@FreeThinker @Spaceception The problem with making tidally locked planets is that their orbital inclination in KSP has to be zero. This is because KSP does not allow for axial tilt. However, because we observed the transits of the planets, TRAPPIST-1's planets have orbital inclinations very close to 90 degrees. You can see the problem. Either I have the right orbital inclinations but the planets aren't tidally locked, or I have an incorrect orbital inclination (0 degrees) and the planets are tidally locked

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

4 hours ago, Spaceception said:

At their closest approaches, they're only a few Earth-Moon distances from each other, so they can't have Moons, at least no large ones so that would only work if the planets were farther apart, and orbited a larger star.

But since the planets orbit so close, it has similar effects.

Wouldn't that make the planets orbit unstable?

3 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

@FreeThinker @Spaceception The problem with making tidally locked planets is that their orbital inclination in KSP has to be zero. This is because KSP does not allow for axial tilt. However, because we observed the transits of the planets, TRAPPIST-1's planets have orbital inclinations very close to 90 degrees. You can see the problem. Either I have the right orbital inclinations but the planets aren't tidally locked, or I have an incorrect orbital inclination (0 degrees) and the planets are tidally locked.

Perhaps axial tilt could be achieved by making it orbit a center of gravity

Edited by FreeThinker

6 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

I'm pretty sure OPM tilt only changes the texture of Urlum such that it looks titled. I'm also not sure if Sigma Binary can actually tilt bodies either. However, I have thought about making all of the planets orbit the center of gravity, so that the stars will actually wobble like in real life.

11 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

No, they have orbital resonances, like the Moons of Jupiter, which makes the orbits stable, that's the only reason why they can be so close to each other, otherwise you'd have a massive Asteroid belt on your hands.

4 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

I'm pretty sure OPM tilt only changes the texture of Urlum such that it looks titled. I'm also not sure if Sigma Binary can actually tilt bodies either. However, I have thought about making all of the planets orbit the center of gravity, so that the stars will actually wobble like in real life.

Well  if a planet can follow an highly tilted tiny orbit, the planet would appear to tilt. It's a bit of a hack but it might work

Edited by FreeThinker

Just now, FreeThinker said:

Well  if a planet can follow an highly tilted tiny orbit, the planet would appear to tilt. It's a bit of a hack but it might work

I'll try it. I'm getting a little distracted by Victoria 2 right now. :P

On 3/11/2017 at 8:20 PM, FreeThinker said:

nope

axial tilt is not possible in ksp at the moment, planets always rotate around the vertical axis which means even if you tilt the orbit 90° the planet will still rotate in the same way it rotates at 0° inclination

(with the difference that the rotation axis will lie on the orbital plane in that case)

the only way to achieve axial "tilt" is to incline the orbits of all planets in the solar system like RSS does, but even that doesn't look very good and forces the same "axial tilt" on all planets.

my take on the OPM Tilt is a cheat based on the fact that I stop the rotation of those bodies and rotate their textures/terrain 90°

the final result is not a good representation of the axial tilt, but for some people Urlum with no axial tilt is as bad as Urlum with axial tilt but no rotation, which means it's a valid alternative for them.

OMG finally I managed to merge the RSS with stock kerbol system(even doing this nearly melted my RAM), the steps are more complicated, took me around 1 hour to merge them all.

To merge:1, change"@Kopernicus:FOR[RealSolarSystem]"into"@Kopernicus:FOR[Kopernicus]"            2, change to name inside the Body section(especially for the sun, I changed it into Realsun), don't change the template                     3, change "Center body name = Sun" and "referenceBody = Sun" into the name that you changed into, for example "referenceBody = RealSun"                                       4, for earth, change the "isHomeWorld = true" into "isHomeWorld = false" just in case                                   5, Delete the cache file if it is necessay                               6, change the number after "flightGlobalsIndex"                             7, change the sun again, if you don't want to replace the stock sun, you need to find another star to "exchange", for example, pick a star that is not finished(for example Trappiest), them copy most of the data from the trappiest config file into the sun config file                           8, put the changed planets into a single folder(also the sun)                                 9, install the RSS texture                10, install the folder                                         11, minor fixes(change the planets' description, for earth I changed it into "a whole new world with another kind of civilization, good place for kerbals to invade:)")                 12, bug fixes(huge amout of them, they seemed damage the EVE effect)

in this way we can get most of the planets and the star ready, but I am not sure if many other features of RSS might get lost, also it might damage other mods, so I will test it later(hope my computer won't explode:))

I have a idea/question that i got from watching Tyler Raiz's last episode (I don't watch the livestreams).

