RSS Constellations | Solar System Discussion

Andi K.

On 4/9/2016 at 4:23 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures Since it seems like my suggestion system is up next, I would like to add some more ideas and some changes. GJ 3293 should NOT be named Euanthe. I found out that it's a moon of Jupiter. And I was going for the least used name variant! GJ 3293 should be named Aegle. In Greek mythology, Aegle was the mother of the Charities by Helios (in a few stories), and was also the name for one of the Heliades and Hesperides. Another Aegle from Greek mythology was based off of a word meaning "Brightness" or "Splendor." Basically, she's got a lot of sun-related stuff going on, so it seems logical to name a star after her.

I also have an idea for a moon of Euthymia: Cephissus. Named after a river sacred to the Charities, Cephissus would be a dusty world etched in rivers that are surrounded by brown-black flora. How about that?

Very cool! Thanks for getting into a lot of depth with your ideas. Makes my job easier.

8 hours ago, Hypercosmic said:

Hello?

Is this topic active?

Well, I'll just leave a suggestion.

I think we should keep using the formal names. It's much easier to remember than new common names, unless IAU approves the new names. Several exoplanets already have them, like Epsilon Eridani as Ran, and it's planet b as AEgir.

Binary star systems would have some problem, though.

Yes this topic is still active. I'm sorry I haven't been updating this as much as I should. It's sometimes gets hard to maintain motivation.

11 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Yes this topic is still active. I'm sorry I haven't been updating this as much as I should. It's sometimes gets hard to maintain motivation.

Notice: If you want to name an exoplanet, I have no power to stop you. It's your mod anyways.

But please put official names behind the new names. It'd be better for me than remembering unofficial names.

My planetary system suggestions:

Spoiler

Change suggestion: Tau Ceti System

Let me tell you the story. :D

In the past, Tau Ceti e was comfortably in a habitable zone. It was teemed with primordial life. As star burn hydrogen, the leftover helium cause problem: burning hydrogen is harder. They solved it with being hotter and more luminous.

Tau Ceti, too, found this problem, and solved it with being hotter. Tau Ceti e receives more and more energy, and some its water evaporated. Today, Tau Ceti e is either...

1. UNMATURED RUNAWAY GREENHOUSE EFFECT - LESS LIKELY

Description: A planet more massive than Earth with atmosphere hundreds of times thicker. With lava surface. Good source of mineral olivine.

Temperature: Likely over 800 K, up to rock melting point, which caused lava oceans. Similar to Venus in its early runaway greenhouse days.

Pressure: Likely over 100 bars.

Surface conditions: 99% not-very-viscous ferropericlase lava, with few extremely hot melting islands.

Exploration method: High temperature and pressure resistant lava-floating probes.

2. CLOUDY MOIST PLANET - MORE LIKELY

Description: Sizable portion of water in the former oceans evaporated, creating thick, high albedo clouds that covers the entire planet. Under these clouds are storms and oceans under high pressure.

Temperature: Likely about 360 K

Pressure: Likely about 2-10 bars.

Surface conditions: Global ocean/large oceans with continents. Stormy and windy (probably not windy in KSP.) Don't forget the clouds.

Exploration method: Manned missions are possible, but extremely harsh. Mostly one way trip probes.

Meanwhile, Tau Ceti f is approaching habitable zone... It is ready to be the next habitable world!

1. SNOWBALL WORLD WITH SOME SHIELD VOLCANOES - MORE LIKELY

Description: As ferropericlase is not as viscous as Terran magma, shield volcanoes are extremely common on both worlds. Majority of the planet is covered in thick water layer, surrounded by thick ice.

Temperature: Lower than 270 K, but probably not lower than 230 K

Pressure: About 2-5 bars, as the planet is way larger than Earth.

Surface conditions: Ice plains, with some craters and shield volcanoes.

Exploration method: Manned missions possible.

2. SLUSHBALL WORLD - LIKELY

Description: If the planet's equator temperature raise higher than 280 K, water starts to melt. This created a gigantic band of equatorial ocean. If life existed here, probably large amount of methane/carbon dioxide will be released, warming the planet further.

Temmierature: Around 270 K

Pressure: About 3-7 bars

Surface conditions: Icy poles, with thin sheet of ice no thicker than 1 km in temperate regions, and equatorial band of ocean. Under the ice sheet is a global subsurface ocean.

Exploration method: Manned missions possible. Please avoid landing in the equatorial ocean and get eaten by native life.

About Tau Ceti d: Either a mature runaway greenhouse planet (similar to Venus: cooler surface temperature than Tau Ceti e model #1 and with mineral olivine scattered around the surface. More likely.) Or a desert planet (less likely) with higher surface pressure than Earth.

