[1.4.X] SM Armory Group. See Note First post Ref BDA 1.2.2.2

SpannerMonkey(smce)

32 minutes ago, redmonddkgamer said:

Trying to load up the CeKay I Missile Cruiser, and have all of the mods installed. But it says "Craft CeKay I Missile Cruiser was not loaded because it had the following parts missing: SM57E6BGM" What? I am using the Feb 4 release of SM Armory, is it because I have Boomsticks installed?

That missile is actually located in the SM maintenance version of PEW:

https://spacedock.info/mod/1200/PEW continued

Hello, I would like to report a problem with OldSchoolTurrets Redux! I have noticed that on my vehicles that I have built, the turrets bounce up and down uncontrollably. Regular BDA turrets work fine, but just these turrets don't work well.  Thank you!

5 minutes ago, Murican_Jeb said:

I got an idea to fix the 88. You could just make it an unmanned command pod with a weapon manager

Hi

Sadly not, it still throws the same error, and pretty much for my purposes is useless,  the only thing I have not tried is to go way back an try building another from an early save and see what happens, but can't see that it would change anything, as i've already changed everything and it still fails.

6 hours ago, OmegaForce said:

Are the secondary guns in this picture from this weapons pack?

3ggxcKW.png

No , they look like NAS turrets to me, although it's a terrible angle to tell what exactly they are.

Hey guys I was wondering if there is a way to move the robots or are they just turrets? as I noticed when right clicked they say partial control I would assume that full control would contain movement.

Edited by wjb55

On 2017/3/19 at 4:54 PM, OmegaForce said:

Are the secondary guns in this picture from this weapons pack?

3ggxcKW.png

Ah... my HMS Warsprite.....

Nope,   Those black cylinders are actually radial mount points form Talisar Parts,  And the guns are some small Naval guns from Master Tech Weapons (Use offset mode to clip into the radial mount to makes it looks like a secondary gun)...
RzqN3VF.pngQdCZmoB.png

Edited by Violet_Wyvern

Hi all  

A Note concerning issues.

There  is now a git repository for SMA in order to access and provide a hard record of any issues that occur, as the modlist grows the more i find I'm forgetting and things that should be dealt with slip between the cracks. Therefore  it makes sense to do something properly for a change .  You can find the issues reporting page  at this link        https://github.com/SpannerMonkey/SM_Armory/issues 

Thank you

On 3/23/2017 at 0:28 PM, Violet_Wyvern said:

Ah... my HMS Warsprite.....

Nope,   Those black cylinders are actually radial mount points form Talisar Parts,  And the guns are some small Naval guns from Master Tech Weapons (Use offset mode to clip into the radial mount to makes it looks like a secondary gun)...
RzqN3VF.pngQdCZmoB.png

thanks for the support with MTW! 

• 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, toric5 said:

I want to bring COADE and the expanse weaponry into KSP...

Hi well I already contribute sci fi weapons to the future weapons mod, which works well for me, as it's a low maintenance alternative to having a whole new mod and thread to  deal with. on top of everything else. I've no objection to making sci fi stuff as it's all about the making for me, couldn't care less if it's never published :)

SO check out the thread below and make some suggestions there, if there's ref's and/or images all the better, researching requests takes a good deal of time even before a poly is touched, so the more info provided the better.

It should be noted though with all the sc fi stuff that it is NOT space capable, that is it's function is space is less than optimal, BDA is not rated or coded for space combat

Spoiler

sci fi spoiler

feANbKG.png

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

28 minutes ago, EnderTheMimi said:

Will the incoming tanks mod have any stock-alike texture . i am big fan that stuff . (keep up the good work mate)

Unless he plans to add them, all the tank bodies and turrets have real world type textures. Camo, desert, urban, etc..

29 minutes ago, EnderTheMimi said:

Will the incoming tanks mod have any stock-alike texture . i am big fan that stuff . (keep up the good work mate)

11 minutes ago, XOC2008 said:

Unless he plans to add them, all the tank bodies and turrets have real world type textures. Camo, desert, urban, etc..

He's not wrong  sadly ( for lovers of stock finish parts)  I have to say that while I can do Ish,  stockalike I don't enjoy making the textures one bit.  takes about 5 times longer and dozens of revisions.   Most of the vehicles have a texture switch so anyone so motivated could make stockalikely textures. Unless i suffer a head trauma and am gifted with the ability to place color  on a texture without it degenerating into a 3yr olds art class it's very unlikely to be me.

