Flying Boats of all sizes and shapes

Teec

I worked on a series of airplanes, that are capable of landing on water with their hull. But they should also look cool and resemble real Flying Boats as much as possible. Here are some of my results. Some designs had trouble with lifting of the water. I found that the alignment of the thrust vector is critical and that not all parts survive the impact into the water :D Most of this planes can be landed on the sea just like on the runway with a normal speed, only the smallest 'Boatplane S' flips when I don't slow down enough.

What do you think? Have you done similar crafts? 

960E5D4373364F5217B486B60E270D6AAB865921

Boatplane XL

66B32D9E2AA9C6E3A046BF1482776F5EFECB2F99

Boatplane L

1B1713B7C1BFCE6265E1773CE2C8DE6549618783

Boatplane M

E0D95F318A5364598C114A639A6A489364AE822A

Boatplane S

Edited by Teec

I love the Boatplane S! So cute!!!

I have a couple that I've tinkered with. But this is the only one that actually does anything useful: The Sea Hippo. Can lug at least 60t around. I used it for the Deep Diver Challenge to dump a sub in the water.

@FlipNascar Wow 60 tons! :) How do you get it to lift of the water? I just completed my biggest seaplane yet, and I had this problem. But I wanted to keep my cargo bay above the water line, so I had to put a lot of extra buoyancy tanks under the hull. I guess that created a lot of drag :huh: The Lift-off works fine, but only if I don't carry more than 1000 units of fuel, so the total weight is only 36 tons.

But anyways, this is my Boatplane XXL and it carries a tiny dinghy :D

34DAB38CF842090472A66E8D2770803A562D3162

You also have a creat view on the ocean down below from the cockpit :D

3CEBA67C261241D7C9F4685ACEA4F9FB5E742EE9

CAA9F1A8F5674C60812D50E26436F540F218FE79

16 minutes ago, Teec said:

@FlipNascar Wow 60 tons! :) How do you get it to lift of the water? I just completed my biggest seaplane yet, and I had this problem. But I wanted to keep my cargo bay above the water line, so I had to put a lot of extra buoyancy tanks under the hull. I guess that created a lot of drag :huh: The Lift-off works fine, but only if I don't carry more than 1000 units of fuel, so the total weight is only 36 tons.

I realize now, I've never tried lugging 60t out of the water... Only to the water! It's a pig to get it out of the drink again. Takes a lot of water to get over the drag hump... Hmm guess that's a testing omission on my part. It'll lift, eventually, with nearly full fuel. Would probably need a bunch of Goliaths to get it capable of lugging that payload out of the drink. I never thought of that during the design process. It was just supposed to drop stuff and head back empty... Oops.

I have a Seaplane named SeaDog that will be released this weekend with a twin seat watercraft named Jet Ski 105, it's a combo of a Jet Ski - VTOL - Underwater - Sportscraft that will be in the cargo bay.

SeaDog

B2heDDD.png

I've completed SeaDog and Jet Ski 105

Will release craft files soon

My video got blocked, I will update it soon

Edited by castille7
video needs an update

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

I have a cargo seaplane too. Tested with 114 tons when taking off from water, can possibly do more. From land the current safe limit is 288 tons.

Incredible power on that Seaplane and I love the Yacht, this is a really nice project!

Edited by castille7

6 hours ago, Azimech said:

I have a cargo seaplane too. Tested with 114 tons when taking off from water, can possibly do more. From land the current safe limit is 288 tons.

This is actually my favourite plane in the whole forums. To see that thing lugging a damn yacht is already amazing. I kind of kept an imgur album of your whole cargo series, as a bookmark on google chrome. Still there.

I would like to tell you to keep updating that thing, for more efficiency, more range, and some realism overhaul (because I want to see how this works in my world, you know. Yes, its annoying, I figure).

Edited by Matuchkin

1 minute ago, Matuchkin said:

This is actually my favourite plane in the whole forums. I kind of kept an imgur album of your whole cargo series, as a bookmark on google chrome. Still there.

