1 hour ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

What system are you adding next? And will there be any exomoons in the next update?

I'm adding the Gliese 3293 system. Since there are only three planets, I'll probably be able to finish the system in one or two updates. Exomoons are not coming yet. Because we haven't actually found any confirmed exomoons, I'm almost hesitant to add any. Plus, it would take a lot of mind-numbing work to try to create dozens of creative Exomoons for each system.

53 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

I'm adding the Gliese 3293 system. Since there are only three planets, I'll probably be able to finish the system in one or two updates. Exomoons are not coming yet. Because we haven't actually found any confirmed exomoons, I'm almost hesitant to add any. Plus, it would take a lot of mind-numbing work to try to create dozens of creative Exomoons for each system.

I might - MIGHT - be able to find some exomoons in the IRVEES program. But since all the planets in RSS Extrasolar were discovered by radial velocity and I'm using transits to find moons, they won't get any confirmed companions yet. I'm targeting planets like Kepler-37d, Kepler-443b, WASP-14b, and Kepler-11g. However, I've been doing a lot of theories on exomoons for different planets and planetary types, so I do have some ideas to toss around.

Speaking of my speculation on extrasolar bodies, I've also been finding missing parameters for exoplanets using Sara Seager's Radius-Mass Relationship chart. This can help with creating the exoplanets of Gliese 3293, along with the other planets, as realistic as possible. I've done some number-crunching to get the radius, gravity, and other parameters needed to create Gliese 3293 b, c, and d.

• Gliese 3293 b: 4.67 Earth Radii; 1.09 gees; 1.285 g/cm3; Blue-white Neptunian with Neptune-like composition.
  • Gliese 3292 c: 2.03 Earth Radii; 1.99-2.02 gees; 5.85 g/cm3; Super-Earth; Mostly oceans with few land masses.
  • Gliese 3293 d: 4.8 Earth Radii; 0.91 gees; 1.04215 g/cm3; Greenish ice giant with Uranus-like composition and a slightly extended atmosphere.

(Also, for those math geeks out there, I found a way to calculate a planet's density relative to Earth while figuring out the above values. It only needs mass and radius values to work. I'm not too sure if this equation is 100% reliable, but I made it with my knowledge on planet-making equations. See the spoiler below:)

Spoiler

(((M/R2) -0.05)/R)x5.514

What you need to do is divide the MASS of the planet by its RADIUS in EARTH RADII. Subtract 0.05 from the quotient to get a ROUGH ESTIMATE of the gravity. Divide the rough gravity measurement by the planet's radius to get the density of the planet relative to Earth. Finally, multiply that value by 5.514 (Earth's density) to get the exact DENSITY of your planet. Remember, all values used in the equation are relative to Earth being 1.

4 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I might - MIGHT - be able to find some exomoons in the IRVEES program. But since all the planets in RSS Extrasolar were discovered by radial velocity and I'm using transits to find moons, they won't get any confirmed companions yet. I'm targeting planets like Kepler-37d, Kepler-443b, WASP-14b, and Kepler-11g. However, I've been doing a lot of theories on exomoons for different planets and planetary types, so I do have some ideas to toss around.

Speaking of my speculation on extrasolar bodies, I've also been finding missing parameters for exoplanets using Sara Seager's Radius-Mass Relationship chart. This can help with creating the exoplanets of Gliese 3293, along with the other planets, as realistic as possible. I've done some number-crunching to get the radius, gravity, and other parameters needed to create Gliese 3293 b, c, and d.

• Gliese 3293 b: 4.67 Earth Radii; 1.09 gees; 1.285 g/cm3; Blue-white Neptunian with Neptune-like composition.
  • Gliese 3292 c: 2.03 Earth Radii; 1.99-2.02 gees; 5.85 g/cm3; Super-Earth; Mostly oceans with few land masses.
  • Gliese 3293 d: 4.8 Earth Radii; 0.91 gees; 1.04215 g/cm3; Greenish ice giant with Uranus-like composition and a slightly extended atmosphere.

