[1.12.X] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.6.15 [28. April 2022]

Nils277

Hi there. Love the mod!

Looks great, easy to use. :)

I have had a little trouble with the K & K Planetary Central Hub.

I'm running 1.05 with only this mod and Mechjeb. I have a base on Minmus.

Whenever I have a Hub landed (even just off the runway at KSP) any new modules (Science, Hab or Greenhouse) that I get within 2.5km of the Hub lose focus. That is, the focus shifts to the Hub. I still have control of the new module, I just can't see it. 

When I'm landing a new module and the focus switches, I can not toggle back to the new module as it is moving. Generally making it crash. If I land far enough away. I can drive to the Hub. When I get to 2.5km, the focus switches to the Hub again.

I have several modules made up. A Hab, the Science module and the Greenhouse. If I launch these first and then bring in the Hub, everything works normally.

Any suggestions?

Space-Monkey

11 minutes ago, Space-Monkey said:

Hi there. Love the mod!

Whenever I have a Hub landed (even just off the runway at KSP) any new modules (Science, Hab or Greenhouse) that I get within 2.5km of the Hub lose focus. That is, the focus shifts to the Hub. I still have control of the new module, I just can't see it. 

When I'm landing a new module and the focus switches, I can not toggle back to the new module as it is moving. Generally making it crash. If I land far enough away. I can drive to the Hub. When I get to 2.5km, the focus switches to the Hub again.

I have several modules made up. A Hab, the Science module and the Greenhouse. If I launch these first and then bring in the Hub, everything works normally.

Any suggestions?

Space-Monkey

I can confirm behavior my lander dissapears always between 1500-1230 meters.  (it is actually camera losing focus) And it reappears after it either lands ( mechjeb) or crashes (actually, i panned out and was able to spot the lander and return to it). Although I do not have the science junior Kbps module I do have the stock science junior on the base. (no science module installed.) I don't think the hub is the issue, had the same issue on a base with a self built hub.

12 hours ago, BigJammy said:

Hey @Nils277! Quick question: I'm trying to build a base only with your mod parts, and to do so I'm adapting your containers to work with ExtraPlanetary Launchpad resources (MetalOre, Metal and Rocket Parts). Is there an easy way to change their texture color? I was thinking about using the K&K Ore Container as model base and just change it from black to white/red/blue.

You can just copy the .cfg file, the texture and the .mu file into a new folder. And edit the texture with an image editing program. You can rename the .mu file and the .cfg file. Just make sure that the model definition on the cfg is pointing to the right model. You can edit the copied image then with e.g. Gimp. Be advised, that this would cost a lot of RAM because the texture is used for all  the containers and your new one only uses a very small part of it.

There is a link in the OP (Templates to tinker with) which includes raw textures and models for container. You can edit them easily with blender and gimp and copy the part from the ore container texture into it.

Edited by Nils277

47 minutes ago, Nils277 said:

You can just copy the .cfg file, the texture and the .mu file into a new folder. And edit the texture with an image editing program. You can rename the .mu file and the .cfg file. Just make sure that the model definition on the cfg is pointing to the right model. You can edit the copied image then with e.g. Gimp. Be advised, that this would cost a lot of RAM because the texture is used for all  the containers and your new one only uses a very small part of it.

There is a link in the OP (Templates to tinker with) which includes raw textures and models for container. You can edit them easily with blender and gimp and copy the part from the ore container texture into it.

Thanks! I'll try it! :wink:

I have tried to narrow down, which part causes the strange shift of focus when reaching physics distance. But had no luck so far. Had several vessels with different combinations of the new parts but none of them has triggered the focus shift yet. :huh:

I have experience it too, but on a vessel with more than 50 parts. Is anyone able to narrow this down which part/part-part combination causes this?

This and the bug with the missing categories in the VAB/SPH are really bugging me, but both are somehow tricky to find.

Edited by Nils277

2 hours ago, Nils277 said:

I have tried to narrow down, which part causes the strange shift of focus when reaching physics distance. But had no luck so far. Had several vessels with different combinations of the new parts but none of them has triggered the focus shift yet. :huh:

I have experience it too, but on a vessel with more than 50 parts. Is anyone able to narrow this down which part/part-part combination causes this?

This and the bug with the missing categories in the VAB/SPH are really bugging me, but both are somehow tricky to find.

Nils

The base core by itself is not the issue , I have experienced the behavior with or without the core or science module. I started a new game, and here is what i found.  I am attaching pictures of vessels, to allow you to see pieces, i was using.

