[1.11.x] Endurance (from Interstellar) Continued... (V1.13) 20th Feb 2021

JPLRepo

Think i found another bug for ya. The Endurance Engine mounts are using the experimentalRocketry tech node, do not think that is usable anymore. least not for me anyway lol 

8 minutes ago, Elith said:

Think i found another bug for ya. The Endurance Engine mounts are using the experimentalRocketry tech node, do not think that is usable anymore. least not for me anyway lol 

That's not necessarily a bug.. but I did not look at Career mode tech tree assignments at all.
Happy for anyone to provide input here on where they think things should be or not...
I'll put it on the  list to look through them and see none are invalid and they are reasonably balanced.

IF anyone wants to also do a CTT config, etc I would be happy to distribute it as part of the mod as well.

oops, ya did not even think about the Community Tech Tree lol and wow that thing has really expanded since i last looked at it... just about to nightmare levels of detail on the tree. Also much respect for bringing this great mod back.

I've made a short video of the new Endurance in action. It's nothing great, my first time using actual video editing software for something like this. I'll upload the .craft files I've made tomorrow, I'll link them here and on the video.

Watch it here: 

Update on the RCS and ranger legs issues. I have sorted out the ranger and I've managed to fix its legs so they work like real landing gear using a custom part module. I just need to test everything and hope to get an update out in the next 24 hours or so.

Just released V0.92. Fixes the Ranger docking port. The ranger and lander RCS. The Ranger landing legs are now proper landing legs, activate using the "G"ear key.
To enable this, this mod now includes a custom part module for the ranger legs. Source code link in the OP. Thanks to @Shadowmage for his amazing SSTU mod and permission to adapt his part module code.
Added AVC version checking support.

Is it just me or does the ranger docking port in  .9.2 not work? Its not magnetic, cannot set it as a target and it won't  attach. 

And it won't attach to a regular docking port either.

Edited by Denko666

Just one remark:

The Lander is supposed to reenter top first, in order to protect the cargo underneath. It should have a high center of mass so it's easier to stabilize it in that position.

34 minutes ago, m4ti140 said:

Just one remark:

The Lander is supposed to reenter top first, in order to protect the cargo underneath. It should have a high center of mass so it's easier to stabilize it in that position.

Actually a fairly central COM with very strong SAS would probably work better as It needs to reenter upside down. But then flip over to fly / land on its VTOL engines. of the COM is perfect for upside own flight it may make right side up flight much more touchy.

20 minutes ago, V8jester said:

Actually a fairly central COM with very strong SAS would probably work better as It needs to reenter upside down. But then flip over to fly / land on its VTOL engines. of the COM is perfect for upside own flight it may make right side up flight much more touchy.

Yep, the np should converge on cog.

um, there's seems to be a problem

I can't dock my lander to endurance, using endurance docking port and ranger port too

and also, lander has an issue with rcs translation, you might want to check it

and one more.. there is a massive lag whenever I place Deployable Habitation Unit

i have to "deflate" it first and quickly inflate it again (or else, it will destroy the ring structure) to gain fps... 

44 minutes ago, bravemanray said:

um, there's seems to be a problem

I can't dock my lander to endurance, using endurance docking port and ranger port too

and also, lander has an issue with rcs translation, you might want to check it

and one more.. there is a massive lag whenever I place Deployable Habitation Unit

i have to "deflate" it first and quickly inflate it again (or else, it will destroy the ring structure) to gain fps... 

Are you using version 0.92?

39 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

Are you using version 0.92?

yep, just downloaded it last night, and installing it this morning

I'm going to look further if there's more problem to find out

-edit-

I can't translate to upward with lander.. other direction works fine

Edited by bravemanray

1 hour ago, bravemanray said:

yep, just downloaded it last night, and installing it this morning

I'm going to look further if there's more problem to find out

-edit-

I can't translate to upward with lander.. other direction works fine

I'll check out the docking ports.. but they should be working... and the habitat...
As for the Lander.. I just realized the original model has no downwards thrusters in order to translate up.... 
I'll have to add some. EDIT: in the meantime you can wack some linear RCS ports on the bottom of the legs.

Edited by JPLRepo

I've got a fix for the lander RCS ready. Also fixed it's shader -should have been specular.
I've also added attach nodes to the top and bottom of the lander, which I think will make it easier to make the endurance and attach it without using subassemblies (still to test that though).
I'm also trying to figure out what is going on with the docking ports, because they are misbehaving. So more work there to figure out what is going on with those.
I can't replicate whatever the FPS issue is with the inflatable habitat, seem to work fine for me.
I will do a pass over everything again to make sure I haven't missed anything else once I sort out the above before I do another point release.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.