Is it posible to use a star to benifitialy sling shot to another star in KSP and this mod.

I know that you have/had stars with no planets around them. If the sling shot was posible then it would give those stars a "reason to be thier".

Yes i know to make it benifitial you might have to put the stars where they are not but i am just kind of wondering if it was posible in KSP and benifitial in this mod.

2 hours ago, Juanri17 2.0 said:

I have a idea/question that i got from watching Tyler Raiz's last episode (I don't watch the livestreams).

Is it posible to use a star to benifitialy sling shot to another star in KSP and this mod.

I know that you have/had stars with no planets around them. If the sling shot was posible then it would give those stars a "reason to be thier".

Yes i know to make it benifitial you might have to put the stars where they are not but i am just kind of wondering if it was posible in KSP and benifitial in this mod.

This is an interesting idea. However, I'm not completely sure that it would work. You would have to have a verryyyy sizable star or even a black hole in order to slingshot yourself at a significant percentage of the speed of light. Hey that's an idea. What if I added some black holes scattered throughout that you can't actually see? It could be used as a method of slingshotting,  as well as act as a gravitational obstacle in interstellar travel.

1 hour ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

This is an interesting idea. However, I'm not completely sure that it would work. You would have to have a verryyyy sizable star or even a black hole in order to slingshot yourself at a significant percentage of the speed of light. Hey that's an idea. What if I added some black holes scattered throughout that you can't actually see? It could be used as a method of slingshotting,  as well as act as a gravitational obstacle in interstellar travel.

That would be cool but the only bad thing is that it might not be accurate and if it is then they might be useless but it might br cool.

Although does KSP calculate that like make it go faster like with voyager 2 as it was escaping the solar system it was going faster and faster sling shoting with each planet.

1 hour ago, Juanri17 2.0 said:

That would be cool but the only bad thing is that it might not be accurate and if it is then they might be useless but it might br cool.

Although does KSP calculate that like make it go faster like with voyager 2 as it was escaping the solar system it was going faster and faster sling shoting with each planet.

Yeah it is definitely something KSP does. People frequently (especially in RSS) slingshot from planet to planet to minimize fuel usage, increasing the speed of the spacecraft each flyby.

4 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Yeah it is definitely something KSP does. People frequently (especially in RSS) slingshot from planet to planet to minimize fuel usage, increasing the speed of the spacecraft each flyby.

Ohh

Well then in that case then it would be a cool idea to add black holes and stuff like that in to the mod.

Edited by Juanri17 2.0

Oh yes plus, if you don't want to launch from earth, delete the SpaceCenter section in the earth config, also, adding earth seemed lagging sometimes (looks weird from the space center, or takes a long time loading the saves), part because of its kerbin template, it would go better if its template is changed into Laythe, but however in this way the terrain won't generate as normal(rendered as ground on map view, but actually generated as oceans).

Caches seemed lagging too, sometimes it may take forever to open a save. Delete them would help, but that may effect some other things.

Well I will keep testing, even my computer seems not happy(only 4GB of RAM for over 67 mods:)), as well as the kerbals(most of their ships will explode in the atomsphere due to overheat because they are designed to hold 2000~3500K, but the reentry speed of real planets are actually >7000m/s and cause over 5000~6000K in the game even without Deadly-Reentry:))

Also I think I found a little problem about the Wolf1061b, I'm not sure why, but sometimes it will suddenly disappear in the view on a certain height and re-appear after falling, it might have some problems with EVE or scatter, but I know that there is a limit of height that the game actually change from rendering planet textures to rendering the actuall terrain(especially for RSS and RSS constellations), so there might be some problem between these two stages, but anyway, this is a great mod, thanks for making it:).

I was wondering about how to make planet mods in Kerbal. Is it possibly just to copy one of the planet files in constellation and then just the texture and parameters or is it more complicated. I'm not making my own mod I just want to customize my solar system.