Change suggestion: HD 10180 System

HD 10180 g: Would be Sudarsky type II planet. It has white water clouds, and blue from Rayleigh scattering. 

HD 10180 h: Maybe a white planet with a bit pink band of clouds? I like a bit of ammonia color.

Other objects: Look at Sudarsky's gas giant classification.

New star systems: Potentially habitable planets system, nearby planetary systems, interesting planetary systems (like Kepler-36 system or Kepler-37 system.)

Presented system: Rearrangement of the planets to match the real thing (if possible.)

Edited by Hypercosmic

• 1 month later...

I think it should be a good idea to add at least one transiting exoplanet system where there are good indications of what the masses of the planets are. Some of these systems would be like Kepler-62, Kepler-186, and Kepler-37.

On 3/14/2016 at 5:43 PM, HoloYolo said:

Alpha Centauri? Closest one yet. 

Other than Proxima Centauri, which is slightly closer.

As for the OP, and "more?" - how about Epsilon Eridani, Epsilon Indi, and Wolf 359?

On 6/27/2016 at 4:19 PM, panarchist said:

Other than Proxima Centauri, which is slightly closer.

As for the OP, and "more?" - how about Epsilon Eridani, Epsilon Indi, and Wolf 359?

Oooh I like epsilon eridani. And it's in the same constellation as one of the stars that are already in the mod.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On March 14, 2016 at 7:24 PM, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Planned Star Systems

• 55 Cancri
  • PSR B1257+12 (Lich)

Umm...I was planning to add both of those systems into IA-Revived. Lich would be coming in version 1.1 of the mod. However, I may not do 55 Cancri (Copernicus), even though I have tons of ideas for the system.

1 hour ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Umm...I was planning to add both of those systems into IA-Revived. Lich would be coming in version 1.1 of the mod. However, I may not do 55 Cancri (Copernicus), even though I have tons of ideas for the system.

I'll let you do Lich, but I'd really like to do Copernicus. I want to do as many star systems as I can that have memorable, original names.

On 10/16/2016 at 7:26 PM, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

I'll let you do Lich, but I'd really like to do Copernicus. I want to do as many star systems as I can that have memorable, original names.

Okay. How about this for a bit of Hot Jupiter inspiration?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3849606/Cloudy-nights-sunny-days-high-2-400F-Nasa-reveals-life-distant-hot-Jupiters-like.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

The work these professional exoplaneteers do still astounds me even today. 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures Hey, can you confirm which star systems that currently lack habitable planets will have habitable moons added in? E.g, the HD star system? As you know I'm planning an interstellar colonization mission with a bunch of people, I need to know how much ARC's have to be launched, so I know how much has to be built

HD 10180, Gliese 3293, 82 G. Eridani, Wolf 1061.

10 minutes ago, electricpants said:

You should make Proxima Centauri orbit Alpha Centauri.

It's been confirmed not too long ago that Proxima Centauri does in fact orbit Alpha Centauri. pOjq0e1.png

Alright, I'll fix that up.

3 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

Gleise 3283, 82. Eridani and Wolf 1061 actually have habitable planets, you didn't know? I landed on them all and took of my helmet with KAS/KIS

They all have oxygen but that doesn't mean they are habitable.

24 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

They all have oxygen but that doesn't mean they are habitable.

Wolf 1061c is a waterworld, but you can still land on it's ice caps.

And @The-Doctor said he landed on all these planets (including Wolf 1061c) and took off the Kerbals' helmets off, so Wolf 1061c has oxygen in it's atmosphere.

So it's habitable. L3bpQyb.png

Just now, electricpants said:

Wolf 1061c is a waterworld, but you can still land on it's ice caps.

And @The-Doctor said he landed on all these planets (including Wolf 1061c) and took off the Kerbals' helmets off, so Wolf 1061c has oxygen in it's atmosphere.

So it's habitable. L3bpQyb.png

Not all the worlds lol, just the Primary Colonial Targets [PCT's]

Wolf1061d 

TauCeti F

Proxima B

82.G Eridani D - No Oxygen

Kepler - 1229 B

Just now, The-Doctor said:

Doesn't matter, those can be mined, it's the best in the Wolf system, I nicknamed it Coyote

Still, you should at least set up a few bases on 1061c, so you could send rockets from there to 1061d for mining.

Because those Kerbals won't live very long without water. EH3V2cQ.png

3 minutes ago, electricpants said:

Still, you should at least set up a few bases on 1061c, so you could send rockets from there to 1061d for mining.

Because those Kerbals won't live very long without water. EH3V2cQ.png

Water can be mined. Is 1061c any good? Is it more Earthlike? Also the others will be mined

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.