DKM Prinz Eugen Heavy Cruiser Replica (Updated!)

The Saturnian Naval Dockyards Presents!

The DKM PRINZ EUGEN

1BVOh5T.gif

The Prinz Eugen was an Admiral Hipper-class Heavy Cruiser, the third of five such vessels. 

She served in the Kriegsmarine during World War II, and entered service in August 1940. She was named after Prince Eugene of Savoy, an 18th century Austrian general. She participated in Operation Rheinubung with Bismarck, together destroying HMS Hood and damaging Prince Of Wales during an attempt to break out into the Atlantic in May 1941. Prinz Eugen detached from Bismarck to raid Allied merchant shipping, but the mission was cut short by engine issues. After undergoing repairs in occupied France, she participated in Operation Cerebus in a dash through the English Channel to Germany. She was deployed to Norway in Feb. 1942, but was torpedoed by the submarine Trident, requiring repairs to her stern. Later in her service, she served as artillery support for the German Army in the East, among other things. 

She was captured by the Royal Navy and then transferred to the US Navy as a war prize. After examination, she was assigned to Operation Crossroads at Bikini Atoll, and survived both blasts, and towed to Kwajalein Atoll, ultimately sinking in Dec. 1946.

MODS-BDArmory, CAL, Kerbpaint, NAS-Naval Artillery System, WW2Warships, Tweakscale.

DOWNLOAD

This is my take on the heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen, and has been my main project since the Admiralty M Destroyer. It is fully functional and real sized, at 212 meters in length, traveling at 16.8 M/s at top speed, and coming in at a whopping 1155 parts. I encountered plenty on problems, with the ship not seeming to load properly, but eventually managed to pull it together, despite putting this poor MacBookPro to its limits.

How to get it into the water:

The clamps may act somewhat kraken-y, but they should be ok, if not attach them to the keel. 

Load up Hyperedit/VesselMover, sadly a stock option seems somewhat insane for a 20K Ton vessel (also for Hyper edit-Hack Gravity), and a go forward/ type in coordinates (my preference is -73 for longitude, a fair amount from the KSC.

Keep the time warp at 1X, and let it fall into the water, but activate the 1st stage first!

This should be good, if it isn't, please notify me.

Action groups!

1-Shuts down engines

2-Toggles Thrust Reversers

3-Toggles 203MM Main guns.

4-Toggles AA Guns.

5- 105 MM Secondaries

*These gifs are from an older version of this ship. The current ship is slightly different.

Main Guns firing

XAPjG7G.gif

Secondary Guns Firing (was in old version)

LPFTEp8.gif

Album

Thanks for reading, if you find any problems with this ship, let me know.

Edited by SaturnianBlue

2 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Wow, good job! So, what's your next big warship going to be? Another cruiser? Or perhaps a battleship?

Too bad I can only like a thread one time.

I'm going to build Bismarck, I want to try and recreate the Battle Of The Denmark Strait, though I don't know if even 1.1 can support an extensive battle with Hood and Prince Of Wales. Thanks! :) 

You can like replies in the thread though. :P 

5 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

@SaturnianBlue, what mods are you using? Also, the ship looks amazing. And what are the specs on your MacBook? I'm using an Air, and I want to know if I need to purchase fire insurance before downloading that monster of a ship.

If you mean the visual mod, I'm using scatterer. Thanks, I'm using a MacbookPro from a couple years back, and here is your warning: the laptop has crashed several times during the course of the construction...

I don't have the time nor CPU power to build replica's like that. Your ships are beautiful, the Eugen even more than the previous one!

Requesting permission to feature your ship in the OP of my WW2W topic and on it's Space Dock page.

4 hours ago, Azimech said:

I don't have the time nor CPU power to build replica's like that. Your ships are beautiful, the Eugen even more than the previous one!

Requesting permission to feature your ship in the OP of my WW2W topic and on it's Space Dock page.

Sure, feel free to use the ship on the space dock and the op of your mod. :) 

1 hour ago, castille7 said:

Another great craft build SaturnianBlue, I will be sure not to fly any of my craft near it! :D

Thanks, you could try and weld most of the superstructure with Ubio welding, as many of the parts don't have modules.

1 hour ago, Bubbadevlin said:

Dang... thats cool! The amount of detail on the deck is great!

