[1.11.x] Endurance (from Interstellar) Continued... (V1.13) 20th Feb 2021

JPLRepo

This mod is intended to recreate, visually and functionally, the Endurance spacecraft from the movie 'Interstellar.'
It implements parts to construct the Endurance ring, with highly efficient magnetoplasma engines and a modular design
that allows for multiple configurations of the ship to your mission requirements. 

Construct the ring in the VAB and launch it to LKO, before docking advanced Ranger and Lander vehicles to it.
Both the Ranger and Lander act as SSTOs and feature detailed, Raster Prop Monitor integrated IVAs.

Endurance (from Interstellar) KSP Mod

This is a continuation (re-build and fix for KSP 1.0.5) of the original version by @benjee10 (Old thread)
As the mod was severely broken by KSP 1.0.5 enforcement of convex colliders, benjee10 did not have the time to re-build the mod.
benjee10 has given me hIs blessing to continue his mod for him. All credit for the original version goes to benjee10 and his original team.
As this is a continuation the license remains: CC BY-NC 4.0

Features:

• Giant ring outfitted with Habitat, Logistics and Engine modules.
  • Capable of transporting 2 Landers and 2 Rangers across the solar system.
  • Super-efficient plasma thruster engines.
  • Multiple docking ports for visiting vehicles.

This mod is designed to function with (configs provided):
JSI Advanced Transparent Pods, Kerbal Inventory System, Raster Prop Monitor, Kerbal Attachment SystemUSI-LS, TAC-LS.
NOTE: You do not need these mods for this mod to function, but without them your game-play experience will be greatly reduced.

Parts Included:
Base Building Parts:

• MB-25 Freight Transport Module
  • MB-75 Deployable Habitation Unit
  • MB-50 Mobile Analysis Unit (fully fledged science lab)
  • Large Location Ownership signifier
  • Advanced Unpressurised Storage Cuboid
  • Experiment Cluster box part.

Endurance Ring Parts:

• EC-215 Logistics Module
  • EC-200b Command Module
  • Endurance Deep Space Engine
  • DSPS x300 Fuel Assembly
  • MB-2 Habitat Assessment Unit (science)
  • EC-151 Structural Ring
  • Infirmary module

The Lander:

• Lander Fuselage (built in engines)
  • Lander Lift Engine (VTOLs)

Small Ship (Viper):

• Viper Composite Fuselage (built in engines)

Medium Ship (Ranger):

• Ranger fuselage
  • XP-F40 "Cooper" Aerospike Thruster

Docking Ports:

• Ranger Docking Port
  • Endurance Docking Port
  • Endurance Outer Docking Node
  • Endurance Outer Ranger Docking Node

FUTURE VERSIONS: 
Ranger - Fix it's landing legs (after KSP 1.1 drops as it will have big changes to wheels and legs)
KER and MJ do not see the Rapier and Lander Engines in their displays
Fix symmetry on all parts.

Endurance habitat is a placeholder IVA - it's actually using the crewCabinInternals
Fix Endurance Command IVA. - Needs re-work.

How do I build the Endurance? and other related matters????
A W.I.P. WIKI page will help.

Reference Picture of the Endurance
Bug reports and Feature Requests:
Be a :cool:COOL :cool:PERSON and help me by raising bugs and feature requests on GitHub here.
For support please ensure you are following these instructions.
From now on I will NOT respond to requests for support if you have not at least attempted to follow these simple steps.

NO LOG = NO SUPPORT.

When I ask for a LOG I mean this LOG:

KSP versions 1.8.0 and above:

1. Windows: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\Player.log
  2. - This folder is usually hidden so you should enable the view hidden folders option (more information).
  3. Mac OSX: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log Aka Files>~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log
  4. Linux: The log is written to ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal Space Program/Player.log

Whilst I agree CKAN is a great mod for those that can't use Zip tools. I take no part, nor am I interested in maintaining the CKAN mod metadata for my mods.
Please don't ask me about it but refer to the CKAN mod thread if you are having issues with CKAN or the metadata it maintains.

Known and Confirmed issues:

• Ranger Landing legs sink into the ground - I am unable to find a reliable way to fix this and many have had issues with landing legs. Assume further updates to KSP will provide fixes for this. For now it is what it is.

