Matt Lowne's SSTO Emporium

Matt Lowne

Welcome to Spaceplane Innovations, the online leader in executive Spaceplane sales. Dropping tanks is so yesterday, earn back some self-respect by going fully-reusable today! We have Interplanetary leviathans and nimble Mun Hoppers, Single-stage-to-anywheres and Cargo-carrying brutes. All capable of high crew capacity and total galactic dominance. Shop now, the SSTO of your dreams is just a click away. We also make rockets.

View the full catalogue!

Click to view the full catalogue!

EFAguE1.jpg

Artemis Class

These spaceplanes are the biggest of the bunch (so far), consisting of 3 Mk3 fuselages side-by-side, with the ability to carry an enormous amount of cargo/crew to many different interplanetary destinations.

• The Archangel is the first of the Artemis line, and has the ability to easily go to Duna or Mun with 60 Kerbals, and pilots who have a good grasp of gravity assists will find further destinations, such as Eeloo, very possible as well!
    Video - Mun mission
    Video - Eeloo mission
  • The Artemis is a monstrous spaceplane capable of carrying 124 kerbals to LKO with just over 4,000 m/s of DeltaV to spare. It can't fly quite as far as the Archangel, but it is quite capable of going to Laythe and back without refuelling.
    Video - Laythe mission
  • Archangel Download

Archangel Download

Archangel v2 Download

Artemis Download

Argus Class

These spaceplanes are big, brutal, and capable of interplanetary missions without breaking a sweat, independent of mining or refuelling. WARNING: You will need to replace the landing gear on the Argus II and Engadine with larger ones if you're playing in 1.1 or later. The Odyssey will work fine though.

• The Argus was built as a Bop SSTO, but in the end was mainly used for Duna cargo missions and Eeloo voyages. It doesn't work so great in 1.05, and so is no longer sold by Spaceplane Innovations.
    Video - Eeloo mission
    Video - Duna mission
  • The Engadine was the hugely popular successor to the Argus, packing more DeltaV and a massive 20 Kerbal capacity. So far it has only been used for Mun landings, but we at Spaceplane Innovations believe it could easily be used for Duna returns too.
    Video
  • The Argus II was built following the success of the Engadine as an ultra-long-range SSTO. It has more m/s of DeltaV in LKO than any other SSTO produced by Spaceplane Innovations.
    Video
  • The Odyssey was built to replace the legendary Engadine. doubling its crew capacity while retaining its high range. Duna and Gilly missions are well within its capabilities, as well as Eeloo and Jool for those who have mastered the fine art of gravity assists. 
    Video - Mun mission

Make no mistake: these planes are unruly, bulky, unbalanced and difficult to tame. They are therefore best suited to more adept pilots who understand gravity assists and how to efficiently ascend from Kerbin. They're hard to master, but for those with the patience to learn their functions the pay-off is huge.

Argus II Download 

Engadine Download 

Odyssey Download

Acacius Class

Acacius ships have an IRSU on board and are capable of refuelling themselves using mining equipment. These are at the forefront of exploration, and are the best "single-stage-to-anywhere" planes we offer! Only one model is currently available for consumers: The Acacius 2 is the first SSTO produced by Spaceplane Innovations to feature the "Single Stage to Everywhere" guarantee. Doesn't do Tylo. Or Eve. Or Jool. These craft are ideal for beginners who want to get to grips with gravity assists or the Jool system, without having to worry about fuel. WARNING: You may need to replace the landing gear with larger ones if you're playing in 1.1 or later.

Video

Acacius 2 Download

Dune Class

Before the Argus class, there was the Dune class. The second oldest class of spaceplane made by Spaceplane innovations (after the discontinued Revenge class),  these are lightweight, agile, and pack enough DeltaV for Duna, Minmus, Mun and Gilly. Flybys of planets further out are also possible. Dune 3 is the latest and greatest in this class, sporting 3 seats and a cosy interior. These are moderately difficult to use, but experienced pilots shouldn't have too much trouble. WARNING: You may need to replace the landing gear with larger ones if you're playing in 1.1 or later.
Video

Dune 3 Download 

Phantom Class

These SSTOs are the little-brothers of the Argus Class, and are slightly larger than the Dune class. WARNING: You may need to replace the landing gear with larger ones if you're playing in 1.1 or later.  With room for 6 kerbals, the Phantom class is currently offers 3 models:

