I just said no to CKAN... ugh

Sovek

So I'm a tad addicted to mods, and my GPU/CPU just isn't capable of dealing with OpenGL (not to mention the whole host of glitches that brings) and used the X64 Community Workaround. So far the only real bug is the buildings, but I found I lost little to nothing when I simply started with a fully upgraded space complex and just bought all my parts anyway.

But there was one really REALLY nasty bug. It was if I had a phantom joystick or seperate SAS mode activated when I didn't (neither MechJeb or RemoteTech) that kept wanting to induce an extreme left or right roll. Things would be fine if you turn SAS on, but any attempt at a roll command with fine controls enabled issued an immediate reversal of your command as soon as you stopped the roll command and would often go past that, making you only able to roll in one direction.Now normally, this wouldnt be a problem, however with SETI Rebalance and the pretty much universal removal of reaction wheels and needing RCS... this proved to be a major fuel waster.

So after being fed up with a glitch in my save that caused Kerbal Alarm Clock to freeze the game at timewarp anytime I was flying a ship (but only at 1000x and above), and my wanting of alarms for Transfer Windows, and being overall fed up with the phantom roll commands, I decided to do a complete new install and downloaded all my mods Via GitHub, KerbalStuff and Curse (where applicable).... I am pleased to report that at least the roll command bug seems squashed (YAY)...

Therefore, I'm done with CKAN... For all I know there were folders that I didn't need... not sure though.

4 hours ago, Sovek said:

X64 Community Workaround. So far the only real bug is the buildings

I'm on X64. Buildings bug is solved by the mod 

But unfortunately there's damn annoying right click menu bug when you have to click hell of it to make part menu appear.

However never had issue with phantom roll induced by CKAN or x64, so... I think OP is unfair.

5 hours ago, Sovek said:

But there was one really REALLY nasty bug. It was if I had a phantom joystick or seperate SAS mode activated when I didn't (neither MechJeb or RemoteTech) that kept wanting to induce an extreme left or right roll. Things would be fine if you turn SAS on, but any attempt at a roll command with fine controls enabled issued an immediate reversal of your command as soon as you stopped the roll command and would often go past that, making you only able to roll in one direction

By any chance, did you physics warp during ascent / orbit and kept pushing the ALT button while maneuvering? If so you trimmed the controls and this results in roll / pitch without pushing anything. To counteract , check your control indicators and see if they're out of center. If so, push ALT - X to reset it. Took me some time too to figure it out. 

1 hour ago, Theysen said:

By any chance, did you physics warp during ascent / orbit and kept pushing the ALT button while maneuvering? If so you trimmed the controls and this results in roll / pitch without pushing anything. To counteract , check your control indicators and see if they're out of center. If so, push ALT - X to reset it. Took me some time too to figure it out. 

Nope... no physics warp and roll was pretty good with SAS with multiple engines.. You could even get the bug when you ran a simulation under KCT when you placed the craft in orbit. I tried ALT X the first time this showed up, Nothing.

5 hours ago, Theysen said:

This gets me more times that I'd care to admit, especially when flying spaceplanes. I try to build balanced planes and trim them by hand during flight, rather than turning on SAS. It seems far more genuine, but often results in me having a tiny amount of control input after landing or reaching orbit and I scratch my head for a few minutes trying to figure out why I'm slowly draining electricity & RCS fuel... :)

As to CKAN itself, I use it regularly, but completely agree with many of the complaints against it. It's not a one-tool-does-it-all solution, and can't replace simple manual installs of KSP mods. It's best to think of it as a time-saving shortcut for installing dozens of routine, common mods, and a working knowledge of what's going on in the GameData folder is still required to maintain the game properly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.