Download the latest release from: (links here) 
SpaceDock, Curse Forge or GitHub
SpaceDock runs and makes mods available to you based purely on donation. If you don't want to pledge to me at least
Consider pledging to keep SpaceDock going if you use it.  8VWCQzN.png
For a comprehensive version checking experience, please download the KSP-AVC Plugin  
This pack includes a modified part module for the inflatable Habitat module adapted from PorkJet's Habitat Pack.
This mod includes a modified part module to allow the Ranger landing legs to function in KSP 1.0.5+ (barely in KSP 1.1+). Code Adapted from shadowmage's awesome SSTU mod.
The code for the adapted Modules can be found on GITHUB here.
The license for the module code remains the same as the SSTU mod license which is: 
GNU General Public License (GPL) 3.0  (licenses included in download).
Example Craft files can be downloaded here. See the included txt file on how to install and use them. Will add to the official release next version. Added to the V1.2 Distribution.
Thanks to @skylon7 for creating them!

If you like my mods and you want to show your support, then you can support me on Patreon:
ZnlLmEw.png

Installation:
Please ensure you delete your \GameData\Endurance\ folder if installing over an older version.
(NOTE: this version only works on KSP 1.1.3 and UP).
Just unzip into your KSP directory.

Requires Module Manager if you want the following mods supported (optional).

B9 tank support for the major LS mods (USI, TAC, Snacks, Kerbalism).
FAR
KIS
KAS
JSI Advanced Transparent Pods
Raster Prop Monitor
TAC-LS
USI-LS
Kerbalism
WBI

I highly recommend the use of Throttle controlled Avionics for flying the VTOL enabled craft (Ranger and Lander).

ChangeLog:

Spoiler

V1.13
Added KSP 1.11 stock inventories.
Fixed issues with Kerbalism:
FusionPellets don't appear on crewed parts.
Ranger VTOL engine guzzles ElectricCharge (due to install with incompatible WBI Classic Stock).
Moved storage cuboid to Cargo category.

V1.12
Added B9 tank support for the major LS mods (USI, TAC, Snacks, Kerbalism).
Added Experiment Cluster box part.
Added Infirmary module part for Endurance ring with DeepFreeze support.
Added improved feature support for these LS mods.
Kerbalism:
   Added comforts.
   Raised science storage capacities.
   Raised ignition count and operation time on all engines. By a lot.
USI:
    Added MedBay option to the Infirmary part.
WBI:
    2 low-output OmniConverter slots in Logistics module when WildBlueTools installed.
    Pathfinder templates.
    Air! and Stress! modules for Snacks! LS.
Added probe control point and extreme range, low-bandwith antenna to command module.
Fixed prior patches: USI LS, KIS.
Fixed docking ports not being in Coupling category, not having a manufacturer key, but also 2 of them actually being non-functional Structural category items (mount points) but saying that they're docking ports.
Fixed other parts being in less appropriate categories.
Remove deployable flag part. It's been broken and unplayable forever.
Integrated Endurance Reconfig.

Endurance Reconfig (from V1.11, KSP 1.9) feature list:
Adds a copy of the crew cabin, purposed for integration with DeepFreeze, Kerbal Health and Kerbalism.
Adds plumes to nearly all engines and RCS thrusters. (Technical issues beyond my grasp.)
Adds stack symmetry (only for 2x symmetry, very handy) to the structural ring.
Adds missing built-in antennas and KerbNet modules.
Fixes heat limits and heat production to be mostly negligible.
Fixes the Viper/Mini-Ranger to:
Have some stack nodes for mounting onto other parts/vessels.
Use Kerbal Flying Saucers features if that mod is installed.
Makes the engines and RCS use only LiquidFuel and ElectricCharge, and raises their Isp and their Electrical demands to practical high levels. These buffs make Endurance much more fit for use in a large kerbal universe, whether an upscaled one or one with many star systems.
Makes use of LqdHydrogen instead of LiquidFuel in CRP (when Rational Resources, CryoEngines or Kerbal Atomics are present).
Makes use of Propellium instead of LiquidFuel in WBI Classic Stock.
LiquidFuel replacement also applies to fuel cells.
Moves some parts further along in the tech tree (when CTT is present) due to their fusion power natures.
Replaces the basic, high-powered generator module with convincing fuel cells and Tokamak-alike fusion power sources.
Changes ElectricCharge tankage and changes tanks to use B9 Part Switch or WBI OmniStorage.
Integrates parts with WBI Pathfinder and Snacks for a very complete gameplay feature set.
Changes habitability assessment experiment into 2x WBT experiments that require time and resources and only fully functions at some worlds.
Makes crewed parts configurable in-flight.
Provides life support mod integration only for WBI Snacks.