It's a while since any of that  AFV stuff has been seen or mentioned so here's the latest album, which features most of the incoming, these are test vehicles in my game, so all features are rarely present or functional,  The testers (gawd bless em all) though have gone to town and built fleets of the things and I think it'd be cool if they showed some of the stuff now, it's pretty much done for now, it got large quickly, and while there's a couple of outstanding items yet to be finished I've not been able to do much modelling or texturing lately ( torn muscle in mouse side shoulder)  SO yeah the album :)

4 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi well I already contribute sci fi weapons to the future weapons mod, which works well for me, as it's a low maintenance alternative to having a whole new mod and thread to  deal with. on top of everything else. I've no objection to making sci fi stuff as it's all about the making for me, couldn't care less if it's never published :)

SO check out the thread below and make some suggestions there, if there's ref's and/or images all the better, researching requests takes a good deal of time even before a poly is touched, so the more info provided the better.

It should be noted though with all the sc fi stuff that it is NOT space capable, that is it's function is space is less than optimal, BDA is not rated or coded for space combat

Reveal hidden contents

sci fi spoiler

feANbKG.png

thats star wars weapons, im looking for more of a near future pack. no 'laser' pistols and blasters, moreso rail/coilguns, missiles, and actual real lasers (speed of light, focused with mirrors, tiny ball turret with laser generator tucked safely inside of the ship type) wouldn't really fit in with the future weapons pack. (the weapons other than missiles would NEED radiators, unless you want them to be oneshot.)

Edited by toric5

1 hour ago, toric5 said:

actual real lasers (speed of light, focused with mirrors, tiny ball turret with laser generator tucked safely inside of the ship type

Well there's a reason they're never used in a dogfight or combat challenge and thats because the first to fire the lasers wins, Makes for very short battles and in the one instance that it was tried on a challenge craft every battle was over as soon as the laser drew a bead on the target , pretty much as soon as the AI started combat.  So boring as hell in my book and nothing you can't do right now with tweakscale and BDAc's ABL turret

1 hour ago, toric5 said:

(the weapons other than missiles would NEED radiators, unless you want them to be oneshot.)

In all the time i've used BDA(since day1) I've never noticed or noted and heat rise of a craft in response to weapon firing, the internal heat usually trips them out quite quickly.  Although the weapons overheat I have no clue at this point if it's something that can be affected to additional radiators, The simple fact that it's almost impossible to attach parts to any turret seems to rule it out  ( edit ,  a little test adding a radiator to the ABL in SMA showed no noticeable or worthwhile increase in fire time)

1 hour ago, toric5 said:

wouldn't really fit in with the future weapons pack.

I dunno about that,  nobody said when this alleged future is, and lets be brutally honest here,  this is all about looks and a cfg, doesn't matter in the end what you call it , "super cosmic blaster " or "spud gun" there are only two options right now, cannons and ballistic types, those so called blasters (either type)  aren't anything but a machine gun with a funky colored tracer. The function is unchanged and damage output and method  of damaging is identical. It's all in the cfg :) 

Missiles are missiles and the performance of some of the latest would have been sci fi only a few years ago , Missiles can be all very samey though as there are rules for the creating of them, just as there are for rocket parts, so while there is some latitude in design, you still end up with a pointy cylinder with fins on and a paint job

So I stand by my assertion that future weapons will continue to be the outlet for anything in that vein I produce, unless @Aerolfos decides he doesn't want it of course

Don't know about you, but this, even though it's definitely not, still looks pretty damn sci fi to a non military type

vRYQmgf.png?1

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)
stuff

53 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Well there's a reason they're never used in a dogfight or combat challenge and thats because the first to fire the lasers wins, Makes for very short battles and in the one instance that it was tried on a challenge craft every battle was over as soon as the laser drew a bead on the target , pretty much as soon as the AI started combat.  So boring as hell in my book and nothing you can't do right now with tweakscale and BDAc's ABL turret

simply because they are not modeled well, in atmosphere, the laser would diminish extremely rapidly with range. in space, it is not as bad, but the ranges are also mutch greater. (not to mention they are power and radiator hogs, as even the most efficent lasers today are only 70% effecinet, and the candiates for laser weapontry are about 30%.) to quote the children of a dead earth blog:

Next misconception, wouldn’t lasers dominate the battle space? Lasers do not suffer from many of the inaccuracy problems that projectile weapons do, and move at the speed of light, so they are literally impossible to dodge. So lasers are the king of the battle space, right?

Wrong. Lasers suffer from diffraction. Badly. The power of lasers in space drops painfully fast with distance, and frequency doubling only ameliorates the issue slightly. Lasers are notoriously low efficiency compared to projectile weapons. But that’s not the main issue. When comparing hypervelocity projectile impact research with laser ablation research, one discovers a stark contrast in their efficacy. Laser ablation is simply less effective at causing damage than projectile impacts. Whereas hypervelocity projectiles cause spallations and cave in armor effectively, laser ablation is poor, with energy wasted to vaporization, radiation, and heat conduction to surrounding armor. On the other hand, at very close ranges, where diffraction is not an issue, lasers outperform projectiles easily. Unfortunately, nothing aside from missiles will likely ever get that close, and even then, they will likely be within close focus ranges for milliseconds at most.

