UPDATE FOR CONSTELLATIONS (January 24, 2017)

Very happy that I have finally been able to release this version of Constellations! The most notable change is Scatterer support. With the newest version of Scatterer, @blackrack made it possible for scatterer effects to be added to planets around other stars. Because of this, I have been able to greatly improve the visual quality of this mod, which is only a good thing. However, I have been experiencing some issues with scatterer oceans, so I simply disabled it as to avoid those issues. Here is everything that has been added/changed:

• Scatterer support!
  • More PQS tweaks
  • Tweaked temperature and pressure curves to be more accurate
  • Tweaked stellar SOIs
  • Added the following stars and planets
    • 61 Cygni
    • 40 Eridani
    • 82 G. Eridani
    • 82 G. Eridani b
    • Epsilon Eridani
  • Packaged CVO with Constellations
  • Tweaked CVO detail textures

Also, because scatterer has some problems with celestial bodies have spaces in their names, I had to remove all spaces from bodies that scatterer would be messing with. In my eyes, that is a small price to pay in order to get scatterer's beautiful effects.

25 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

UPDATE FOR CONSTELLATIONS (January 24, 2017)

Very happy that I have finally been able to release this version of Constellations! The most notable change is Scatterer support. With the newest version of Scatterer, @blackrack made it possible for scatterer effects to be added to planets around other stars. Because of this, I have been able to greatly improve the visual quality of this mod, which is only a good thing. However, I have been experiencing some issues with scatterer oceans, so I simply disabled it as to avoid those issues. Here is everything that has been added/changed:

• Scatterer support!
  • More PQS tweaks
  • Tweaked temperature and pressure curves to be more accurate
  • Tweaked stellar SOIs
  • Added the following stars and planets
    • 61 Cygni
    • 40 Eridani
    • 82 G. Eridani
    • 82 G. Eridani b
    • Epsilon Eridani
  • Packaged CVO with Constellations
  • Tweaked CVO detail textures

Also, because scatterer has some problems with celestial bodies have spaces in their names, I had to remove all spaces from bodies that scatterer would be messing with. In my eyes, that is a small price to pay in order to get scatterer's beautiful effects.

What seems to be the issue with the oceans?

18 minutes ago, blackrack said:

What seems to be the issue with the oceans?

They are just gone. Completely gone. The oceans don't even appear at all. Maybe I made a silly mistake like before? :D

21 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

I'm not sure what you mean by the methane not being correctly defined. Incorrectly defined in what way?

Just open up Methane.cfg in Constellations\PATCHES\Constellations_CRP folder and you will see what I mean, (tip, look at ResourceName)

2 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Just open up Methane.cfg in Constellations\PATCHES\Constellations_CRP folder and you will see what I mean, (tip, look at ResourceName)

Oooh I see what you are saying. I'll change that.

22 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

I think it is important to note, I'm more focusing on the planets from a far, as most people will likely not even be able to land on Proxima Centauri as it would require a pretty hefty spacecraft. Once @amarius1 gets the time, things relating to the surface will be sorted out hopefully.

Well I disagree with that logic. Proxima Centauri is the closes interstellar planet we know can land on, it is therefore logical that player will attempt to land on this planet first before any other start are visited (at least I did). It is therefore logical this planet get a little more love than other planets.

Just now, FreeThinker said:

Well I disagree with that logic. Proxima Centauri is the closes interstellar planet we know can land on, it is therefore logical that player will attempt to land on this planet first before any other start are visited (at least I did). It is therefore logical this planet get a little more love than other planets.

Maybe I should've worded that differently. It will take a while for people to land on Proxima Centauri b. Also, I am minimally skilled in PQS modding, that is why I requested the aid of @amarius1 and is partly why I have been focusing on planets when viewed from space, because I am much more skilled in that area. I guess what I could do for the next update for Constellations (which likely won't come for some time because I am going to be focusing on Extrasolar for a while) is focus all of my time and energy to make Proxima Centauri b look as amazing as possible (add trees, custom ground textures, biomes, science defs, etc.). Thinking about it more, I think you are probably right :).

5 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

I propose the following is posted on the main page:

There already is one entry

Oh wow this is really cool. Didn't even know this existed. I will add this to the main page.

5 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Big improvement, what about the surface?

Yes the surface is getting a lot of improvement as well. Will post some screenshots in the coming days. I'm tweaking around with scatterer colors as well. Did some research on the color of alien skies and such. Around a star like Proxima Centauri, its predicted that a planet with an Earth-like atmosphere would have pale yellow skies. These are only predictions, of course.

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

On 3-2-2017 at 7:48 PM, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Yes the surface is getting a lot of improvement as well. Will post some screenshots in the coming days. I'm tweaking around with scatterer colors as well. Did some research on the color of alien skies and such. Around a star like Proxima Centauri, its predicted that a planet with an Earth-like atmosphere would have pale yellow skies. These are only predictions, of course.