V1.11
Re-compile for KSP 1.9.x
Fixed MM config.
Removed Mini-AVC.
V1.10
Re-compile for KSP 1.8.x
V1.9
Re-compile for KSP 1.7.x
V1.8
Re-compile for KSP 1.5.x
V1.7
Re-Compile for KSP 1.4.1
Fixed hatch blocked on the inflatable habitat part.
V1.6
Re-compile for KSP 1.3.1
V1.5
Fix Lander RCS thruster causing it to roll and pitch.
Adjusted CoM and CoL for lander.
Added Gimbal to Lander rear engines for better control.
V1.4
Re-compile for KSP 1.3
V1.3 (was not released)
Re-compile for KSP 1.2+
Re-Balance Lander and Ranger bodies now that lifting bodies is fixed. NB: Once FAR comes out for KSP 1.2 will need another re-balance for FAR.
Science Lab datastorage boosted to 750 and minimum crew set to 1. Also added KerbNet to the Science Lab.
Added new RCSFX to all RCS.
V1.2
Re-compile for KSP 1.1.3
Major re-balance the Ranger Engines to resolve Cutting to closed cycle mode too early. Also, changed it's fuel capacities, EC, air intake, etc to balance.
Removed "control from here" on the Ranger docking built-in docking port.
Same major re-balance the Lander. The Lander requires a tweak if you are using FAR, this is supplied as a Module Manager config file.
So if you are using FAR you also need to install Module Manager.
Added the Example Craft files into the distro as an optional zip. Unzip the embedded zip file and copy into your save file directory as per the
instructions in the included text file.
V1.1
Fixed all the docking ports.
Re-pass over the Science lab - but it's legs also have issues like the Ranger. For now, as long as you don't launch it with it's
legs deployed it seems fine.
Added KIS container space to the Ranger and Lander (if you have KIS installed).
Re-balanced the Ranger and Lander centre of mass and centre of lift and engine thrusters to hopefully make them much more stable.
Fixed blocked hatches on the Lander

V1.0
KSP 1.1.2 Compatibility Upgrade.
Fixed Blocked Hatch on Ranger - Ranger now has a Ranger Docking port built-in. Fixed blocked hatches on a bunch of other parts (thanks KSP 1.1).
Fixed alignment of all Internals with externals to support stock overlay mode. Due to this some internals and externals have been re-scaled and
re-done. Props also have had to change to fit. Added stock overlay mode meshes for internals.
Tweaked CoM and CoL on the lander, hopefully it flies better now in atmosphere.
Added support for JSIAdvTransparentPods - Yep Transparent Windows - (separate download mod see OP for link) on the Viper, Ranger and Lander.
Fixed VTOL engines for the Lander.
Fixed DSPS Fuel Assembly tech tree assignment.
Added search keywords for all parts.
Modified the Endurance ring to have attach nodes on the outside of the ring to allow you to attach new docking nodes.
Added new Endurance Ring docking parts: "Endurance Outer Docking Node" and "Endurance Outer Ranger Docking Node"

V0.93
Fixed Texture on Lander - Specular.
Added Attach nodes to the top and bottom of the Lander.
Fixed RCS ports on Lander and Ranger.
Fixed Docking Nodes, they now attach/detach (couple/de-couple) and have "Control from here" ability.
It is now possible to build the entire Endurance without any Sub-Assemblies. Tip for attaching the docking nodes:
Hold Alt/Option key when placing them, continue holding Alt/Option and rotate them the right way. If they are not green 
move the mouse outwards a little bit until they turn green and release. Should attach nicely. For the Ranger angled ports
first attach docking nodes to a Straight attach point on the ring centre. Attach two Docking nodes the right way around and
then attach the Ranger. Then select the innermost docking port and place it on the angled attach node.