(Also, for those math geeks out there, I found a way to calculate a planet's density relative to Earth while figuring out the above values. It only needs mass and radius values to work. I'm not too sure if this equation is 100% reliable, but I made it with my knowledge on planet-making equations. See the spoiler below:)

Hide contents

(((M/R2) -0.05)/R)x5.514

What you need to do is divide the MASS of the planet by its RADIUS in EARTH RADII. Subtract 0.05 from the quotient to get a ROUGH ESTIMATE of the gravity. Divide the rough gravity measurement by the planet's radius to get the density of the planet relative to Earth. Finally, multiply that value by 5.514 (Earth's density) to get the exact DENSITY of your planet. Remember, all values used in the equation are relative to Earth being 1.

I did a bit of quick reading on what you are doing with the IRVEES program and it is very cool. I wish I could help with it, but I'm only 14 so I don't really have the resources, the funds or the knowledge. Eventually I want to get a nice telescope to look at the beautiful rings of Saturn :D. Anyways, if you actually found some exomoons, that would be absolutely amazing. I would thank you and congratulate you millions of times over if you did that. Until then, I'm just going to keep all of the planets without moons, for the same reason I haven't been putting unconfirmed exoplanets.

As for the size, density and gravitational pull of exoplanets, I've just been using Universe Sandbox 2 for that. Call me an amateur or whatever you'd like but I just think its easier. I do thank you for all of this information you have given me though, its greatly appreciated. The more information I have on exoplanets, the better I'll be able to make this mod.

9 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

I did a bit of quick reading on what you are doing with the IRVEES program and it is very cool. I wish I could help with it, but I'm only 14 so I don't really have the resources, the funds or the knowledge. Eventually I want to get a nice telescope to look at the beautiful rings of Saturn :D. Anyways, if you actually found some exomoons, that would be absolutely amazing. I would thank you and congratulate you millions of times over if you did that. Until then, I'm just going to keep all of the planets without moons, for the same reason I haven't been putting unconfirmed exoplanets.

As for the size, density and gravitational pull of exoplanets, I've just been using Universe Sandbox 2 for that. Call me an amateur or whatever you'd like but I just think its easier. I do thank you for all of this information you have given me though, its greatly appreciated. The more information I have on exoplanets, the better I'll be able to make this mod.

I use US2 a lot for similar purposes too, such as composition modeling (I did that with GJ 1214 b) and whether or not a known exoplanet can hold onto a moon. I do use some math to pick out the planets I want to test for moons, though. Speaking of which, I found out that Tau Ceti d, e, and f can have at least one moon with a radius larger than 0.05 Earth Radii. Tau Ceti c may or may not be able to hold onto a few captured asteroids. Also, I have ideas for planets b and c: Tau Ceti b could be a gas dwarf 2.1 times the size of Earth, and Tau Ceti c could be a hot desert with large lava flows and 1.4 Earth Radii.

My number-crunching of the Tau Ceti system also gave out possible radii and densities for the 3 planets currently in the mod. Are these parameters similar or exact to how you made the planets in RSS Extrasolar?

• Tau Ceti d: 1.53 Earth Radii; 5.3621665 g/cm3
  • Tau Ceti e: 1.6 Earth Radii; 5.62 g/cm3
  • Tau Ceti f: 1.83 Earth Radii; 5.7852 g/cm3

4 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I use US2 a lot for similar purposes too, such as composition modeling (I did that with GJ 1214 b) and whether or not a known exoplanet can hold onto a moon. I do use some math to pick out the planets I want to test for moons, though. Speaking of which, I found out that Tau Ceti d, e, and f can have at least one moon with a radius larger than 0.05 Earth Radii. Tau Ceti c may or may not be able to hold onto a few captured asteroids. Also, I have ideas for planets b and c: Tau Ceti b could be a gas dwarf 2.1 times the size of Earth, and Tau Ceti c could be a hot desert with large lava flows and 1.4 Earth Radii.

