies for unresearched bodies are unavailable).
  • Combine popups triggered with the same text/purpose.
  • Made contracts work better with Contract Configurator 1.15.x.
  • Added loading tip.
  • Fixed To Boldly Go not awarding bonuses when the science reward slider isn't set to 100% (thanks Smu).
  • Fixed minor issues with currency popups.

Strategia 1.2.4

• No longer lose reputation bonuses when upgrading/downgrading within the Free Ice Cream I/II/III strategies (thanks ibanix).
  • Bonuses/maluses are preserved when upgrading or downgrading Free Ice Cream.
  • Don't change active contracts when activating Free Ice Cream for the first time (thanks ZachPruckowski).
  • Increased Moho rewards for various strategies (thanks ibanix).
  • Fixed mission requirement in moon probe strategies (thanks ibanix).

Strategia 1.2.3

• Corrected minimum Contract Configurator version checking.
  • Fixed moon probe strategies to not be mutually exclusive (thanks westamastaflash).
  • CurrencyOperationByContract now looks at child groups as well.
  • Fixed broken Custom Barn Kit check.
  • Allow splashed or landed for probe contracts (thanks Norcalplanner).
  • Moon probe strategies stop being offered once the moon in quest is orbited, not just reached.

Strategia 1.2.2

• Output the adjusted number of max strategies allowed in the admin building so that people stop posting about it in the thread (thanks literally everyone).
  • Fixed exceptions when researching a tech (thanks smjjames).
  • Change currency popups symbols to work around font issue.
  • Fixed exception loading Massive Scale Launches (thanks KocLobster).
  • Workaround for KSP 1.1 bug where vertical scrollbars don't work in Admin UI.
  • Fixed some issues with cancelling contract-based strategies.
  • Allow a Kerbal returning being landed on a moon to trigger the planetary strategies to handle cases where the ship doesn't make it home (thanks dlrk).
  • Fixed Pilot Focus III ISP adjustments with multi-mode engines (thanks lude).

Strategia 1.2.1

• Fixed Pilot/Engineer/Scientist Focus strategies not actually giving the stated contract bonuses (thanks DeathProphet).
  • Fixed compatibility with Sigma Binary (thanks sentania).
  • Fixed hint text for crewed/uncrewed missions (thanks severedsolo).
  • Fixed planetary probe strategies so they can't be re-done (thanks ibanix).
  • Fixed reputation/funds being lost on scene change - normally after the quicksave but breaks KRASH (thanks garwel and linuxgurugamer).

Strategia 1.2.0

• Support for KSP 1.1
  • Fixed additional issue with incorrect ISP assignment in Pilot Focus III (thanks TorgHacker).
  • Increased the cache size for the contract slot machine strategy.

Strategia 1.1.1

• Fixed issue with reputation being awarded when it's not supposed to (thanks Wercho).
  • Make crewed mission requirement a little bit clearer (thanks Zoidos).
  • Make moon uncrewed missions only require an orbit of the homeworld (thanks a_shack).
  • Fixed issue with FlyBy mission caused by Contract Configurator 1.9.8 (thanks smjjames).

Strategia 1.1.0

• Mun/Minmus Program can each be completed in turn.
  • Created a logo for the contract agent.
  • Changed Media Circus I bonus to prevent infinite reputation exploit.
  • Added support for Sigma Binary.
  • Fixed impactor contracts for some configurations (thanks smjjames).
  • Fixed bug that allowed more than the max number of strategies to be active if the last one was a mission strategy (thanks Death Engineering).
  • Fixed issue where Massive Scale Launch bonuses would apply when going from landed => orbit on *any* body (thanks smjjames).
  • Fixed Astronaut Training exception when hiring two crew members in quick succession (thanks smjjames).
  • Fixed strategies that change vessel values (like Pilot Focus III) to check for more events - like crew transfers (thanks smjjames).
  • Force set ISP when changing it in Pilot Focus III (thanks smjjames).
  • Fixed possible issue with multipliers when switching between Pilot/Engineer focuses.
  • Fixed issue where Contract Slot Machine values kep getting re-rolled (thanks smjjames).
  • Fixed issue where Free Ice Cream time-counter would reset each time a save is loaded.

Strategia 1.0.0

• Initial release.

Special Thanks

• sarbian - For mods like ModuleManager and Custom Barn Kit that make my life a lot easier.
  • smjjames  - For the ridiculous amount of bugs he found during the beta phase.

License

Strategia is licensed under the MIT license.

btn_donate_SM.gif Like what you see? Consider donating to the coffee fund! It will not go directly to supporting this or other mods under my care, but it may keep my motivation up!

Edited by nightingale

21 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

So these operate like meta-contracts, providing a framework for the actual contracts that appear? 

Not quite - the mission ones will actually give you a contract, but the contracts have a very high level goal ("Land a Kerbal on the Mun", "Do an uncrewed fly-by of three different planets").  They can have a drastic effect on the milestone awards given (quadrupling them for the selected body or quartering it for other bodies).  I may look at having it impact contracts in the future, but stock KSP doesn't give an easy way to tell the contract system to generate more contracts for a given celestial body (mostly it's based off the player's progress).

2 hours ago, Samapico said:

FYI: The CKAN metadata for the mod has the link to the old forum post.

This looks pretty awesome!

Thanks, forgot to update that.  Not sure if that's something that will take effect on CKAN's next hourly pass, or if it will wait for next release.  Either way I'm not too concerned, as it'll get fixed eventually.

Just now, nightingale said:

Did I end up using the term month in there?  I thought I changed it to explicitly say 30 days...   we are talking about Free Ice Cream, right?

Yes, I was talking about Free Ice Cream. And it does say 30 days, just checked.

