[1.11.x] Endurance (from Interstellar) Continued... (V1.13) 20th Feb 2021

JPLRepo

I've got a pretty reliable method of getting the Endurance into orbit.  Mount a Kickback on the outside of each pod.  You still need to fire up the main engines, but it makes for a spectacular launch.  Check out this image of a launch using Thumpers.

?id=644178150 

At the moment I can't recall how many base modules can be included, if any.

Here's Endurance after jettisoning the spent Kickbacks.

?id=644177620

For the Kickbacks, use the decouplers that look like saw-horses.

Edited by thomash

ummmm i broke it........   the little dingy shuttle launches.... can hit the ground at 200m/s and not explode... but the ranger....... lol its broken bro.   cant turn off VTOL mode until air born,     lol then at rougly 5k or lower or maybe its speed related i get a engine flame out on one side and go into death spin.... Glitchy as all hell,   if u want pics ill upload.   if any mods conflict with this mod please let me know or ill upload my mod list as well to find culprits

18 hours ago, NemesisBosseret said:

ummmm i broke it........   the little dingy shuttle launches.... can hit the ground at 200m/s and not explode... but the ranger....... lol its broken bro.   cant turn off VTOL mode until air born,     lol then at rougly 5k or lower or maybe its speed related i get a engine flame out on one side and go into death spin.... Glitchy as all hell,   if u want pics ill upload.   if any mods conflict with this mod please let me know or ill upload my mod list as well to find culprits

It's not a mod conflict. I tested it with my clean install of KSP. The death spiral probably means you had the mode change set to manual. The engines switch to closed-cycle at 3km if left on automatic.

@JPLRepo has already said he'll take a look at the Ranger's performance though.

On 6/16/2016 at 8:00 PM, phoenix_ca said:

It's not a mod conflict. I tested it with my clean install of KSP. The death spiral probably means you had the mode change set to manual. The engines switch to closed-cycle at 3km if left on automatic.

@JPLRepo has already said he'll take a look at the Ranger's performance though.

Lol nope.   Definitely something else,  because I tried that.   Intake air totally stops on left side, causing engine cut out on Manuel.   I figured that out after I tried what u said  first.    Weirdest thing ever because the little dingy shuttle works fine.    But a bug I'm also experiencing Is on craft load,  engine start without pressing space bar...  I've tried a few other things but the craft engines will start the second the game fully loads in.    So on Ranger,  it's ur vtol engine,   on the shuttle it's ur main engines.... it's got me kinda urched because this is friken awsome but I can't figure it out....  is there known mod conflicts so far in 1.1.2 because I'm pretty sure that's what's going on or the craft files are broken for me

3 minutes ago, NemesisBosseret said:

But a bug I'm also experiencing Is on craft load,  engine start without pressing space bar...

The VTOL engine is active by default. Couple that with KSP's (absolutely stupid) default throttle setting of 50% on launch, and you're bound to do flips on the runway before you can cut the engines.

17 minutes ago, NemesisBosseret said:

Lol nope.   Definitely something else,  because I tried that.   Intake air totally stops on left side, causing engine cut out on Manuel.   I figured that out after I tried what u said  first.    Weirdest thing ever because the little dingy shuttle works fine.    But a bug I'm also experiencing Is on craft load,  engine start without pressing space bar...  I've tried a few other things but the craft engines will start the second the game fully loads in.    So on Ranger,  it's ur vtol engine,   on the shuttle it's ur main engines.... it's got me kinda urched because this is friken awsome but I can't figure it out....  is there known mod conflicts so far in 1.1.2 because I'm pretty sure that's what's going on or the craft files are broken for me

I am working on the settings for the engines. Yes the Ranger engines airbreathing mode needs some tweaks. I am currently working on re-balancing it's ISP, thrust, air, fuel, etc.
With care you can fly it... even in it's current state. Have you tried the craft file download I have set-up? It's available as a separate zip download in the OP.
If the engine is staging on launch something else is wrong. Please supply a log file and I will take a look to ensure you don't have some other issue going on in your install. (instructions and link in the OP).

