[1.0.5] Contract Pack: Clever Sats 0.2 [BETA] 17/02/16

severedsolo

I really like the satellite contracts in KSP, but I get fed up of KSP asking me to move my Remote Tech or SCANsat probes. So, I decided to try and fix it. I present to you: Clever Sats. A replacement for stock Satellite Contracts.

How is this different to the stock Satellite contracts?

The stock system will cast around for any vessel which has an antennae, probe core, and solar panels, and decide it's a valid target. This is fine for stock games but for those of us running RemoteTech, or SCANsat (or other satellite mods) it will ask you to move all of them, regardless of function. Yes I can ignore those contracts, but I'd rather not have irrelevant contracts generate at all.

So, what does Clever Sats do differently? Basically, every time you put complete a contract to launch a new satellite, that satellite will be added to a list. When we start looking for satellites to move, we will only consider vessels on the list. This means that comms relays, scansat probes etc. will be left alone.

Sounds good. So why is this in Addon Development?

Two reasons. Firstly, it requires an unreleased version of Contract Configurator. The second reason is, that it isn't really finished. I've got it to a point where I'm basically happy with the way orbits are generating, but I need help with playtesting and reward balancing. That's where you come in!

What sort of contracts can I expect from this pack?

Right now, I have these missions:

• The basic "launch a satellite into orbit" mission. This is pretty much like the stock missions. The harder the contract, the further out, and the wilder the orbit. You'll probably find that one star contracts will give you mainly equatorial, low orbits. Three stars, well all bets are off.
  • Create a satellite constellation - this is a bit of a clever one. It will try and find two satellites which are close by. If it finds them, you'll be asked to synchronise their orbits. Any satellites that are part of a "constellation" should be ignored by other missions (but see Known Issues)
  • Move a Satellite - this is basically like the stock enhanced contracts, you'll be asked to move your satellite to a new position.
  • Move a Constellation - move a constellation of satellites to a new position.
  • (Coming Soon) - Decommission a satellite
  • (Coming Soon) - Repair a faulty satellite

What can I do to help?

1) Grab the latest development version of Contract Configurator from here: https://codeload.github.com/jrossignol/ContractConfigurator/zip/master

2) Grab Clever Sats from here: https://github.com/severedsolo/CleverSat/releases

3) Play, and give me feedback.

4) Profit

Special Thanks

@nightingale as ever, for his tireless hard work on Contract Configurator

License

CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0

Source available at the release link above.

Edited by severedsolo

Neat, that explains some of the features you've been asking for!  I'm pretty close to getting the latest release out, just haven't had time to look into the last one or two bugs.  Will try to get that out soon for you.

Meanwhile, I have some GPS contracts that have been sitting around forever that I haven't had time to make into something useful they have lots of problems:

1. They require parts from the Figaro mod (I was just going to rip those parameters out to make it generic).
  2. They are old (before ITERATOR nodes).  Adding that would probably reduce the size/maintainability significantly.
  3. They are old (before expressions).  So yeah, I've got different contracts for Kerbin/Mun/Minmus, which is obviously not how I'd do it now.

Anyway, feel free to make use of them.  I hereby release these config files to @severedsolo without any restrictions.

21 hours ago, nightingale said:

Meanwhile, I have some GPS contracts that have been sitting around forever that I haven't had time to make into something useful they have lots of problems:

Thanks! GPS is on the "maybe" list, so that will be useful.

In other news, another day, another release.

CleverSat 0.2 is now available

- Fixed a few bugs with timers not finishing properly due to bad nesting.

- Added a new mission - Malfunctioning Probes.

I'm really proud of the Malfunctioning probe mission. It has 3 possible endings, and which one you get is generated at random. There are some fun sci-fi and fantasy references in there too.

https://github.com/severedsolo/CleverSat/releases/tag/0.2