Lasers still useful at long ranges, though. Lasers fill a very specific niche in space warfare, and that is of precision destruction of weakly armored systems at long distances. Lasers are very good at melting down exposed enemy weapons, knocking out their rocket exhaust nozzles, and most importantly, killing drones. While missiles have very few weak points, and can shrug off laser damage with thick plating, drones have exposed weapons and radiators, which makes them very vulnerable to lasers.

In terms of actually destroying enemy capital ships, however, lasers can cut into the enemy bulkhead all day with basically zero effect (I measured the ablation of a monolithic armor plate at one point, and found that the ablation was happening at micrometers per second).

57 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

In all the time i've used BDA(since day1) I've never noticed or noted and heat rise of a craft in response to weapon firing, the internal heat usually trips them out quite quickly.  Although the weapons overheat I have no clue at this point if it's something that can be affected to additional radiators, The simple fact that it's almost impossible to attach parts to any turret seems to rule it out  ( edit ,  a little test adding a radiator to the ABL in SMA showed no noticeable or worthwhile increase in fire time)

there would be no way to make the weapons generate stock heat? (and shut down when the parts core temp gets to hot?)

58 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

I dunno about that,  nobody said when this alleged future is, and lets be brutally honest here,  this is all about looks and a cfg, doesn't matter in the end what you call it , "super cosmic blaster " or "spud gun" there are only two options right now, cannons and ballistic types, those so called blasters (either type)  aren't anything but a machine gun with a funky colored tracer. The function is unchanged and damage output and method  of damaging is identical. It's all in the cfg :)

hence near future. if you have time and/or an interest in realistic space combat, take a look at atomic rockets and COADEs blog. hard sci-fi.

1 hour ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Missiles are missiles and the performance of some of the latest would have been sci fi only a few years ago , Missiles can be all very samey though as there are rules for the creating of them, just as there are for rocket parts, so while there is some latitude in design, you still end up with a pointy cylinder with fins on and a paint job

shapedCharge.jpg

how bout this? popellant tanks, truss, RCS thruster, and a cabasa howitzer. of course, you could replace the howizer with a nuke or frag warhead. also, you may have a pointy nose in front to act as sloped armor against point defense. however, no fins, unless its an orbit to surface missile, then you may have glide fins, but, of course, at that point, your just making a rod-from-god.

sorry for the long post, and its probably to mutch to ask, but at this point im just trying to share what is kinda a special interest of mine.

11 minutes ago, toric5 said:

sorry for the long post, and its probably to mutch to ask, but at this point im just trying to share what is kinda a special interest of mine.

No a problem it's nice to have some interaction for a change :)

15 minutes ago, toric5 said:

simply because they are not modeled well,

Granted, sadly  it's a niche thing in a niche market, and like a lot of what BD created has yet to even be slightly explored and we/I are finding new things all the time that can be done, and for that matter should be.  Though in all the time since the creation of boomsticks and it's evolution into SMA I've only ever been asked to make one laser weapon, and with that the only feedback i got was from the guy who requested it, who fortunately loved it :) That's not to say i will not tinker with the idea and perhaps come up with something interesting but I'm having a lot of fun with missiles right now

Re missiles have you tried @jrodriguez modular missiles for BDA? It seems like it'd be the ideal product to perhaps try out some of the things that could be. I've certainly had a great deal of fun with it and btw found it very easy to use.  JR also demonstrated at least one hit on an orbiting vessel  with his modular missile ( which btw is a whole load better than anything else has manged lately  and much better than my fruitless attempts to wake up the HEKV when the new team took over) SO there's hope, I know JR is tinkering with his modular missiles and he's one of those aforementioned clever chaps, I'd expect him to crack it eventually especially if it bugs him enough

https://github.com/jrodrigv/BDModularMissileParts/releases

https://github.com/jrodrigv/BDModularMissileParts/wiki/1.-Building-your-first-Modular-Missile

As for my depth of interest it goes as deep as the game and it's addons  (and being told as a child that by the year 2k we'd all be living like the Jetsons)will permit. I'm not a coder so am purely in the business of abusing code created by people smarter than me,  so should the code arise that makes space combat realistically viable I'll be all over it like a rash, but while BDAc is likely to be the only option on the table for some time and unable to do the business in space,  it all seems like a little bit of a blind alley to me, (I've been down those already in KSP and while a little positive came of them, it did not outweigh the frustration of being able to succeed)

cheers

I am ok with 

18 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

He's not wrong  sadly ( for lovers of stock finish parts)  I have to say that while I can do Ish,  stockalike I don't enjoy making the textures one bit.  takes about 5 times longer and dozens of revisions.   Most of the vehicles have a texture switch so anyone so motivated could make stockalikely textures. Unless i suffer a head trauma and am gifted with the ability to place color  on a texture without it degenerating into a 3yr olds art class it's very unlikely to be me.

