"Dawn" Ion Engine Suggestion

Will you...  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Support this?

• Yes
    • No

Just now, KerbonautInTraining said:

Oh, so obviously I misread your formulas... oops. I'm far too tired right now to figure out what I messed up

My favorite!

Oh. Also, forgot to put a Gau-8. That has similar thrust power.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2016 at 3:57 PM, The Optimist said:

No. It is not "more powerful than some jet engines". Ion thrusters have a maximum amount of energy you can apply to each particle, and after that limit the only way for more thrust is to have a larger engine area.

I disagree--while there might be practical limits based on the size of the craft the theoretical limits are *far* beyond anything we have done.  The more voltage you apply the faster the particle moves.  If you want a truly insane ISP mount a small particle accelerator on your craft.  Of course you'll need an insane power source and you'll probably die of old age before you get where you're going.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2016 at 1:29 AM, Loren Pechtel said:

I disagree--while there might be practical limits based on the size of the craft the theoretical limits are *far* beyond anything we have done.  The more voltage you apply the faster the particle moves.  If you want a truly insane ISP mount a small particle accelerator on your craft.  Of course you'll need an insane power source and you'll probably die of old age before you get where you're going.

Link pls

Ion engine is fine as-is, if anything the thrust should be severely reduced.

On 2/16/2016 at 7:11 AM, Pds314 said:

the LV-N is about realistic other than that it uses kerosene instead of H2

It actually uses something closer to Aerozine50.  We still don't have any hard numbers on density because KSP doesn't use SI units, but the specific heat of LiquidFuel and Oxidizer, as well as chemical engine isps, are all modeled after Aerozine50/N2O4.

In KSP you're basically flying an early United States ICBM-based space program.

Edited by regex

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.