13 minutes ago, phoenix_ca said:

The VTOL engine is active by default. Couple that with KSP's (absolutely stupid) default throttle setting of 50% on launch, and you're bound to do flips on the runway before you can cut the engines.

No it's not? It's available in the staging like any other engine and won't activate until you stage (spoacebar) the vessel.

As KSP 1.1.3 is due out next week (tm)? (Fingers crossed, as per the DevNotes and announcements) I won't be releasing any update until after that.

Edited by JPLRepo

5 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

No it's not? It's available in the staging like any other engine and won't activate until you stage (spoacebar) the vessel.

That's what happens to me. If I just naively install this mod via CKAN, plop the ranger plus it's engines into the SPH and launch, as soon as it's finished loading it flips itself. :(

Edited by phoenix_ca

+JPLREPO

lol if I could I would send you video showing you this epic failure lol.  How do I send you the log,   is there some way I could video record this,    this is worse than jacksepticeye trying to make a space planew,  it's hilarious but just totally not working lol

If I could I'd upload screen shots from my phone lol.  There is a little bugs with the landing legs but I'm competent enough of a pilot to make it work,  but they like to sink into the ground a tiny bit

54 minutes ago, NemesisBosseret said:

+JPLREPO

lol if I could I would send you video showing you this epic failure lol.  How do I send you the log,   is there some way I could video record this,    this is worse than jacksepticeye trying to make a space planew,  it's hilarious but just totally not working lol

If I could I'd upload screen shots from my phone lol.  There is a little bugs with the landing legs but I'm competent enough of a pilot to make it work,  but they like to sink into the ground a tiny bit

Engine balance is a known problem with the Ranger.
Lander Legs are a known problem with the Ranger.
Refer to the OP.

8 minutes ago, NemesisBosseret said:

Interesting what about the engines starting on load?

No I haven't heard of that one, no one before you has reported it and it doesn't happen for me.
Please post a log, maybe your craft file and I'll take a look.
Instructions for supplying logs are linked in the OP. Read the OP. People who can't be bothered to read the OP, I can't be bothered to help.
Help me to help you.

Edited by JPLRepo

Lol op ?    Over powered? 

Operating proceedure?

Btw the lander doesn't maneuver on kerbin,   I just tested that...  you really don't need a craft file I just slapped in the engines like they are supposed to go,  I've used ur mod before,    awsome mod... I'm trying to sort it out,  I might of found a weird conflict bug but I'm trying to figure out how I can log this so you can see it

7 minutes ago, NemesisBosseret said:

Lol op ?    Over powered? 

Operating proceedure?

Btw the lander doesn't maneuver on kerbin,   I just tested that...  you really don't need a craft file I just slapped in the engines like they are supposed to go,  I've used ur mod before,    awsome mod... I'm trying to sort it out,  I might of found a weird conflict bug but I'm trying to figure out how I can log this so you can see it

OP = Opening Post - used to refer to the Opening Post or first post in a Thread. Instructions in the OP for support, for known issues, and a link to how to capture and provide your log file can also be found there.

On 21/06/2016 at 0:08 PM, NemesisBosseret said:

@JPLRepo

Sorry it took me awhile ive been working and trying to get other things fixed with other mods.  And im friken retard on trying to figure out how to load this GIANT log file hopefully it works for you.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47926201/Ksp.Log

sorry but you have supplied the KSP.Log not the Detailed Output_log.txt file.
But I wouldn't bother supplying that log file now as I went through the KSP.Log and I can see no errors related to this mod at all... but I do see LOTS of other errors related to other mods.
I think your problem is not related to this mod. Unless you can re-produce the error and provide detailed steps to re-produce along with a detailed log file (as per the How to get support thread that is linked in the Opening Post) there is not a lot I can do. If this was a common problem others would have the same issue.
can you reproduce the problems youare having with JUST this mod installed? (with no other mods?).

