Solar panels as landing legs?

Sputnik 1

After getting a probe around Eve I realized that I had way too much fuel left, so I decided to get into orbit around it's moon Gilly. Even after achieving orbit I still had a ton of fuel to spare, so I had an idea, time to land on Gilly! Note: This probe was never meant to land on something and had no landing legs or gears. So after doing a few burns I was in a suborbital trajectory. Using my nuclear engine I managed to slow the probe down and land. But what did I use to land?

we8ublb.jpg?1 The solar panels of course! Thanks to Gilly's low gravity and the power of SAS I managed to balance the ship on it's panels and return to orbit around Eve. Looks like Jeb has some competition when it comes to landing skills :D

Also I decoupled the nuclear engine and fuel tank before landing to reduce weight.

And yet I lose my solar panels when errant Kerbals fly into them :D

I don't think this kind of landing is for me. I seem to recall in the not too distant past landing an admittedly large lander on minmus and breaking one of the industrial landing gear (permanently compressed).

23 hours ago, AlextheBodacious said:

I... wow. But tip: You don't need more than 2 solar panels per stage, and you could've landed on your engine if you wanted to.

On Gilly?  Could have landed on anything.  (Even solar panels, thus the post...)

Gilly's gravity is so light that you don't "land" on it, so much as dock with it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.