• The Minmus Trainer is the easiest-to-use SSTO sold by Spaceplane Innovations, and was specifically designed to train budding kerbalnauts in the fine art of Minmus SSTO-ing. Only the instructions are available for purchase, so that pilots can also learn how to build an SSTO too! 
    Video (SSTO Tutorial)
  • The Mun Phantom was the first Phantom Class SSTO packing enough DeltaV for Mun and Gilly landings, in addition to being able to do Duna flybys. 
    Video 
  • The Mun Phantom 2 is a modified version of the Duna Phantom, packing a spacious cargo bay for all your rover carrying needs!
    Video
  • The Duna Phantom is able to carry 6 kerbals to Duna and back, all in a sleek Mk2 fuselage! 
    Video
    Video (SSTO Tutorial)
  • The Laythe Phantom is capable of taking 2 kerbals to Laythe and back without refuelling! Craft file has been altered so that it won't enter a flat spin when the fuel tanks are empty now
    Video

Mun Phantom Download 

Mun Phantom 2 Download

Duna Phantom Download 

Laythe Phantom Download 

Vulture Class

These SSTOs are designed purely for LKO missions.

• Vulture 1 is the first publicly available model in the Vulture class, capable of carrying 6 Kerbals comfortably to either a polar or equatorial orbit.

Vulture 1 download

Matlon Laboratories

Matlon Laboratories is a new company, designing cutting-edge rockets, shuttles, stations, bases, rovers, and much more! SSTOs are still very-much exclusive to Spaceplane Innovations, but for anything else, Matlon has you covered!

• Brutus is a high-capacity Space Shuttle, and uses Solid Fuel boosters and 3 Vectoring engines to lift the orbiter into space. Played a key-role in the construction of the SkyBase Space Station, which was commissioned following the destruction of SpaceLab during the Duna Attacks strikes
    Video
  • Sparrow is a seaplane packing every science experiment unit in the game, in addition to communications tech and a deployable mini-sub!
    Video
  • Monolith Station aims to bring stations to the masses, being a space station capable of being fully assembled in 1 Launch

Brutus Download

Sparrow Download

Monolith Station Download

Edited by Matt Lowne

1 hour ago, rustysocket said:

why do you use rapiers instead of turbojets

They flame out at a much higher altitude, making them far better suited for SSTOs. Not to mention that nukes cannot provide the thrust to make it into orbit alone, and so the closed-cycle function of the Rapiers is essential. If turbojets were used, then I'd need some additional chemical rocket engines, vastly increasing the dry mass of the ship.

@Matt Lowne, I see you are making spaceplanes.... The Spacecraft Exchange now has:
Rune's Slightly Used Vehichles
WhiteKnuckle's WhiteKnuckle Aerospace

Antimormal Aeronautics
Your Spaceplane Innovations
And my own Addiction Aerospace

making spaceplanes for the community :) I like this competition... even if it's only me being competitive... :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Matt,

I can't download the 'Sparrow' File. Can you fix this (and can you say Hi UCSSS at the end of your post. My friends will be very happy!!!)

Thanks and how the hell do you come up with SSTO ideas?

Hey Matt. I just wanted to show you that my "Nova Star" Cargo SSTO is more than capable of hauling up your space station core as well. It was initially designed as a delayed Mun rocket launcher, so I figured a space station core wouldn't be too difficult for it.

13072133_10153960441171815_1351375276_o.

13062663_10153960440776815_851174882_o.p

After the delayed Mun rocket launcher, I tried this as a mobile refinery, but that didn't work out so well... so this is my heavy lifter now.

Edited by Speed_Kerman

I'm glad to see you on the forum, your spaceplane missions are part of what inspired me to get into making my own spaceplanes (though as of right now I've only been able to make mk2 ones, and the only one I've documented on the forum is by far the worst one that I've actually gotten to fly).

On February 20, 2016 at 0:02 PM, Matt Lowne said:

Welcome to Spaceplane Innovations, the online leader in executive Spaceplane sales. Dropping tanks is so yesterday, earn back some self-respect by going fully-reusable today! We have Interplanetary leviathans and nimble Mun Hoppers, Single-stage-to-anywheres and Cargo-carrying brutes. All capable of high crew capacity and total galactic dominance. Shop now, the SSTO of your dreams is just a click away. We also make rockets.

View the full catalogue!

The Argus Class

These spaceplanes are big, brutal, and capable of interplanetary missions without breaking a sweat, independent of mining or refuelling. 

• The Argus was built as a Bop SSTO, but in the end was mainly used for Duna cargo missions and Eeloo voyages. It doesn't work so great in 1.05, and so is no longer sold by Spaceplane Innovations.
    Video - Eeloo mission
    Video - Duna mission
  • The Engadine was the hugely popular successor to the Argus, packing more DeltaV and a massive 20 Kerbal capacity. So far it has only been used for Mun landings, but we at Spaceplane Innovations believe it could easily be used for Duna returns too.
    Video
  • The Argus II was built following the success of the Engadine, in view of the fact that it seemed silly that the namesake of the Argus class of SSTOs should be the worst of its kind. Only recently completed, the Argus II is a world-record-breaking vessel capable of Laythe landings, while still retaining the ability to carry 4 kerbals.
    Video

Make no mistake: these planes are unruly, bulky, unbalanced and difficult to tame. They are therefore best suited to more adept pilots who understand gravity assists and how to efficiently ascend from Kerbin, making use of power-dive manoeuvres to kick the RAPIERS into full-thrust mode. They're hard to master, but for those with the patience to learn their functions the pay-off is huge.

