Ore Contract Question

I am looking at a contract asking me to mine 1050 units of fresh ore from Gilly.  I planned to send my mini-ISRU SSTO to Gilly to refuel for a later mission to Moho, but it's ore capacity is 150.  Could I theoretically complete this contract?

Bonus question: If so, will it still count the ore mined if I run the ISRU at the same time to immediately refine the fuel?

that should be ok. Used to have a mining station on Minmus and more or less the same contract. I converted the ore directly as well and the contract completed without any problems.

Have fun at Moho! I´m building a station there at the moment...keep in mind that you need ridicolous ridiculous amounts of delta-v to get captured (around 3000 m/s, well, from kerbin)! :)

Edited by David104

9 minutes ago, David104 said:

that should be ok. Used to have a mining station on Minmus and more or less the same contract. I converted the ore directly as well and the contract completed without any problems.

Have fun at Moho! I´m building a station there at the moment...keep in mind that you need ridicolous ridiculous amounts of delta-v to get captured (around 3000 m/s, well, from kerbin)! :)

Yes, my SSTO has a range of 5000 delta-v, shaving it a bit too thin for landing in my opinion (and if I don't land, I don't refuel), so I figure a stopover at Gilly will increase the safety margin (since I've never even attempted to go to Moho before) and hopefully provide a kerbal paycheck.

Edited by Edax

11 hours ago, Edax said:

I am looking at a contract asking me to mine 1050 units of fresh ore from Gilly.  I planned to send my mini-ISRU SSTO to Gilly to refuel for a later mission to Moho, but it's ore capacity is 150.  Could I theoretically complete this contract?

Bonus question: If so, will it still count the ore mined if I run the ISRU at the same time to immediately refine the fuel?

AFAIK, contracts that only specify mining a given amount only look at the total extracted over time, not the amount you have in storage at any point in time.  This means you don't even have to extract the total amount of ore in 1 sitting.  Say you refuel Ship A that at the time needs only 600 ore's worth of fuel.  Then weeks later,  you refuel Ship B that needs only 500 ore's worth of fuel, the miner has by no extracted 1100 units total, which would satisfy the contract.  I'm pretty sure this is correct.

Yes, this is correct.  If it only says "mine 1050 units of fresh ore," it requires only that you mine it, not that you have it.  It keeps track of the ore as it's mined and crosses it off the list.  You can vent the ore, accumulate it, immediately ISRU it into fuel, whatever you like.  I've done this and can confirm that it's correct.

There are contracts that want you to have ore, but if so, it will say so, e.g. "Have N units of ore on your ship."  (Fun fact:  if there's a contract that specifies both "mine N units of ore from <place>" and "have N units of ore on your ship", they don't have to be the same.  That is, the ore on your ship doesn't have to be the same ore that you mined, nor does it even have to be the same ship.)

On 21/2/2016 at 0:40 AM, Snark said:

Yes, this is correct.  If it only says "mine 1050 units of fresh ore," it requires only that you mine it, not that you have it.  It keeps track of the ore as it's mined and crosses it off the list.  You can vent the ore, accumulate it, immediately ISRU it into fuel, whatever you like.  I've done this and can confirm that it's correct.

There are contracts that want you to have ore, but if so, it will say so, e.g. "Have N units of ore on your ship."  (Fun fact:  if there's a contract that specifies both "mine N units of ore from <place>" and "have N units of ore on your ship", they don't have to be the same.  That is, the ore on your ship doesn't have to be the same ore that you mined, nor does it even have to be the same ship.)

Ah. That might be quite useful (though my RP self might object) since I stupidly accepted a contract in early career to "mine 2350 ore on Eve" and "deliver 2350 ore to Gilly". The cash advance was excellent... but I'm struggling to design a lander that could possibly lift 2350 ore from Eve.

1 hour ago, Plusck said:

Ah. That might be quite useful (though my RP self might object) since I stupidly accepted a contract in early career to "mine 2350 ore on Eve" and "deliver 2350 ore to Gilly". The cash advance was excellent... but I'm struggling to design a lander that could possibly lift 2350 ore from Eve.

Yep.  Mine the ore on Eve and leave it there.  Then mine some ore on Gilly and you're good to go.  (Or bring ore to Gilly, though for that much ore it's probably cheaper to send a mining rig and mine it there.)

My personal favorite is the supposed "Bring N units of ore from <somewhere> to Kerbin" contract.

1. mine that many units of ore at <somewhere>
  2. launch a new ship on Kerbin that already has N units of ore on it when it launches
  3. bingo, contract completes the moment it hits the launchpad ;)

6 hours ago, Snark said:

Yep.  Mine the ore on Eve and leave it there.  Then mine some ore on Gilly and you're good to go.  (Or bring ore to Gilly, though for that much ore it's probably cheaper to send a mining rig and mine it there.)

My personal favorite is the supposed "Bring N units of ore from <somewhere> to Kerbin" contract.

1. mine that many units of ore at <somewhere>
  2. launch a new ship on Kerbin that already has N units of ore on it when it launches
  3. bingo, contract completes the moment it hits the launchpad ;)

Hmm, didn't know it was possible to "lawyer" these contracts.  The phrasing on mine is always "mine X amount on A and deliber it to B".

However, even with the above, there are still some impossible mining contracts.  Such as, mining it on Jool (or other gas giant if you've got one), all of which, setting aside their lack of (or Kraken-infested) surfaces, are all hard-coded to have zero Ore to begin with.

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

Hmm, didn't know it was possible to "lawyer" these contracts.  The phrasing on mine is always "mine X amount on A and deliver it to B".

Yeah, that's what bites people:  contract titles (e.g. mine ore from A and deliver it to B) are completely non-binding and irrelevant as far as the game is concerned-- they're chatty descriptions, nothing more.

What actually matters are the conditions, and word-by-word-reading of them.  So, yeah, lawyering.  :)

Edited by Snark

• 10 months later...

I did that with a mission where they wanted me to mine X ore on Minmus and land it on Kerbin. After meeting the mining objective, I just put together a ship that was nothing but a couple of large ore containers (and set them to spawn with X ore with a right click), a Stayputnik, and a couple of the smallest boosters with almost no fuel, and made it "hop" on the launch pad. Contract complete. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.