Edited by JPLRepo

1 hour ago, JPLRepo said:

sorry but you have supplied the KSP.Log not the Detailed Output_log.txt file.
But I wouldn't bother supplying that log file now as I went through the KSP.Log and I can see no errors related to this mod at all... but I do see LOTS of other errors related to other mods.
I think your problem is not related to this mod. Unless you can re-produce the error and provide detailed steps to re-produce along with a detailed log file (as per the How to get support thread that is linked in the Opening Post) there is not a lot I can do. If this was a common problem others would have the same issue.
can you reproduce the problems youare having with JUST this mod installed? (with no other mods?).

My bet would be on Throttle Controlled Avionics or similar mod, had this happening too with another craft and TCA on by default

Just an update:
I have got the Ranger working MUCH MUCH better in stock and FAR. Tweaks to the engines, balance, etc.
I am having major issues getting the Lander balanced with FAR (because it's such a big block of ship, it doesn't play nice). But it is working well in stock aero.
Once I can figure out a MM patch for when FAR is installed I'll be ready to update to 1.1.3. (landing legs are still an issue, we have to wait for Unity upgrade and KSP 1.2 for that).
Oh, and I have to re-do the supplied craft files zip because it does not contain my tweaks.

@JPLRepo, once all the mods are updated 1.1.3 I'll try going mod by mod to figure out what's going on with it.    once I get an error I'll upload the output.log and ksp.log  with screen shots maybe do a short video showing it.   As to other mods being at fault.   I wasn't using endurance parts on my rockets or planes on that specific load.  They where installed but I didn't fly them on that ksp.log.    I uploaded that log so if there is a known conflict that ur aware of it would redflag you.   I know about alot of thoughs mod issues ur seeing in that log and I'm troubleshooting multiple mods with there capability with each other.   I'll pin point the issue if it's still present after all the mods are up to date.

@Jasseji

Ur probably right with that being a problem.    It's either that or another mod conflicting like SVE /EVE/ extra solar conflict with an eve config because extrasolar has a config for clouds... it glitches and causes no clouds...   something similar is probably going on with endurance and another mod.      I also had issues with OPT being installed causing ksp to not load.   OPT not installed game works,  

20 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

Just an update:
I have got the Ranger working MUCH MUCH better in stock and FAR. Tweaks to the engines, balance, etc.
I am having major issues getting the Lander balanced with FAR (because it's such a big block of ship, it doesn't play nice). But it is working well in stock aero.
Once I can figure out a MM patch for when FAR is installed I'll be ready to update to 1.1.3. (landing legs are still an issue, we have to wait for Unity upgrade and KSP 1.2 for that).
Oh, and I have to re-do the supplied craft files zip because it does not contain my tweaks.

What's the issue with landing legs?   I've seen tons of mod developers talking about it but no one actually explaining it?     Is it a collision mesh? Or something dealing with ground friction?    It seems ksp stock parts work,  unless I'm a goober and didn't catch it.   Is there added code? Or code variations from 1.0.5?    

2 hours ago, Denko666 said:

Thanks for the update JPL!! 

Lil question tho: did you get around to fixing the docking port of the ranger? Or is that still an open issue?

I have no open issue regarding the Ranger docking port of the Ranger on gitHub.
I did remove the "control from here" on the docking port, fogot to put it in the change log (updated it now). There is no way to have two on one part. And if I make the Ranger docking port a separate part (as it used to be) then the EVA hatch becomes blocked due to the way KSP 1.1 operates.

Regarding the Ranger and Lander Flipping on load...

I have the same problem.  If you are also using TCA (Throttle Controlled Avionics) that could be the cause.  For me it was turning on the engines at load.  That action coupled with the 50% default of the throttle caused my ships to lurch forward into a tumble.  I was also having a problem with any command pod that included retro rockets.  They would also fire up on the launch pad destroying the rocket.  I uninstalled TCA and it all went away.

Thing is that it's a seriously challenging mod to use, so I've had trouble figuring out why. I'll try to find a fix over at the TCA board.  

The Lander and ranger engines are very powerful. Set throttle to zero before staging. and power up slowly. In the lower atmosphere keep your speed down and everything is fine. Same with transitioning from VTOL to forward thrust. Do it slowly.
I haven't used TCA for a while, so maybe there is an issue with TCA. @thomash let us all know how you go.