[WIP][1.1.3] XKOM- Interceptors Update- The Raven Takes Flight

njmksr

Coming Soon to A Kerbin Near You... Now Here!

b3jGcEx.jpg

The Skyranger from XCOM: Enemy Unknown is the first installment of the XKOM Ships Pack, a pack to bring XCOM into KSP.

COMING SOON: The Firestorm Interceptor and Weapons!

SCREENSHOTS (From Early Closed Beta and Interceptors Update Beta)

Mods Featured: XKOM (Us), LackLusterLabs (Airlock), BD Armory FPS (Guns)

Interceptors Update screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/mn6ms

DKt1rSd.png

THE XKOM TEAM

• CENTRAL OFFICER Njmksr (Lead Programmer/Modeler/Texturer) 
  • CHIEF ENGINEER SpannerMonkey(smce)
  • TEST PILOT Dafni
  • TEST PILOT Neutrinovore
  • TEST PILOT Deimos Rast
  • TEST PILOT Spartan_MiniMe

SPECIAL THANKS TO: The development teams at Firaxis & 2K Games, and to Julian Gollop, the creator of XCOM.

A NOTE ABOUT TEST PILOTS: Since space is limited*, submissions for test pilots are now closed. Thanks for your enthusiasm, and I may need more recruits for XKOM down the line.

Spoiler

*(Depending on which cosmological theory is right about the nature of the universe, this statement may or may not be true in regards to outer space. But it is true for space on the test team.)

Edited by njmksr
IntUpdate is now released

JSYK Dev picture is here for proof that this isn't just Soon(tm):Cl2hLiI.png

I know some of you know what it is, but I censored out the name to see who can figure it out, as it is the most obscure of the several dropships slated for construction with this mod.

So, I'm going to have to slightly re-engineer the model, and then I'll put it back in Unity and into the game. ETA on alpha version: 2-3 weeks. I don't have a lot of time on my hands so that's why it will take so long.

• 2 weeks later...

[UPDATE]: Development Progress & Beta Testing!

Hey everyone!

I've made a lot of progress. The model has been appropriately re-engineered, and the whole shebang is going into Unity now. Hopefully, very soon, I'll have a functioning version, and I will need a group of brave Kerbonaut test pilots to take the role of Big Sky (the Skyranger pilot in XCOM: Enemy Unknown) and beta test the mod. PM me if you're interested. 

This mod is to hereby be redesignated:

XKOM Dropships

The next time I update this thread, it'll be because we have a beta release, and it will go into the development thread.

So see you all soon, and in keeping with KSP conventions, Vigilo Konfido.

Hi while this kind of thing is generally frowned upon in KSP I love it,

I've done quite a few similar projects from the alien drops ship all fully working with APC and working bay for the same, all the way up to ThunderKerb 2 a full scale flying and full of toys replica, and a full fleet of RTF Warbirds before the aero changes sent them off into the To Be Fixed folder

I know that these things can be quite troublesome in set up, especially the damnable colliders,  and I'm looking at all those  undercarriage wheels and picturing a 300 line cfg. So if you get hung up or want a second opinion drop me a line

[MOD - Moved to Add-on Development subforums]

@njmksr, did you make the model and textures from scratch, or were they assets directly extracted from the original game? Do you have permission from Firaxis and 2K Games to redistribute their intellectual property?

15 hours ago, sumghai said:

@njmksr, did you make the model and textures from scratch, or were they assets directly extracted from the original game? Do you have permission from Firaxis and 2K Games to redistribute their intellectual property?

Ah, good, I'm glad Sumghai said what I was just thinking.  :huh:

Yeah, that's important. I think you could revisit them to make them a bit more stock/porkalike, and conform to current sizes (or 1.875, 3.125, 0.9375) so they can be used in other ways. The Skyranger could be Mk3, that seems fitting. I hope I'm not asking too much of you.

On 3/14/2016 at 3:37 PM, sumghai said:

I checked their agreement about that sort of thing, and it didn't seem to violate them. I actually had to substantially rework the model itself-- all of the animation is mine, I removed the landing gear covers, I had to change the position of the wings, and I cut off half of the craft and mirrored it. The textures, though, are unchanged. If anyone's good with textures, (cause I'm not) I would appreciate your help.