Argus II Download

Engadine Download

Acacius Class

Acacius ships have an IRSU on board and are capable of refuelling themselves using mining equipment. These are at the forefront of exploration, and are the best "single-stage-to-anywhere" planes we offer! Only one model is currently available for consumers: The Acacius 2 is the first SSTO produced by Spaceplane Innovations to feature the "Single Stage to Everywhere" guarantee. Doesn't do Tylo. Or Eve. Or Jool. These craft are ideal for beginners who want to get to grips with gravity assists or the Jool system, without having to worry about fuel.
Video

Acacius 2 Download

Dune Class

Before the Argus class, there was the Dune class. The second oldest class of spaceplane made by Spaceplane innovations (after the discontinued Revenge class),  these are lightweight, agile, and pack enough DeltaV for Duna, Minmus, Mun and Gilly. Flybys of planets further out are also possible. Dune 3 is the latest and greatest in this class, sporting 3 seats and a cosy interior. These are moderately difficult to use, but experienced pilots shouldn't have too much trouble.
Video

Dune 3 Download

Phantom Class

These SSTOs are the little-brothers of the Argus Class, and are slightly larger than the Dune class. With room for 6 kerbals, the Phantom class is currently offers 3 models:

• The Minmus Trainer is the easiest-to-use SSTO sold by Spaceplane Innovations, and was specifically designed to train budding kerbalnauts in the fine art of Minmus SSTO-ing. Only the instructions are available for purchase, so that pilots can also learn how to build an SSTO too! 
    Video (SSTO Tutorial)
  • The Mun Phantom was the first Phantom Class SSTO packing enough DeltaV for Mun and Gilly landings, in addition to being able to do Duna flybys. 
    Video 
  • The Duna Phantom is able to carry 6 kerbals to Duna and back, all in a sleek Mk2 fuselage! 
    Video
    Video (SSTO Tutorial)
  • The Laythe Phantom is the latest and greatest SSTO produced by Spaceplane Innovations, capable of taking 2 kerbals to Laythe and back without refuelling! Craft file has been altered so that it won't enter a flat spin when the fuel tanks are empty now
    Video

Mun Phantom Download

Duna Phantom Download

Laythe Phantom Download

Matlon Laboratories

Matlon Laboratories is a new company, designing cutting-edge rockets, shuttles, stations, bases, rovers, and much more! SSTOs are still very-much exclusive to Spaceplane Innovations, but for anything else, Matlon has you covered!

• Brutus is a high-capacity Space Shuttle, and uses Solid Fuel boosters and 3 Vectoring engines to lift the orbiter into space. Played a key-role in the construction of the SkyBase Space Station, which was commissioned following the destruction of SpaceLab during the Duna Attacks strikes
    Video
  • Sparrow is a seaplane packing every science experiment unit in the game, in addition to communications tech and a deployable mini-sub!
    Video

Brutus Download

Sparrow Download

Hey matt, I was wondering if u could put a download link for the Duna space base

Escuse me Matt, but i am having an issue with the "Brutus". On the forum post, you stated that it would not spin out of control once the payload was gone. However, I attempted to launch it as satellite repair mission (I have mods were things can break-down) and it flipped down because the front was too heavy (Like my attempts at shuttles). I solved that by adding small engines at the top to flip myself back up, I burned them slowly. However, once the SRBs separated, the shuttle flipped out of control. I have no idea why this happened, since i did not have FAR or R.O or any other mod that changes aerodynamics. Please help! The only reliable launchers i have are A: way too heavy (They would send a crew pod and supplies on an escape trajectory) B: not adaptable to a crew vehicle (I sometimes build rockets for refueling missions, or designed in a certain way for special sizes in mods) C: the crew transfer launcher i do have is not strong enough/not adaptable (I need 5 crew to fix some problems and with that i could not fit the supplies.) or D: They are too weak. I have a whole arsenal of satellite launchers, all of which are not strong enough. Even my Jool satellite launcher is not strong enough. I could make a new middle-range rocket, but that might take time, my sattelite launcher cover all light payloads, my heavy launchers cover all things heavy, so i would like to build an all-cover middle launcher, which i don't want to spend the time to build seeing as this is only my second time i have a middle-range payload that needed a custom launcher. My heavy missions are for manned interplanetary missions (I like building habitats) and light for satellites. My unmanned missions are always light. Sorry for such a long reply, I just also need advice on launchers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.