64k SSTO?

Joco223

I had almost made two back in 0.23.5 using Real Fuels/AJE/FAR in 6.4x (now 64K).  Engines were the SR-71 analogues I think, and I tried with both hypergolics and kerolox.  Payload was scant, even with 64K's better-than-Earth fraction.  The biggest problem with SSTO aircraft on a larger home planet is that you have to have bring enough rocket fuel with you in order to make up orbital velocity from somewhere around Mach 3, which means that your jet engines are dead weight for much of the trip to orbit.  You could potentially cluster SABRE equivalents (theoreticals, actually, the engine has never been fired, or built for that matter) and make it, and I think some people have, but when it comes down to it the best way to get your payload into orbit is using an actual rocket.

Orbiters or spaceplanes with drop-tanks (or drop-engines, even) would be much easier, but we use rockets here on Earth for what should be obvious reasons.

As far as variable geometry, I know some people have tried in the past with IR, but I'm not sure how well that would do with voxel-FAR nowadays and it wouldn't really help with KSP's normal aero system since IIRC it always assumes ideal wing shape.

Edited by regex

@regex I think im just going to make reusable rockets, because im not that good plane builder. (My best SSTO was able to get 4 kerbals in orbit). I'll leave the 64k SSTO thing to someone with better skills than me. Another thing, for rockets 2nd stage, how am i going to get back into atmosphere without burning up?

--EDIT--

Nvm, figured it out

Edited by Joco223

7 minutes ago, Joco223 said:

@regex Sorry for bothering you, but how can i control first stage of rocket after seperation? I get away from it pretty quickly. Extend phisycs range somehow?

I never bothered.  There is a mod that allows you to "record" the flight and go back in time to control the earlier stages, but I don't recall what it was called, whether it has been updated, or how well it works.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.