Here's the answer for copyrighted material:

Answer: Generally, 2K does not object to fans using materials for non-commercial uses in a manner which does not intentionally spoil the plot for others. "Non-commercial" means that you don't sell site membership, use the material to promote a product you sell on the site like a shirt or wallpaper, or use other advertising-driven monetization.  2K does reserve the right to have its copyrighted material taken down at any time. If you have further questions or concerns, please contact [email protected]

I'm not doing any of those things, so I think it's OK.

On 3/14/2016 at 0:59 PM, Tyverus said:

Plz tell me there's gonna be the halo ODST drop pods

Sorry. I've refocused this mod to XCOM ships, hence the name 'XKOM Dropships'. They're great games. I found them as a Halo fan myself and instantly became an XCOM fan.

Edited by njmksr

9 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

Yeah, that's important. I think you could revisit them to make them a bit more stock/porkalike, and conform to current sizes (or 1.875, 3.125, 0.9375) so they can be used in other ways. The Skyranger could be Mk3, that seems fitting. I hope I'm not asking too much of you.

Yeaaah....

I'm not skilled enough for that. I am probably going to try the stock/porkalike thing though. I would like to do the MK3 splitup, but I don't know how to do that.

10 hours ago, njmksr said:

I checked their agreement about that sort of thing, and it didn't seem to violate them. I actually had to substantially rework the model itself-- all of the animation is mine, I removed the landing gear covers, I had to change the position of the wings, and I cut off half of the craft and mirrored it. The textures, though, are unchanged. If anyone's good with textures, (cause I'm not) I would appreciate your help.

Here's the answer for copyrighted material:

I presume the statement you linked to was from this page?

My understanding is that the allowance applies to gameplay footage, rather than extracted game assets.

Fair enough that you've some significant rework to the mesh, although it would ideal in the long term to make your own textures from scratch.

So, when may we see some pictures of how it will appear in-game?  Any ideas as to how many parts, how modular they'll be, etc.?  As always, I'm very interested in any and all 'Sci-Fi' oriented parts mods, so I'll be keeping a close eye on this mod.  :)

6 hours ago, Neutrinovore said:

So, when may we see some pictures of how it will appear in-game?  Any ideas as to how many parts, how modular they'll be, etc.?  As always, I'm very interested in any and all 'Sci-Fi' oriented parts mods, so I'll be keeping a close eye on this mod.  :)

For the first release, it will not be modular. For the next update though, I will split off the VTOL wings so that you can use them in other things.

12 hours ago, sumghai said:

I presume the statement you linked to was from this page?

My understanding is that the allowance applies to gameplay footage, rather than extracted game assets.

Fair enough that you've some significant rework to the mesh, although it would ideal in the long term to make your own textures from scratch.

But yeah, that was as close as I could find, though. So I'm guessing it would fall under that. I'm just not skilled enough to make my own textures.

8 hours ago, njmksr said:

For the first release, it will not be modular. For the next update though, I will split off the VTOL wings so that you can use them in other things.

Okay, cool, just curious.  Still looking forward to this.  :)  FWIW, check out Absolution's CORE mod, specifically the 'First Light' ship parts.  Those really only fit with each other, aesthetically, but I really like that mod and in fact I'm using that ship a lot lately, so uber-modularity isn't the end-all be-all.  So, again, I shall await further developments of the XKOM mod.  Oh, just saw the updated OP, the logo looks good, it should look nice on a flag.  And, if you're offering, I'd be happy to be a tester for you.  With the understanding that I only play 'Sandbox' mode with infinite fuel and monoprop.  But I can certainly report on balance (that's PHYSICAL balance, position of thrusters, engines, CoM vs. Col, etc.), usability, you know, general things like that.

Later!  :cool:

As a fan of xcom (although I haven't tried the recent one yet), I'd be keen to give it a whirl when you're ready. Eventually, I would strongly vote for some modularity, although that probably makes it more difficult for you. In that case, which seems to be your idea first too, is get a working model out first.

My test pilot resume: I'm pretty new and generally a terrible pilot. Sold yet? No? I only play career, most of my experience is at the beginning/middle; so if this is going at the end of the tech tree, I can't really comment. I've also been known to poke around a config or two. Basically, I'm a semi fresh set of eyes and another warm body in the jumpseat. :P

Eitherway, good luck.

[Semi-Update: ETA & Roadmap]

JSYK everyone, the ETA for a closed beta edition of the Enemy Unknown/Within Skyranger for our XKOM pilots will be available in approximately 1-2 weeks. This will have no IVA, and might have animations & textures. Currently, the mesh is ingame and I will begin writing a custom config for it soon; but the textures are not showing up properly. Here's a roadmap.

rKbPtdE.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.