View post on imgur.com

1. Launched core, landed on minus using mechjeb (no loss of focus but landed long, believe mechjeb issue also 2 km of target)

2. Launched two modules, decoupled greenhouse module in minus orbit- landed on minus using mechjeb (no loss of focus but landed long, believe mechjeb issue also 2 km of target)

3. decoupled habitat module in minus orbit- attempted to land on minus using mechjeb (loss of focus at 1500 m from landing and about 1700 from base core)-crashed -loaded quick save

4 . repeated habitat module attempt- set landing target about 3km away from rest of base- attempted landing-never lost focus

5. Hope this helps an allows you to replicate and narrow down.

Edited by Rafael acevedo

On 3/13/2016 at 10:28 AM, Space-Monkey said:

Hi there. Love the mod!

Any suggestions?

Space-Monkey

I have identified the part(s) that are causing the camera to change focus. Any "deployed" module, science, hab 2 or greenhouse. I made some very basic craft and then eliminated possibilities. They can be unmanned and un-mechjebbed, with or without any other modules. As soon as you deploy the module, the camera focus will shift from any new modules that come within 2.5km. I moved a module off the runway at ksp. Launched a new module. Toggled over to the first one, quickly deployed and toggled back. Once the module had fully deployed, camera focus changed. Toggle back to the deployed module, retract, toggle back to the new launched module and focus remains. I tried all these scenarios with and without the hub. The hub makes no difference. Hope this helps! :) 

Edited by Space-Monkey
Incorrect information

1 hour ago, Space-Monkey said:

I have identified the part(s) that are causing the camera to change focus. Any "deployed" module, science, hab 2 or greenhouse. I made some very basic craft and then eliminated possibilities. They can be unmanned and un-mechjebbed, with or without any other modules. As soon as you deploy the module, the camera focus will shift from any new modules that come within 2.5km. I moved a module off the runway at ksp. Launched a new module. Toggled over to the first one, quickly deployed and toggled back. Once the module had fully deployed, camera focus changed. Toggle back to the deployed module, retract, toggle back to the new launched module and focus remains. I tried all these scenarios with and without the hub. The hub makes no difference. Hope this helps! :) 

Thank you very much! I have tried it and you are right.
It would probably have been a long time before i would have guessed that this might be the cause. I indeed have made some tweaks for the deployable parts to reduce the computational overload. Well....never change a running system :rolleyes:

Will start to work on the fix asap!

Edited by Nils277

2 hours ago, Space-Monkey said:

thanks Space-Monkey! 

I also did some testing at the Weekend but did not have the idea to differ between deployed and undeployed modules - very clever!

3 hours ago, Space-Monkey said:

Thanks for the work 

I just published an update that fixes most of the encountered issues:

v1.0.3
Enhancements:

• Reduced number of Manufaturers to two to remove unnecessary clutter

Mod Support:

• Added support for Tweak-Scale for the corridor parts
  • Enabled water containers for USI-LS

Bug Fixes:

• Fixed a shift of focus when another vessel comes in physics range and it has a deployed part
  • The Algae Farm now produces the right abounts of CO2 and Organics for TAC-LS
  • Added Exception Checks for the Editor Categories. Other mods should be visible again when an error happens.

Download:

MRispXN.pngcNJI52O.png rMKWvsX.png

Many thanks to @Space-Monkey for pointing out the origin for the focus shift!

I added a lot of exception handling and debugging to the categories to prevent possible errors that caused the custom properties from other mods to disappear.
If you still encounter this bug or have the categories from KPBS missing, please send me a log file. Currently this mod only prevents further damange for other mods(the symptoms) but without a log file i will not be able to find the origin of this problem.

Edited by Nils277

4 hours ago, Nils277 said:

I just published an update that fixes most of the encountered issues:

Download:

MRispXN.pngcNJI52O.png rMKWvsX.png

Many thanks to @Space-Monkey for pointing out the origin for the focus shift!

I added a lot of exception handling and debugging to the categories to prevent possible errors that caused the custom properties from other mods to disappear.
If you still encounter this bug or have the categories from KPBS missing, please send me a log file. Currently this mod only prevents further damange for other mods(the symptoms) but without a log file i will not be able to find the origin of this problem.

thanks a lot nils (& Space-Monkey), will download and test this evening!