I would like to tell you to keep updating that thing, for more efficiency, more range, and some realism overhaul (because I want to see how this works in my world, you know. Yes, its annoying, I figure).

Wow ... one of the nicest compliments ever. I do like the concept and yes, I will be updating them in the future. The FAR versions are superior, but Pallas hasn't got one yet. It's interesting to note that the first version, which was FAR only, was able to circumnavigate Kerbin 12 times on it's internal tanks. With standard aero it's hard to complete a single one. So if you're interested and want to see more realistic versions, be sure to check a future FAR version.

6 minutes ago, Azimech said:

It's interesting to note that the first version, which was FAR only, was able to circumnavigate Kerbin 12 times on it's internal tanks.

Ho! It can certainly go around Earth. That's amazing.

Now, I'll go ask for a mod that converts Kerb currency into USD.

10 hours ago, FlipNascar said:

I love the Boatplit'se S! So cute!!!

I have a couple that I've tinkered with. But this is the only one that actually does anything useful: The Sea Hippo. Can lug at least 60t around. I used it for the Deep Diver Challenge to dump a sub in the water.

Really cool, I like the flipped cargo ramp idea, it is also a tough looking craft!

4 hours ago, RixKillian said:

I've been working for a while on a replica Consolidated PBY Catalina - it flies fantastically, but I still can't land it without it flipping over.. Any ideas?

For reference: 

Consolidated-PBY-Catalina.jpg

WOW! Your replica looks amazing!

What I did was make my plane tail heavy and use extra elevators to compensate. You could also stuff some buoyancy modifiers in the nose like empty tanks.  It also helps to reverse thrust the seconds before touch down. KSP doesn't play nice when landing seaplanes.

9 hours ago, Azimech said:

WOW! Your replica looks amazing!

What I did was make my plane tail heavy and use extra elevators to compensate. You could also stuff some buoyancy modifiers in the nose like empty tanks.  It also helps to reverse thrust the seconds before touch down. KSP doesn't play nice when landing seaplanes.

Thanks! That's a swell idea, I'll try that and see how it works. It be nice to have some sort of planing simulation when landing :P

On 3/4/2016 at 9:42 AM, Azimech said:

How does computer not explode? I have a 4690k OC to 4.5 and Delta time per frame at its lowest setting, and my computer would not enjoy flying that

7 minutes ago, fireblade274 said:

How does computer not explode? I have a 4690k OC to 4.5 and Delta time per frame at its lowest setting, and my computer would not enjoy flying that

You mean Delta-t at 0.02? Yeah that's smooth but slow. Best for video recording if it can restore speed to normal values. I usually use 0.04 to 0.06.

On 5.3.2016 at 2:58 AM, RixKillian said:

I've been working for a while on a replica Consolidated PBY Catalina - it flies fantastically, but I still can't land it without it flipping over.. Any ideas?

Your amazing craft inspired me to try a similar design. Not as detailed as yours, and a little bit smaller. Had also problems with flipping over frist, but shifting the centre of mass more backward and landing slowly helped (Also you might want to put more buoyancy in the front). Now my Boatplane W can take of and land in the water without problem.

0A9A698A420DDF3844E97C35EF0113B0D918F681

09EBBCD19E105C2323DF747138518310C6AC5134

078A7D7A9949D3CCA121B1D89C4BF127115538CF

Edited by Teec

On 3/8/2016 at 6:34 AM, Teec said:

Your amazing craft inspired me to try a similar design. Not as detailed as yours, and a little bit smaller. Had also problems with flipping over frist, but shifting the centre of mass more backward and landing slowly helped (Also you might want to put more buoyancy in the front). Now my Boatplane W can take of and land in the water without problem.

Very nice! It definitely retains the spirit of the Catalina, and I'm sure in fewer parts! (My replica is approaching 350 right now :P)

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.