1 hour ago, Svm420 said:

@nightingale I didn't see it mentioned, but did you get mod support for Realfuel and Realchute for release as you mentioned in the dev thread. Really been looking forward to this mod for a long time. ;) 

Ah, totally forgot about that, I even had a tracker issue for it. I'll definitely catch that for the next release. 

5 hours ago, nightingale said:

Thanks, forgot to update that.  Not sure if that's something that will take effect on CKAN's next hourly pass, or if it will wait for next release.  Either way I'm not too concerned, as it'll get fixed eventually.

It's linking to this thread now.

@nightingale @Sigma88 Just a heads-up that when using this with the Duna-Ike Sigma Binary config, the "Duna Program" strategies get replaced with "DunaIke Program" which have landing on the DunaIke body as one of their requirements, which is impossible due to DunaIke being entirely non-solid. I imagine this is also the same for any other binary systems added by Sigma Binary.

Removing the Duna-Ike binary config (and thus making Duna and Ike no longer a binary system) changed the strategy back to the normal "Duna Program" one.

Actually, having the Duna program include Ike as a bonus and optional side to it sounds like a neat idea.

Also, when a strategia mission is active and CapCom is on the active missions tab, the debug readout spams [warning] null texture passed to GUI.DrawTexture. I suspect that it's because the flag is blank or a placeholder.

I did post about it in the CapCom thread, but DMagic didn't say anything about it.

Edited by smjjames

58 minutes ago, GreenWolf said:

@nightingale @Sigma88 Just a heads-up that when using this with the Duna-Ike Sigma Binary config, the "Duna Program" strategies get replaced with "DunaIke Program" which have landing on the DunaIke body as one of their requirements, which is impossible due to DunaIke being entirely non-solid. I imagine this is also the same for any other binary systems added by Sigma Binary.

Removing the Duna-Ike binary config (and thus making Duna and Ike no longer a binary system) changed the strategy back to the normal "Duna Program" one.

Oh yeah, that's a good one.  Easy enough to fix, I need to add some logic to decide what a "planet" actually is (something I'd previously done in Contract Configurator).  Raised #20.

44 minutes ago, smjjames said:

Actually, having the Duna program include Ike as a bonus and optional side to it sounds like a neat idea.

Also, when a strategia mission is active and CapCom is on the active missions tab, the debug readout spams [warning] null texture passed to GUI.DrawTexture. I suspect that it's because the flag is blank or a placeholder.

I did post about it in the CapCom thread, but DMagic didn't say anything about it.

Right, I forgot to add that before release.  Raised #21.

What an excellent idea. Since this is already largely how I play my career mode, this will add yet another layer of depth. Great work!

So I've decided to add it to my current RSS/RO/RP-0 career, which is still in its infancy, having only completed some basic earth orbits as well as one lunar flyby and one lunar orbit probe.

One thing though:

The Administration Facility says it can have two max active strategies:

Spoiler

fb4409fdfa.jpg

But in the Strategia screen, it says the building cannot support more than one:

Spoiler

c30d80019b.jpg

A bug or just not being able to fiddle with the administration building? Or because I added it to an existing game?

8 hours ago, a_schack said:

A bug or just not being able to fiddle with the administration building? Or because I added it to an existing game?

A known bug - the bug being that the space centre screen is wrong.  I increase the amount so that the upgrades work (you'll momentarily have one too many strategies when upgrading, so I need to account for that.  When KSP 1.1 comes out I'll try to hack the GUI, but there's no point doing it before then (since I'll have to redo it in 1.1 anyway).

I just installed the mod to use in my current career game. I had a level 1 administration building. I upgraded it to level 3 and went in in it to check out the strategies. The "admin level requirement" was saying my building was still level 1.

After exiting the building, I hit the "Facility reset" button (from the "Facility Reset for 64 bit" mod) and it put my building back to level 1.

I'm not sure if this is a x64 compatibility issue, or this mod handling the building level up in a way that the magic reset button doesn't support properly, or just a bug... I made a copy of the log file if you want; I'm just not sure the best way to upload it. Pastebin doesn't seem to like handling 1000KB of text.

My save file shows lvl = 0 for both Administration and SpaceCenter/Administration...

Spoiler

SCENARIO
    {
        name = ScenarioUpgradeableFacilities
        scene = 5, 6, 7, 8
        SpaceCenter/LaunchPad
        {
            lvl = 1
        }
        SpaceCenter/Runway
        {
            lvl = 1
        }
        SpaceCenter/VehicleAssemblyBuilding
        {
            lvl = 1
        }
        SpaceCenter/SpaceplaneHangar
        {
            lvl = 0.5
        }
        SpaceCenter/TrackingStation
        {
            lvl = 0.5
        }
        SpaceCenter/AstronautComplex
        {
            lvl = 0.5
        }
        SpaceCenter/MissionControl
        {
            lvl = 1
        }
        SpaceCenter/ResearchAndDevelopment
        {
            lvl = 0.5
        }
        SpaceCenter/Administration
        {
            lvl = 0
        }
        SpaceCenter/FlagPole
        {
            lvl = 0
        }
        VehicleAssemblyBuilding
        {
            lvl = 1
        }
        TrackingStation
        {
            lvl = 0.5
        }
        SpaceplaneHangar
        {
            lvl = 0.5
        }
        ResearchAndDevelopment
        {
            lvl = 0.5
        }
        AstronautComplex
        {
            lvl = 0.5
        }
        Administration
        {
            lvl = 0
        }
    }

I guess I'll just go ahead and set them to 1, I guess. Not sure why there are two entries, though.

Edit: Even though my admin building now appears correctly upgraded, the strategies still can't be activated:

Spoiler

7af4fc61ef.jpg

74fcff1c81.jpg

Edited by Samapico