[Broken 1.1] [Stock] Kelaz 85T Mega Dump Truck

Jon144

100% Stock: Kelaz-85T Mega Dump Truck "Thor"

(NO MODS REQUIRED!)

ALL OF MY CRAFT ARE BROKEN AS OF 1.1

DO NOT DOWNLOAD OR USE UNLESS PLAYING A PRIOR VERSION

Xk6fYBY.png

Undoubtedly one of the largest and heaviest stock land vehicles.

I'm here to unveil the latest in the Kelaz series of Mega Dump Trucks. This beast fully fueled weighs in at about 85 tons. Due to it's incredible weight it uses two wheels on each axel to help support itself. Regardless of this each axel is still able to rotate independent from each-other. The rotation of wheels on one side of the truck is not dependant on the rotation of the other side's and vice versa. This gives it an exceptional turning radius. How do you turn it? Just press action groups 1 and 2 to toggle reverse thrusters of the left and right side engines. This combined system the ability to turn even at a near standstill. Such an un-human scale does have it's disadvantages. It's pretty slow having a top unloaded speed on level ground of less than 20 M/S and even if it could go faster it's suspension would eventually break itself apart. It's not a serious sports car or off-roader and if you drive it wrong or dangerously you shouldn't expect for it's mechanics to last for long.

The most fun part of course is the massive dumper. To toggle the dumper elevation simply press G to toggle the "Hydraulics"

This heavy mechanical dumper has been tested to be capable of carrying and dumping off loads in excess of 100 tons. That's over twice the weight of the vehicle itself! That's enough of a load to carry a small Mun rocket. The vehicle's nickname is inspired from ThorLP who makes some of my favorite ludicrous KSP videos.

What are you waiting for? Download and drive this beast! 

https://kerbalx.com/Jon144/Kelaz-85T

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yb3ttjoi82i976l/Kelaz-85T%20%282%29.craft?dl=0

Do keep in mind it is 320 parts too. You will need a fairly decent PC to enjoy this. I will be making a video of it's operations later this week.

If you don't think your PC can handle it you can try it's younger brother. The Kelaz 47T 

FycRCUv.png

F7405927D10C4E8E21E6112A070ED18C6ACA0618021003061FC625E0D16E14A0CAFE08AF2AF8B50B70BAF49100DEC5DB5C783421F2581B57568C360AE493F596348F40B18EEC29796F5C034A9F8089EE462D8AEF8B967502DE6087955E753ACF6B15C078

C5CB4A5AC593384ABA5441361126CA6101CFAD66

Blueprint and Render by Esinohio

Edited by Jon144

3 hours ago, Majorjim said:

What happens if you replace the panel wheels with clipped landing gears so just the tip of the wheel shows? It might make it capable of much higher speeds.

Absolutely! Ive tried this before and hasn't worked out great. The landing gear clips with the fuel tank and glitches out, and looks pretty ugly. The panels are very stable in comparison although having more rolling resistance.

But ultimately you don't want this going very fast anyways. 85 Tons is as much as small mun rockets. The stock mechanics of this just can't handle going so fast.

Just now, The Optimist said:

What's the power source? Turboshaft or Scanner drive?

Turboshafts. That's how it turns too. Reverse thrust on one side, Forwards thrust on the other side. Independent turning axels lowers the turning rate a ton.

28 minutes ago, The Optimist said:

It's Turbofan powered? I thought they didn't have engine wash?

What? All the in-game turbofans have thrust reversers. Besides the ant sized ones.

Edited by Jon144

On 28 February 2016 at 0:39 PM, Jon144 said:

Turboshafts. That's how it turns too. Reverse thrust on one side, Forwards thrust on the other side. Independent turning axels lowers the turning rate a ton.

I think you meant turbofan, or jet, as opposed to a turboshaft, where a jet pushes a wheel to make it rotate. That's why @The Optimist was confused.

Edited by selfish_meme

1 minute ago, selfish_meme said:

I think you meant turbofan, or jet, as opposed to a turboshaft, where a jet pushes a wheel to make it rotate. That's why @The Optimist was confused.

To be fair he could just download it and solve the existential crisis by taking a closer look. The jets in game used to be called turbofans so yeah thats why I got confused. It's common knowledge Azimech's "Turbofans" don't really work anymore in this version of KSP.

4 minutes ago, The Optimist said:

so, the wheels aren`t rotationally powered? 

Lol yes the wheels do rotate. They're not just for looks. But this version is powered by jet engines at the rear of the truck. This is a practicality measure. If each wheel was powered you would have to switch to each of the 4 independent axles to control their speed. I thought it would be more simple if you could control it all from the same part. I'm happy that I was able to conceal them so well :D

Edited by Jon144

30 minutes ago, Jon144 said:

Lol yes the wheels do rotate. They're not just for looks. But this version is powered by jet engines at the rear of the truck. This is a practicality measure. If each wheel was powered you would have to switch to each of the 4 independent axles to control their speed. I thought it would be more simple if you could control it all from the same part. I'm happy that I was able to conceal them so well :D

You  do know that the engines are attached to the main structure, and it's the engine wash that powers the wheels, right?

24 minutes ago, The Optimist said:

You  do know that the engines are attached to the main structure, and it's the engine wash that powers the wheels, right?

You do realize that this doesn't work anymore right? To actually get what you're saying to work you need ridiculously powerful fuel inefficient engines or attach the engines themselves to whats rotating. Either way leads to impracticality and high part count. I've been making these types of things for years so of course I know what you're saying. Just download Azimech's turbo-shaft helicopter and see. It's a shame that this source of power doesn't really work anymore but it's just the truth.

Edited by Jon144

1 minute ago, Jon144 said:

You do realize that this doesn't work anymore right? To actually get what you're saying to work you need ridiculously powerful fuel inefficient engines or attach the engines themselves to whats rotating. Either way leads to impracticality and high part count. I've been making these types of things for years so of course I know what you're saying. 

look at my signature :3

Just now, The Optimist said:

look at my signature :3

Yes exactly. 280 parts for one powered welded axel. I'm not ever going to exceed 400 parts in any build that I post here so people can actually use it. My whole truck here is only 330 parts. There's an art to making crazy mechanical things and then the art of making them as simple as possible. Here rests my point. I do love your jet powered tractor though ^_^

1 minute ago, Jon144 said:

Yes exactly. 280 parts for one powered welded axel. I'm not ever going to exceed 400 parts in any build that I post here so people can actually use it. My whole truck here is only 330 parts. There's an art to making crazy mechanical things and then the art of making them as simple as possible. Here rests my point. I do love your jet powered tractor though ^_^

60 of that is in the wheels and the slightly sketchy suspension system, plus another 26 for the fuselage/skeleton of the tractor :3

11 minutes ago, The Optimist said:

60 of that is in the wheels and the slightly sketchy suspension system, plus another 26 for the fuselage/skeleton of the tractor :3

Again. I just have to re-post what Azimech already said in your own thread. I've made turbo-shaft powered vehicles before but since .90 there's no point in them.

On 1/18/2016 at 3:30 PM, Azimech said:

Nice craft! Yes, there have been a few before, using turboshafts is rare though. I have one that used to work in 0.90, part count prohibits such things nowadays.

This was the last Mega-Truck that I built pre-1.0 and last Mega-Truck I made with turbo-shaft engines. If you want powered axles the more practical bet these days are SAS torque wheels. If you want to make a new one using turbo-shaft power please do so and you will tremendously benefit the craft sharing community! :D Maybe modify your tractor to make one? I would like to see how it turns out.

pLZHUO3.png

Edited by Jon144

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.