ExoMars 2016: on its way to Mars!

Frida Space

Live stream lags and buffers all the time for me... :(

So sat in in orbit and lander is silent? Or they have telemetry from lander recorded but not transmitted or decoded?

According to:

I'd say the descent of the lander went well. Of course if it malfunctioned during the last phase, crashed or just didn't turn on when landed can be a possibility.

Edit:

Edited by bokrif
new update

Not looking very good, but not too bad either:

Now, they are waiting for Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter to try its luck with catching a signal from Schiaparelli. Unfortunately, that will take an hour or two. :(

Edit: Newbie handicap preventing me from posting directly.

Edited by Tullius

Seems like a technology demonstrator (the EDM).

I feel sorry for the people with science instruments on it if it failed. I knew a Los Alamos guy who had an instrument (GRS) on Mars Observer, and it was terrible when it was lost. The flew again (successfully), but every time that happens years are lost.

According to nzz.ch (a rather reliable swiss news site), people at the ESA control center were cheering at 18:40 CEST (about 1.5 hours ago). So they look pretty confident that the signal from Mars Express was the proof of successful landing.

The only thing that probably is still missing: In what shape is Schiaparelli? Probably good enough to send data, but how much better?

Fingers crossed. I've got to feel for the guy whose wind sensor on-board Schiaparelli is a re-run of one he had on-board Beagle 2 (as mentioned part way down http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-37700042) To lose one sensor is unfortunate. Losing two...

Edited by ElWanderer

4 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

It's been several hours.

Or an hour, whatever. We know that the landing sequence was going fine up until LOS, parachutes deployed, heat shield came off after passing through reentry, retrorockets started firing...

36 minutes ago, KAL 9000 said:

Or an hour, whatever. We know that the landing sequence was going fine up until LOS, parachutes deployed, heat shield came off after passing through reentry, retrorockets started firing...

As it says in your signature...

It was going well, until it exploded.

-Scott Manley

1 hour ago, bokrif said:

I know it was probably discussed earlier and it's a lame question but why use such a risky landing profile?

The landing profile is a rather classic one. It's been used since Viking, and most other landers since.

There aren't really many other ways to land a probe on Mars than aerobrake, chutes, and propulsive landing.

14 minutes ago, RedKraken said:

I'm starting to think that pre-positioned surface radar/receiver stations may be the only way to get good crash telemetry from mars. Ideas?

The only issue being they'll all crash trying to get there :P

Ah, finally, the day that the Schiaparelli lander will finally enter the Martian atmosphere, parachute down to the surface, and become the first ever successful European Mars lander even lau---

Hey where the &%$# did it go?

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/oct/19/esa-exomars-scientists-wait-and-hope-as-fate-of-mars-schiaparelli-lander-remains-uncertain

*Sigh*...

Curse you Kraken Mars Goblin Physics. We were so close. ;.;:mad::( (Hey look all the original emojicons are back!)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.