V0.92
Fixed collider on Ranger docking port part.
Fixed RCS transforms on the Ranger and Lander.
Fixed Landing legs on the Ranger - using custom part module adapted from SSTU mod (with permission).
Added AVC version checking support.
V0.91 
Fixed Thermals.
Fixed colliders. Fixed Models. Fixed textures.
Fixed CoM on Lander and Ranger.
Tweaked Lander dry mass to take into account engines.
Added Life Support configs for USI-LS and TAC-LS.
Added Connected Living Space configs.
Added KAS configs.
Heaps (lost count) of config file changes to get everything to work in KSP 1.0.5.
Added Emissives to the Landers VTOL engines.
New Ranger textures (courtesy of xxhansonmaxx).
Consolidated the Implementation folder so all textures and models are in an Assets Folder (with exception of the IVAs).
All the Endurance main modules that have Solar panels on their outside - the Solar Panels now ACTUALLY WORK and produce EC.
Updated the Colony Science Lab to the new KSP 1.0.5 science lab process of data and science.
Fixed Ranger multi-mode engines to work in KSP 1.0.5.
Inflatable ground habitat now has zero capacity when not inflated and 10 when inflated (using Porkjet's module).

This Mod is authored and maintained by: 
@JPLRepo - Models & Textures, Configs, Implementation
@JadeOfMaar - Endurance Reconfig, many mod integrations and other fixes. New Plumes, etc.
Thanks go to: 
Testing: @googbo & @Dafni 
Some Re-textures and input: @xxhansonmaxx 
Re-factor of the Endurance ring to fix Lag issues and other input: @MerlinsMaster 
Config file tweaks and example Craft files: @skylon7
LICENSE: CC BY-NC 4.0
Endurance Part module Code License: GNU General Public License (GPL) 3.0 

Originally Created by (versions up to 0.90):
@benjee10 - Models & textures
zekew11 - Implementation
Shryq - Ranger IVA Implementation & Ranger (up to v5.0)
xxhansonmaxx - IVAs
InsanePlumber - DDS Conversion
Jasseji - KIS migration
Awesome flags by Akron!

7 minutes ago, Dafni said:

Nice one! Thank you for all your time you put into this

Thanks! And thank you for your input and time as well. All up getting this going again with the limited source files I had took in the range of 50-70 hours. Hope it was worth it and lots of people enjoy!

3 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Thanks! And thank you for your input and time as well. All up getting this going again with the limited source files I had took in the range of 50-70 hours. Hope it was worth it and lots of people enjoy!

Thanks from me as well! For future versions, could you maybe give the viper legs as well?

8 minutes ago, steelthunder said:

Can anyone be a dear and supply me with .craft files of the Endurance Ring already built? I prefered older versions of the mod where the thing was a solid object and you only put in the engines.

New craft files will need to be built by someone (if anyone is so inclined) otherwise I'll get around to it. DON'T try to use craft files from previous versions of this mod. They either won't work, break, do really strange stuff.

7 minutes ago, Dafni said:

Do you guys also get a slightly forward tilted thrust vector on the Rangers VTOL engine?

Maybe slightly... It needs a tweak in the next version. But it's a lot better than before, previous version it just flipped straight over.

oh and if anyone is trying to view my OP on an iPhone/mobile/tablet - yeah something went screwy when I created it and the word wrap is broken... I've tried about 5 times to fix it but I've given up. Put that one down to the glitchy new forums.

Minor bug report: I can't seem to pickup the Ranger Docking Port again once I drag it into the VAB. Been clicking on the thing for about 5 minutes straight from every angle and direction and it won't move/register.

Suggestions?

(the bigger docking port works fine)

25 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

Minor bug report: I can't seem to pickup the Ranger Docking Port again once I drag it into the VAB. Been clicking on the thing for about 5 minutes straight from every angle and direction and it won't move/register.

Suggestions?

(the bigger docking port works fine)

Just confirmed.. this is a bug. I missed the collider on this part.
I'll do a fix today some time.