4 hours ago, Starcow19 said:

I was wondering about how to make planet mods in Kerbal. Is it possibly just to copy one of the planet files in constellation and then just the texture and parameters or is it more complicated. I'm not making my own mod I just want to customize my solar system.

Yeah, basically. As long as you don't turn it into your own mod it's completely okay.

17 hours ago, Zang Jay said:

Oh yes plus, if you don't want to launch from earth, delete the SpaceCenter section in the earth config, also, adding earth seemed lagging sometimes (looks weird from the space center, or takes a long time loading the saves), part because of its kerbin template, it would go better if its template is changed into Laythe, but however in this way the terrain won't generate as normal(rendered as ground on map view, but actually generated as oceans).

Caches seemed lagging too, sometimes it may take forever to open a save. Delete them would help, but that may effect some other things.

Well I will keep testing, even my computer seems not happy(only 4GB of RAM for over 67 mods:)), as well as the kerbals(most of their ships will explode in the atomsphere due to overheat because they are designed to hold 2000~3500K, but the reentry speed of real planets are actually >7000m/s and cause over 5000~6000K in the game even without Deadly-Reentry:))

Also I think I found a little problem about the Wolf1061b, I'm not sure why, but sometimes it will suddenly disappear in the view on a certain height and re-appear after falling, it might have some problems with EVE or scatter, but I know that there is a limit of height that the game actually change from rendering planet textures to rendering the actuall terrain(especially for RSS and RSS constellations), so there might be some problem between these two stages, but anyway, this is a great mod, thanks for making it:).

Nice! Make sure to post any progress you make on your project here, or on your own thread. As for the problem with Wolf 1061 b, I'll look into it. It probably has something to do with what you are talking about.

Well still testing merged RSS, time warp seems a little bit glichy, but I think it's fine.The planets seems "teleport" or move in a strange speed in the map view while time warping(if they really teleported not only in the map view but also in the flight view and can crash ships, I'd like to call Danny:D).

Merged RSS seems not working well with RSSVE or RSSVE-Lite, maybe it's because that I changed some of the planets'names to stablize them:), I will test it later. Also the solution for the earth was cleared. The template could be Kerbin, but the name of the planet also the cache may need some change(I switched the name into RSSEarth and deleted the cache)

Resource config is one of the biggest problems now. Sometimes resources may take forever to generate in a new or old save.

Warning: Back up the saves! It seems teleport the ship which is landed on one planet to another after adding new planets in.

Ok after changing the names in the RSSVE-lite config, RSSVE-Lite could work with the stock system(and stock environmental visual enhancement and scatterer!):)

While RSSVE still don't work really well, with RSSVE the real scaled planets have perfect atomsphere and clouds, but the stock planets would lost ALL of their atomsphere shaders:(. So sadly after the test the real scaled planets can't get their sactterer effect from RSSVE

now, but I will keep work on it.

8 hours ago, Hypercosmic said:

Would be nice to take a note that Gliese 667 Cc is likely molten due to tidal forces on this planet being thousands of times stronger than Earth.

1. The tidal forces experienced GJ 667 Cc are not thousands of times stronger than Earth but more like hundreds of times stronger.

2. Just because the tidal forces are really strong doesn't mean the entire surface is going to be molten. Maybe this just means that GJ 667 Cc has much more volcanos compared to Earth, or that it has a much stronger magnetic field, or that earthquakes (exoquakes?) are more common place and more aggressive.

That being said, I'll probably add several volcanos that can be seen on the night side of GJ 667 Cc, to make the planet more interesting and more realistic.

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures BIG NEWS! BIG NEWS!

There are NINE NEW RED DWARF PLANETS! A total of five systems, with three extra known planets. Guess what system has a fourth planet? GJ 3293! Planet E orbits about every 13.25 days with 3.28 Earth masses. The other three planets now have slightly different but more precise orbital and physical parameters. Some screenshots in the spoiler if you want some creative juices.

Spoiler

w2iELG6.jpg

GJ 3293c

EiL5n3Q.jpg

GJ 3293b

hHDzFY2.jpg

GJ 3293d (the moon is just for shows)

u9XeJvO.jpg

GJ 3293e

Link: http://imgur.com/gallery/R75eg

Here's the published research paper if you want to take a read: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1703.05386.pdf