Rescue Missions - Seriously?

How the =(&$& do those Kerbals get lost inside the orbit of Moho?

I mean, really? I need - so far - two vessels to do this. Each worth more than half a million creds. One to do the actual rescue and one to get some fuel there.

AND I have three of them underway at this point. AND two of them require me to get their damn vessel back.

I mean, what is this? At this point I am not even thinking about going to Moho. The "Ares"-mission to Duna seems pretty solid at this point (waiting for the return window) and the "Lucifer"-mission to Eve is in the staging process. Anything beyond that... not right now.

So, it can't be my Space agency that lost those poor schmucks there. So it must have been some other lowbrains that couldn't do it and left their pilots out there without much hope of getting back. (Funny enough, all are pilots)

But I just CAN'T leave some fellow Kerbals out in deep space. Call me a altruist or something. If I'd be stuck in a place like this, I'd like to think somebody was at least trying to get me out of that mess...

DAMN! Probably should set up some fuel rig on Gilly, once the window to Eve opens up, to get them enough deltavee to get back.

I mean, what is this? Some pilot stuck out there (in there, rather) and two rescue missions gone haywire?

And now it's up to me to get those poor stand-up guys back home.

Oh well.

Ok, so this is not much of a question, really. But maybe I am overlooking a simple solution... call it "brainstorm". Any suggestions?

Facts are these: I have three pilots (!) in vessels orbiting the sun inside the orbit of Moho (but thankfully not with Mohos inclination). I have two rescue vessels on the way. One is already in an orbit just inside Mohos orbit, the other will establish one like it. One refuelling mission is waiting to rendezvous with the first (and expending 4000 m/s in doing so) and the second one will start once the second one has reached orbit around the sun so a rendezvous can be calculated.

And a third lost Kerbal just popped up, this time without retrieval of the vessel. Just the guy. Vessel is in LKO and is in the process of refuelling at this point.

Crap! Maybe someone could invent "beaming" or some such...

Tokay

I haven't done these kinds of missions, but I could imagine the best way to do them is by using a reusable kind of shuttle or mobile station to go out to the Kerbals and bring them home.

Just decline the mission though if the amount you will get payed is less than what you need to pay to do the mission.

Edited by Clockwork13

There are so many ways, each the best their own way...

These days I'm pushing their pods down to Kerbin while testing the required PE for an EVA kerbal to survive re-entry on different velocities. Before that I loved to have one of these on orbit until one got filled.

rDyLtO1.png

Though a fully reusable shuttle / rocket / spaceplane would be the most cost-efficient, those need pretty late technologies. In the early career conventional rockers with pod-'chute packs are perfectly satisfactory.

"How do you know that they are pilots? I can't seem to get that info out of my game, until I'm less than 2.3km from their craft."

They appear in the astronaut (shouldn't that be "Kerbonaut"?) complex as "assigned".

"Well, if you've ever had a Moho mission go wrong, I'm sure you know the answer"

I know... in a previous save I had some Kerbals stranded there.... but never in an orbit around Kerbol closer than Mohos orbit... 

Tokay

Edited by Tokay Gris

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.