Note on that, They would not be yellow, but pale blue/black due to the star emitting less blue, a red dwarf would look orange/white with a green aura around it and stars would be visible during daytime.

1 hour ago, StarCrusher96 said:

Note on that, They would not be yellow, but pale blue/black due to the star emitting less blue, a red dwarf would look orange/white with a green aura around it and stars would be visible during daytime.

Hmm. Not from what I read. From what I read, skies would appear blue under sun-like stars, pale blue under K-type stars, white under red dwarf stars at a temperature of around 3,300 K, and yellow, orange and red under stars below 3,300 K. Here is my source.

You would be correct in saying that the sky would be significantly darker due to Proxima Centauri's stellar flux being around two-thirds that of the Sun. I'm guessing the brightness of the sky at noon would probably be around that of evening on Earth, just dark enough to see stars.

31 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Hmm. Not from what I read. From what I read, skies would appear blue under sun-like stars, pale blue under K-type stars, white under red dwarf stars at a temperature of around 3,300 K, and yellow, orange and red under stars below 3,300 K. Here is my source.

You would be correct in saying that the sky would be significantly darker due to Proxima Centauri's stellar flux being around two-thirds that of the Sun. I'm guessing the brightness of the sky at noon would probably be around that of evening on Earth, just dark enough to see stars.

I got my info here: http://www.xenology.info/Xeno/5.4.2.htm & http://www.solstation.com/life/a-plants.htm

Hey @AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures In the latest release of CRP, the resource of Sodium got added  (originally proposed by KSPI-E for efficient electric propellant).

Next release if KSPI-E will allow Sodium to be harvested from the atmosphere. You told me that one of your gas giants was a type Class IV: Alkali metals gas giant, which means it contains significant amount of sodium in it atmosphere. I propose you add resource definition to your CRP folder defining the concentration of sodium in your type 4 gas giants. That way, these giants can be scoop from both gas giants Mesosphere (upper atmosphere) or Thermosphere (above atmosphere)

Edited by FreeThinker

56 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Hey @AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures In the latest release of CRP, the resource of Sodium got added  (originally proposed by KSPI-E for efficient electric propellant).

Next release if KSPI-E will allow Sodium to be harvested from the atmosphere. You told me that one of your gas giants was a type Class IV: Alkali metals gas giant, which means it contains significant amount of sodium in it atmosphere. I propose you add resource definition to your CRP folder defining the concentration of sodium in your type 4 gas giants. That way, these giants can be scoop from both gas giants Mesosphere (upper atmosphere) or Thermosphere (above atmosphere)

Thank you for giving me this information. Will add sodium definitions for the Class IV planets in the same update as the Proxima Centauri b update.

1 hour ago, StarCrusher96 said:

Your second source cites my source as a source :D. Your second source and my source both have this graph:

73o6dRQ.jpg

Matching up Proxima Centauri's temperature of around 3000 degrees Kelvin on the graph, a planet with an atmosphere identical to Earth's should have a sky that is a very pale yellow/orange.

12 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Thank you for giving me this information. Will add sodium definitions for the Class IV planets in the same update as the Proxima Centauri b update.

Your second source cites my source as a source :D. Your second source and my source both have this graph:

73o6dRQ.jpg

Matching up Proxima Centauri's temperature of around 3000 degrees Kelvin on the graph, a planet with an atmosphere identical to Earth's should have a sky that is a very pale yellow/orange.

seems I've been following the  Rayleigh Molecular Scattering in Planetary Atmospheres from the first source :p sorry my bad haha

Edited by StarCrusher96

UPDATE FOR CONSTELLATIONS (February 11, 2017)

Proxima Centauri just got some big changes! Proxima Centauri b now has completely new (and much better looking) textures, custom terrain textures, a biome map, basic science definitions, and some minor scatterer tweaks. Here is everything that has been added/changed:

• Proxima Centauri overhaul
  • New sun flares
  • Fixed star luminosities
  • Texture Replacer support
  • Updated ResearchBodies configs
  • Updated CRP configs

19 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

how did you fix the luminosities? PM me :P

Oh that is unrelated to the problem people were experiencing with Kopernicus. I had just done something silly when figuring out the luminosities of stars. Wasn't that issue solved with Kopernicus recently? Anyhow, I haven't had that problem with Kopernicus and star luminosities.

Just now, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Oh that is unrelated to the problem people were experiencing with Kopernicus. I had just done something silly when figuring out the luminosities of stars. Wasn't that issue solved with Kopernicus recently? Anyhow, I haven't had that problem with Kopernicus and star luminosities.

oh okay I thought you found a fix for every star having the same solar output :p