benjee10

[1.1] HabTech - Stockalike Station Parts - v0.1.7

366 posts in this topic

ULZlYyL.png

Had it with Hitchhikers? Sick of science labs? Does using Lander Cans in your space stations leave a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach? Love orbital construction but lacking a reason to do it in career mode? 

HabTech aims to provide a set of stock alike parts for space station construction which can stand alone or function with other mods such as USI Life Support, Kerbal Inventory System and Station Science to expand the stock game's ability to create and find functions for space stations. Initially the mod will be focusing on providing analogues for parts of the US side of the ISS & US visiting vehicles, since Tantares pretty much has all the Russian stuff covered.

FEATURES:

• Cygnus Parts
  • A variety of parts designed to replicate the US modules of the ISS (see album below)
  • ISS-style trusses
  • Small Cupola
  • Multiple labs
  • Giant Solar Arrays
  • IVAs for all credible parts
  • Optional low-memory IVAs (very basic, purely for those who just want crew portraits)
  • Alternate stockalike solar panel texture

Additional functionality is planned in future. The intention is to create new sets of science experiments which must be run several times and returned to Kerbin to be completed, necessitating multiple space station expeditions to obtain all science by running the experiment and EVA transferring it to a return vehicle. Station Science configs are also planned to be included, as is support for USI LS, TAC LS and Snacks. The parts lack hatches for realism and to require the use of an airlock part (a US-style airlock will be included.) I'm aiming for a Porkjet-style aesthetic, and elements of Porkjet's textures have been used within the parts (namely the hatch decals). 

OBLIGATORY ALBUM:

BM5nDFz.png

YkSozzj.png

Download 0.1.7 on SpaceDock!

Edited by benjee10
69 people like this

Textures are looking fantastic! Very Porkalike

LOVE the Pork-alike resembalance :D  I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THESE PUPPIES WITH IVAs!!!!!

Oh, I like those very much and look forward to seeing more. Thank you for sharing your hard work!

Nice idea and perfect execution, will definitely test it when you release something.

Indeed, that's looking really great! I've been wanting new habitat parts, and this fits just on my needs! Great job!

Wow! Really neat! Love the Cygnus-type module. 

Looking good once again, bruh. 

I hope optimizing your textures well! I'd love to see your interpretation of the PMA/APAS/CBM. 

Cheers for the comments everyone! Bit of progress:

Shorter hab/logistics module (based on the Kibo logistics module) along with a CBM:

Ki1BEl2.png

Still working on getting the normal textures to look right. Might skip normals entirely since not many stock parts have them. Thoughts?

WIP airlock (textures very WIP):

ys9uQgu.png?1

Edited by benjee10
6 people like this

Love these! But maybe you could make the crew doors/attach nodes the grey (gray?) from the Mk1 Crew Cabin hatch, the grey with the hatch on it instead of these heavylifting plane look-alikes.

On 05/03/2016 at 5:39 PM, davidy12 said:

LOVE the Pork-alike resembalance :D  I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THESE PUPPIES WITH IVAs!!!!!

I have mixed feelings about IVAa. I rarely use them in gameplay, and I have known them have a huge hit on RAM use. I suspect the worst case I came across used far too much detail in textures and mesh. I think I would wait and see what v1.1 works out like. But I would prefer having an option for a very simple IVA. It isn't so hard to delete the IVA from the cfg-file, but not having the option in the Mod can be a nuisance.

Whelp, you've certainly grabbed my attention! Very exciting!

1 person likes this

Alpha download link is up!

Early dev so let me know anything you think needs changing. Currently supports USI LS. 

Features features six parts:

• 6-way node
  • Short logistics module
  • Long lab
  • Airlock
  • Cygnus trunk segment
  • CBM docking port

R44SIwX.png

As for IVAs, currently just using the placeholder one but given the cutaway views coming in 1.1 I will be creating IVAs at some point.

Edited by benjee10
4 people like this

Love the mod great to see new stockalike station mods coming out keep up the good work. :wink:

if you need any help with this mod. let me know. i am willing to help :)

This looks real sharp! One thing though, I don't feel as though the unity-style module should be a crew hab module. Real unity is mostly for interconnection and logistics isn't it? I say just give it ample battery and RCS or torque, and move habitat to a new module.

great design mate !

awesome and stylish perfect mod with delicious textures. - the Cygnus segment is beautiful.

Edited by RaendyLeBeau

26 minutes ago, Gryphorim said:

This looks real sharp! One thing though, I don't feel as though the unity-style module should be a crew hab module. Real unity is mostly for interconnection and logistics isn't it? I say just give it ample battery and RCS or torque, and move habitat to a new module.

I believe that some of the nodes on the ISS (if not Unity itself) do have sleeping quarters in them, and since that part is meant to be able to be used for all of them, I thought I'd better give it appropriate crew capacity. I think that USI bases its habitability time on crew capacity, though I'm still trying to figure that out (I'm getting some NaNs at the moment).

Cheers for the feedback everyone. Let me know how you think the parts feel in game.

fhVDuAV.png?1

bSsQeZM.png?1

Couple of dev shots of the Z1 truss part. This is the bit of the ISS which controls attitude using four reaction wheels in the back. In real life this module has only one crew accessible hatch (the other is purely structural) but I'm going to give it two so you can use it as a truss/crew adapter thing if you want. Will have some hefty torque but come at a price in terms of EC usage. Probably will have monoprop storage as well. Width is 2.5m.

7 people like this

These look nice, love the details. :)

Edited by Angel-125