3 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Just confirmed.. this is a bug. I missed the collider on this part.
I'll do a fix today some time.

Ready for bug squashing? :P

anyways, yes, there seem to be no colliders on the docking port. Also, I've experienced problems with the RCS for the ranger, lander and viper. It doesn't look like the Endurance itself has a problem, but you can check just in case. The RCS thrust seems to fire out of nowhere (Not aligned with RCS ports), and I can't use them correctly to do rendezvous and dock with the Endurance. This is all of the problems I've encountered so far.

59 minutes ago, TheYelpfulCast said:

Ready for bug squashing? :P

anyways, yes, there seem to be no colliders on the docking port. Also, I've experienced problems with the RCS for the ranger, lander and viper. It doesn't look like the Endurance itself has a problem, but you can check just in case. The RCS thrust seems to fire out of nowhere (Not aligned with RCS ports), and I can't use them correctly to do rendezvous and dock with the Endurance. This is all of the problems I've encountered so far.

The docking port definitely is missing a collider, I checked it this morning and I've fixed it already, but not going to release another version day 1 just with that one fix.
I'll check the RCS but I was pretty sure I checked that on the ranger lander and viper.

@JPLRepo I have another bug for ya. The landing gear on the ranger is not functioning. Works in the SPH / VAB but not in flight. Also the gear falls through the runway (may be another collider issue)

Also the throttle response on the ranger main engines is super slow. Floor it and it takes about 4 seconds to get full throttle not sure if this was deliberate as the engines are super powerful. And it looks like you already had a report of RCS issues but I didn't see the (J) (L) keys do nothing on the ranger for docking control. Otherwise everything looks great! Thank you for taking the time to resurrect this. Interstellar was a great movie!

11 minutes ago, V8jester said:

@JPLRepo I have another bug for ya. The landing gear on the ranger is not functioning. Works in the SPH / VAB but not in flight. Also the gear falls through the runway (may be another collider issue)

Also the throttle response on the ranger main engines is super slow. Floor it and it takes about 4 seconds to get full throttle not sure if this was deliberate as the engines are super powerful. And it looks like you already had a report of RCS issues but I didn't see the (J) (L) keys do nothing on the ranger for docking control. Otherwise everything looks great! Thank you for taking the time to resurrect this. Interstellar was a great movie!

Ah yes, I've had this as well. Thanks.

23 minutes ago, V8jester said:

Thanks. I'll check the RCS and engines for the ranger and RCS on the lander and viper.
The legs on the Ranger are an issue.. see the Future plans section in the OP. I'll see what I can do without spending too much time on them given KSP 1.1 will mean they will have to be totally re-done again anyway. I noticed the animation for the legs the way it is currently setup has a delay, so try toggling it and wait a few seconds... then try it a couple more times, it eventually works.
The gear through the runway is because they are not proper landing legs/wheels.

13 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

Thanks. I'll check the RCS and engines for the ranger and RCS on the lander and viper.
The legs on the Ranger are an issue.. see the Future plans section in the OP. I'll see what I can do without spending too much time on them given KSP 1.1 will mean they will have to be totally re-done again anyway. I noticed the animation for the legs the way it is currently setup has a delay, so try toggling it and wait a few seconds... then try it a couple more times, it eventually works.
The gear through the runway is because they are not proper landing legs/wheels.

Sounds good. And I agree, don't go crazy with fixes as you said 1.1 will be the bane of every modders existence for a while. We are all looking forward to, and dreading it at the same time.

11 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

. But it's a lot better than before, previous version it just flipped straight over.

I have to disagree here. Yes, the previous version flipped over without SAS engaged, but SAS could fix that. In the current version it just starts to fly backwards, and SAS cant fix that. So no, I think it was better before and it should be fixed. In this setup it is very hard to hover, and with the previous version I could easily fly through all the tunnels at the KSC and land wherever I wanted, almost impossible with the current version.

For those who are brave enough (know what they are doing) you can get a fixed Ranger Docking port and Fixed Lander RCS ports here.
Take the rangerDock.mu and landerbody.mu and put into /GameData/Endurance/Assets folder replacing the two existing files. 

Ran out of time to do the Ranger today...