BTW I was reconfiguring the stars in this mod to have real-life distances (instead of the 1/10 scale that you did), and I can't seem to find any real config file for the GJ 570 System. Can you help me out here?

2 hours ago, Scotskerb said:

Not that I'm aware.

However, they do not orbit our sun, either. The static model would still be more accurate than the heliocentric model.

Either way, its going to make my job a lot harder. Using a heliocentric model makes it actually possible to have my stars positioned exactly where they are in real life.

1 hour ago, Scotskerb said:

BTW I was reconfiguring the stars in this mod to have real-life distances (instead of the 1/10 scale that you did), and I can't seem to find any real config file for the GJ 570 System. Can you help me out here?

Haven't added the GJ 570 system. The txt files you see there are placeholders. Also, do not change the distance to be real life scale. You'll summon the kraken. :D

1 minute ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Either way, its going to make my job a lot harder. Using a heliocentric model makes it actually possible to have my stars positioned exactly where they are in real life.

I suppose that makes sense.

Haven't added the GJ 570 system. The txt files you see there are placeholders. Also, do not change the distance to be real life scale. You'll summon the kraken. :D

Have you tested this?

Just now, Scotskerb said:

I'd still like to test it myself.

You can if you want. If you launch a vessel and then go to the map view and zoom out far enough, your vessel will spontaneously explode.

You can if you want. If you launch a vessel and then go to the map view and zoom out far enough, your vessel will spontaneously explode.

I see. And you've tested this on various computers?

5 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

No, but It doesn't seem like something that would have to do with my computer.

Well, I'm going to test it. If it goes well, do you mind if I post the reconfigured version up here?

Edited by Scotskerb
Forgot quote

11 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

perfectly circular orbits

No, there are stars that probably have very high eccentricities, not saying they orbit perfectly circular (I'll try to look up some).

I remembered something about ''stars orbit the milky way's center at about the same speeds''. Guess I was wrong XD

On 4/16/2017 at 11:16 AM, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

So you are telling me that stars orbit in perfectly circular orbits at the exact same orbital velocity, yet they have different semi-major axes? I don't believe that. Even assuming that they have the same orbital velocity, all stars in the milky way would have to orbit perfectly circular in order for there to be no relative motion going on, and stars don't orbit perfectly circular.

Even if the orbits were all perfectly circular, there would be relative motion. Stars closer to the galactic core would move faster, and thus pull ahead of stars father out.

On 2017/4/10 at 2:47 AM, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Yeah I know. Try using Release 2 of Kopernicus instead.

Oh yeah I need to work on that. RSSVE doesn't have proper EVE cloud integration for Scatterer (that's why cloud integration is disabled in regular RSSVE and you don't see that problem). I'll fix that up soon.

I've tried release 2/3/4/5 of kopernicus. None of which works

eso1712a.jpg

Drew Ex Machina's results on LHS 1140b is OUT!

"The initial impression is that LHS 1140b has fairly good prospects of being potentially habitable since it is a rocky planet which orbits inside of the HZ of its parent star. However, this generally good assessment comes with the usual caveats about the potential habitability of any exoplanet orbiting a red dwarf. There have been a fair number of predictions made over the decades about various proposed mechanisms that could desiccate such exoplanets, strip them of their atmospheres, irradiate their surfaces from flares and so on – processes which could compromise the habitability of such worlds. There have been yet other predictions published in the peer-reviewed literature which suggest these might not be major impediments to potential habitability especially for larger exoplanets (which are expected to form secondary atmospheres later) and exoplanets in larger orbits (which are farther away from damaging flares and other effects of stellar activity).

The current observations of LHS 1140b can not exclude the possibility that LHS 1140b has been stripped of all of its volatiles leaving it a cold, desert planet devoid of water or even a substantial atmosphere. There are currently observations being made with NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope to determine the current UV flux of LHS 1140 – data that can help to assess the potential habitability of LHS 1140b today. However, the low density of the recently discovered TRAPPIST-1f implies that it has held onto its volatiles despite close orbit around ultracool dwarf (see “Habitable Planet Reality Check: The Seven Planets of TRAPPIST-1”). Likewise, the detection of water vapor in the very hot atmosphere of GJ 1132b (a super-Earth size exoplanet discovered in 2015 using MEarth-South) also suggests that exoplanets orbiting red dwarf stars can retain their water and other volatiles over time raising hopes that LHS 1140b has done so as well. Only more observations of this class of exoplanets to characterize them and their atmospheres will provide the data needed to confirm or refute these sometimes contradictory predictions being made. Fortunately, LHS 1140b is an ideal target for exactly these sorts of studies."

Edited by Hypercosmic

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:51 AM, Sahadara said:

Even if the orbits were all perfectly circular, there would be relative motion. Stars closer to the galactic core would move faster, and thus pull ahead of stars father out.

I said that the orbits would have to be perfectly circular, and orbit at the same velocity despite having different semi-major axes in order for there to be no relative motion.

What's the general opinion regarding putting moons around some of these planets? I know that we don't know of any exomoons, but I think it'd be reasonable to take a bit of artistic license and add some realistic moons. Given how difficult it is even to detect planets with our current technology, I think the prospect of discovering exomoons with any confidence is a long way off, unless some breakthrough in telescope tech is made. As such, I think the fun that could be had with some moons, especially of gas giants (Pandora anyone?) outweighs the need to have all bodies be real ones. At least, that's my opinion. Thoughts?

On 5/1/2017 at 10:08 PM, Sahadara said:

-snip- Thoughts?

Well, AndrewDrawsPretyPictures is trying to keep it as realistic and as close to what we currently know as possible, but since there are a few unconfirmed exomoons (3 in fact), if any are around planets he/she's added in, then it's likely it'll be added.

On 5/1/2017 at 10:08 PM, Sahadara said:

What's the general opinion regarding putting moons around some of these planets? I know that we don't know of any exomoons, but I think it'd be reasonable to take a bit of artistic license and add some realistic moons. Given how difficult it is even to detect planets with our current technology, I think the prospect of discovering exomoons with any confidence is a long way off, unless some breakthrough in telescope tech is made. As such, I think the fun that could be had with some moons, especially of gas giants (Pandora anyone?) outweighs the need to have all bodies be real ones. At least, that's my opinion. Thoughts?

Might create an add-on for Constellations that adds maybe a dozen or so exomoons for those who want them.

This is super interesting and very tempting. Could you do like Kerbol system and divide the systems into different packs so that people could choose which star systems we want included? That way our pcs don't die 

On 3/11/2017 at 4:23 AM, FreeThinker said:

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures  Please take into account they are most likely  all gravitational locked with the star

@illectro Made a great video about it, perhaps he can help

what's the name of the pic you used with Planet Hop on the cover?