It's a while since any of that  AFV stuff has been seen or mentioned so here's the latest album, which features most of the incoming, these are test vehicles in my game, so all features are rarely present or functional,  The testers (gawd bless em all) though have gone to town and built fleets of the things and I think it'd be cool if they showed some of the stuff now, it's pretty much done for now, it got large quickly, and while there's a couple of outstanding items yet to be finished I've not been able to do much modelling or texturing lately ( torn muscle in mouse side shoulder)  SO yeah the album :)

As long there is matching camo turrets and hulls i am ok with it :D .

But one thing i want to ask , will shells bounce ?

Some more images for your perusal. Some stuff is missing, I need to take more screenshots. There has been a lot added that I don't have shots of, like the M1070 cab, the Kub2k12 and the Shilka. But I think this is enough to demonstrate what's included and the versatility of the parts.

29 minutes ago, EnderTheMimi said:

But one thing i want to ask , will shells bounce ?

AS it stands today the SM group of weapon mods contains the only functional armor in the game . Some of the vehicles have built in armor usually and if applicable it will only be the fwd facing hull part. Shells will bounce all over the damn place :) and do,  and a bounced shell will still kill a team mate :lol: (happened a lot in testing)   There of course limits to what it will stand, if you fire a 120 mm gun at the armor from 10 mtrs it will go through and in all probability the ensuing explosion will cook your vehicle. The armor functions best when used at correct ranges and at those ranges (gun appropriate) the armor can with stand many  direct hits from missiles and heavy caliber guns and small stuff such as aircraft machine guns light cannons etc will simply spat or bounce

For the rest there are currently two armor variants for the afv's  plate and cage,  both, given the same cfg are as effective as each other . Plate armor comes in several sizes with angle plates 2x1 and 1x1 making it quite quick to throw an armored hull or gun emplacement together

Spoiler

kL5KIFN.png

77APL8f.png

There are limitations to how a part can be cfg'd for armor each part can only have one armor module, so for example most gun carrying AFV's will face fwd to target so the hierarchy and cfg  is arranged to place the armor at the front of the hull and on the turret though at present most turrets do not have integral armor, it would take the reworking of every turret in order to make them all armor rated. The turrets do have a tough but not OP cfg and more often than not the vehicle loses a track and is crippled long before the turret explodes

The armor is still very much in development and has and will be improved over time. It should be noted that the plate armor is OP right now and will be better balanced, while some of the parts of the vehicles that are detachable and would be some armor protection, for example the skirt/flank armor on the M1 is appropriate for the vehicle ( subject to lots more input) (keeping it real for KSP not real world)

Below a demo featuring new stuff and a little  example of armor working (300mm equiv)

Spoiler

33 minutes ago, XOC2008 said:

Some more images for your perusal. Some stuff is missing, I need to take more screenshots

Thanks XOC,  that fills in a lot of the more obvious gaps  and I've been very neglectful of screenshots, must take more also .

Yo spannermonkey when do you think we could get our hands on those vehicles? I don't care if they are beta or don't really work I just want to try them out. You think you could at least release some sort of a beta of the vehicles for us to try? Or pm me what you have so I could try it. I know your probably going to say no but maybe you will say yes.

Also I wanted to ask you think you could add any more mobile missiles like say the Pershing the Lance the scarab the scaleboard or pluton or hades. Or could you add any or the MAZ missile erector trucks or any other TEL'S ?

2 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

AS it stands today the SM group of weapon mods contains the only functional armor in the game . Some of the vehicles have built in armor usually and if applicable it will only be the fwd facing hull part. Shells will bounce all over the damn place :) and do,  and a bounced shell will still kill a team mate :lol: (happened a lot in testing)   There of course limits to what it will stand, if you fire a 120 mm gun at the armor from 10 mtrs it will go through and in all probability the ensuing explosion will cook your vehicle. The armor functions best when used at correct ranges and at those ranges (gun appropriate) the armor can with stand many  direct hits from missiles and heavy caliber guns and small stuff such as aircraft machine guns light cannons etc will simply spat or bounce

For the rest there are currently two armor variants for the afv's  plate and cage,  both, given the same cfg are as effective as each other . Plate armor comes in several sizes with angle plates 2x1 and 1x1 making it quite quick to throw an armored hull or gun emplacement together

YAY !!!!

Thank to every one who is working on these mods and keep up the good work lads  :D

Edited by EnderTheMimi