Thank you, I would have gone for even more detail but I didn't want to crash my computer too much.... :P 

Edited by SaturnianBlue

Hey man,

She is a glorious craft! The part count made my eyes water and got me thinking. If you are happy to use mods why not use the part weld mod to weld the ships hull and deck? It would make these really playable and imagine two or more in a fleet!! Now that would be a sight to see.

20 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Hey man,

She is a glorious craft! The part count made my eyes water and got me thinking. If you are happy to use mods why not use the part weld mod to weld the ships hull and deck? It would make these really playable and imagine two or more in a fleet!! Now that would be a sight to see.

I'm not sure how the welding mod would work with my mods. It certainly won't work with hull panels type A & B because of the modules. It would probably work with the deck plating. It probably won't be any good with the structural plates because they are buoyancy modifiers, needed to balance the ship. I really wonder what the welding mod would do with CoM and center of buoyancy.

I'm not even sure the welding mod would recognize my parts. And Kerbpaint? Likely forget it.

Just now, Azimech said:

I'm not sure how the welding mod would work with my mods. It certainly won't work with hull panels type A & B because of the modules. It would probably work with the deck plating. It probably won't be any good with the structural plates because they are buoyancy modifiers, needed to balance the ship. I really wonder what the welding mod would do with CoM and center of buoyancy.

I'm not even sure the welding mod would recognize my parts. And Kerbpaint? Likely forget it.

Hmm, worth I try I think either way. Can you imagine a fleet of those bad boys with aircraft dogfighting above! It's a multiplayer dream!

30 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Hmm, worth I try I think either way. Can you imagine a fleet of those bad boys with aircraft dogfighting above! It's a multiplayer dream!

For the future I'm working on standardized internal hull structures. Less ideal for replica's but good for multiplayer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 2/29/2016 at 8:32 PM, SaturnianBlue said:

If you mean the visual mod, I'm using scatterer. Thanks, I'm using a MacbookPro from a couple years back, and here is your warning: the laptop has crashed several times during the course of the construction...

I am on a macbook from about 7 years ago now(it doesn't feel like it) and I cannot even launch a single over 190 pc rocket, it may be something with me but, wow that must be a big increase in power, (love the name) anyway love the ship, and can I have your computer(joke, i'm bad at them), I think mine would act like a rocket.... 

2 hours ago, Madmanwithabox said:

I am on a macbook from about 7 years ago now(it doesn't feel like it) and I cannot even launch a single over 190 pc rocket, it may be something with me but, wow that must be a big increase in power, (love the name) anyway love the ship, and can I have your computer(joke, i'm bad at them), I think mine would act like a rocket.... 

Mine is from Late 2012, so that is quite likely the main reason behind my laptop having the capability to load these ships.

2 hours ago, Madmanwithabox said:

try DMP(dark multiplayer)

Though such a scene would certainly be around 2000+ parts...

On 1/22/2017 at 9:22 AM, SaturnianBlue said:

Mine is from Late 2012, so that is quite likely the main reason behind my laptop having the capability to load these ships.

Though such a scene would certainly be around 2000+ parts...

welp, that is wot the welding mod is for, right X-D ?  yea sadly, too tru

On 3/25/2016 at 5:04 PM, SaturnianBlue said:

I updated the Prinz Eugen to work in the newest NAS and the newest WW2Warships! 8DggWd7.pngfRcmKJY.png

also how did you get nas/bdarmoury running, my ksp goes splat whenever I try with bd? I have tried older versions, and I am at a loss, so help? since you have it running

edit: I can get err message next weekend 

Edited by Madmanwithabox
Forgot stuff

7 hours ago, Madmanwithabox said:

also how did you get nas/bdarmoury running, my ksp goes splat whenever I try with bd? I have tried older versions, and I am at a loss, so help? since you have it running

edit: I can get err message next weekend 

It works quite fine, I just put it in the Gamedata as usual.

8 hours ago, Madmanwithabox said:

welp, that is wot the welding mod is for, right X-D ?  yea sadly, too tru

I actually tried to use the welding mod but it mostly resulted in big messes and I've only gotten them to work with stock parts.

Edited by SaturnianBlue

16 hours ago, SaturnianBlue said:

It works quite fine, I just put it in the Gamedata as usual.

I actually tried to use the welding mod but it mostly resulted in big messes and I've only gotten them to work with stock parts.

interesting, I 

I think I have the latest version of osx, I may not have leopard, but bdarmoury never works for me…  however I think the welding mod worked for me, or I might not have tryed it yet, but the texture compressor breaks all the textures, and makes my game run so much faster

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.