Downloading and giving this version a try now, thank you so much for the TweakScale support!
Just a data point for the focus-stealing issue, I have not encountered this on my orbital station which uses two central hubs as the, well, central hub. The station also doesn't have any deployable bits (yet). Thanks again Nils.

@Nils277
All issues I had with KBPS 1.0.X until now have been resolved. All except one that is. (It's just a minor nuisance I can live with.)
For some weird reason the window lights won't stay on. Whenever I return to one of my bases all but the command module lights switch off.

14 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

@Nils277
All issues I had with KBPS 1.0.X until now have been resolved. All except one that is. (It's just a minor nuisance I can live with.)
For some weird reason the window lights won't stay on. Whenever I return to one of my bases all but the command module lights switch off.

Hmm...that might also be due to some tweaks i made on the module for the deployable parts. Will put that on the TODO list :wink:

Edited by Nils277

I've been following the development of this mod for a while and tried it before, always found it incredible-looking and very well designed but I had no RAM left for it. I recently decided to stop waiting for 1.1 and got the 64-bit workaround, installed a whole bunch of stuff including this. So here's the question: I know that USI Life Support has been supported for a long while, how is this mod balanced against it? I'd assume that since the modules are rigid and permanent looking they have more efficient recyclers, greater hab values and such than USI-LS's base package, am I right? How do they compared to MKS Lite?

9 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

@Nils277

9 hours ago, Nils277 said:

Hmm...that might also be due to some tweaks i made on the module for the deployable parts. Will put that on the TODO list :wink:

Might be this: https://github.com/Nils277/KerbalPlanetaryBaseSystems/blob/master/Sources/PlanetarySurfaceStructures/DependentLight.cs#L180

If you're restoring animation state from persistant data, don't play the animation, just set the normalizedTime

Edited by Starwaster

3 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Might be this: https://github.com/Nils277/KerbalPlanetaryBaseSystems/blob/master/Sources/PlanetarySurfaceStructures/DependentLight.cs#L180

If you're restoring animation state from persistant data, don't play the animation, just set the normalizedTime

You are right. I will do that. :wink:

5 hours ago, PickledTripod said:

I've been following the development of this mod for a while and tried it before, always found it incredible-looking and very well designed but I had no RAM left for it. I recently decided to stop waiting for 1.1 and got the 64-bit workaround, installed a whole bunch of stuff including this. So here's the question: I know that USI Life Support has been supported for a long while, how is this mod balanced against it? I'd assume that since the modules are rigid and permanent looking they have more efficient recyclers, greater hab values and such than USI-LS's base package, am I right? How do they compared to MKS Lite?

I balanced it against USI-LS as recommended by RoverDude. Compared to MKS Lite i think that both are at around the same level of support, because RoveDude used the same rules for the calculations. 

I think though, that e.g. the Central Hub provides longer habitation time simply because it is a pretty big/heavy part.

Central Hub:

• 90% Recycler that needs water.
  • 37.5 + 6 Kerbal months Habitation 
  • Hab multiplier of 1

I will soonTM add some guides to the Wiki, that explain the support for the different life support mods.

3 hours ago, Kowgan said:

@PickledTripod USI-LS already comes with a great guide for mod support and @PocketBrotector mashed together a pretty neat and balanced set of configs for USI-LS. So, I'd say it's pretty balanced right know.

This actually is not true anymore. The support for USI-LS is brought up-to-date with version 1.0.0. The package from PockedBrotector is not needed anymore for USI-LS support. It adds, as originally intended, support for UKS.

8 hours ago, JeffreyCor said:

Is there a particular reason you have a file that overrides USI-LS settings instead of just MM files for support with it? Took a while to find out why all the settings were suddenly messed up before I found it.

Adding a custom version might have been a bad idea...i will remove it :wink:

14 hours ago, Nils277 said:
18 hours ago, Kowgan said:

@PickledTripod USI-LS already comes with a great guide for mod support and @PocketBrotector mashed together a pretty neat and balanced set of configs for USI-LS. So, I'd say it's pretty balanced right know.

This actually is not true anymore. The support for USI-LS is brought up-to-date with version 1.0.0. The package from PockedBrotector is not needed anymore for USI-LS support. It adds, as originally intended, support for UKS.

Also I still need to examine the latest KPBS update and change my UKS-KPBS configs to incorporate UKS functionality in the new/updated parts... right now it probably shouldn't be used yet, as a lot of the USI-LS functionality would be duplicative of the support added to KPBS itself, with unpredictable effect.