My number-crunching of the Tau Ceti system also gave out possible radii and densities for the 3 planets currently in the mod. Are these parameters similar or exact to how you made the planets in RSS Extrasolar?

Again, thanks for the information. I've actually already completed Tau Ceti c for the next update. I have it as a sort of super-sized Chariklo (Chariklo is my favorite minor planet by the way). I wasn't able to come up with an idea for Tau Ceti b so thanks for providing your suggestion on that. I'll most likely use it. However, gas dwarfs are sort of a mix between a rocky planet and a gas giant right? So, in the game, should I have it as a rocky planet with a very thick atmosphere or should I just have it as any other gaseous planet in the game, just smaller?

Yeah all of those numbers are almost right on what I have. The only one that is kind of different is Tau Ceti d which I have at 1.39 earth radii, but even that is a very small difference.

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

I think I want to rename this mod after the update I'm going to release soon. I have sort of abandoned regular Extrasolar and I want to separate RSS Extrasolar from regular Extrasolar more. What do you think I should name it?

3 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Again, thanks for the information. I've actually already completed Tau Ceti c for the next update. I have it as a sort of super-sized Chariklo (Chariklo is my favorite minor planet by the way). I wasn't able to come up with an idea for Tau Ceti b so thanks for providing your suggestion on that. I'll most likely use it. However, gas dwarfs are sort of a mix between a rocky planet and a gas giant right? So, in the game, should I have it as a rocky planet with a very thick atmosphere or should I just have it as any other gaseous planet in the game, just smaller?

Yeah all of those numbers are almost right on what I have. The only one that is kind of different is Tau Ceti d which I have at 1.39 earth radii, but even that is a very small difference.

By a "super-sized Chariklo", do you mean a rocky planet with thin rings, a darkly-colored terrestrial, or a combination of both?

If you were to have an EVE patch for RSS Extrasolar along with a terrestrial planet with a thick atmosphere, it would look like a gas dwarf. It was done with Keelon from Kerbol Plus, and it looks really good:

L9A5PJB.png

However, I make my gas dwarfs (like K2-3c/Brigid) the same way as gas giants, just smaller. It saves the trouble of incorporating a mod like EVE with a planet pack.

13 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

I think I want to rename this mod after the update I'm going to release soon. I have sort of abandoned regular Extrasolar and I want to separate RSS Extrasolar from regular Extrasolar more. What do you think I should name it?

I honestly have no idea, since I'm so used to the name of RSS Extrasolar. Maybe something like "Real Extrasolar for RSS." Like I said before, I don't have any good ideas.

Also, about the abandonment of regular Extrasolar...

Nooo-Meme-Darth-Vader-04.jpg

49 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

By a "super-sized Chariklo", do you mean a rocky planet with thin rings, a darkly-colored terrestrial, or a combination of both?

Both. Thin rings around a dark-colored terrestrial planet.

50 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

If you were to have an EVE patch for RSS Extrasolar along with a terrestrial planet with a thick atmosphere, it would look like a gas dwarf. It was done with Keelon from Kerbol Plus, and it looks really good:

L9A5PJB.png

However, I make my gas dwarfs (like K2-3c/Brigid) the same way as gas giants, just smaller. It saves the trouble of incorporating a mod like EVE with a planet pack.

If I try doing something like that, I want to wait until RVE is updated. Maybe after RVE is updated, I'll go back and make the Tau Ceti b like Keelon above. For now, though I'm just going to stick with making gas dwarfs just like gas giants. It saves some time as well.

54 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I honestly have no idea, since I'm so used to the name of RSS Extrasolar. Maybe something like "Real Extrasolar for RSS." Like I said before, I don't have any good ideas.

That's fine. I was thinking about having the word constellation(s) somewhere in the name. Something like "RSS Constellations", "Real Constellations" or something as simple as "Constellations." I'll figure it out eventually.

57 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Also, about the abandonment of regular Extrasolar...

Nooo-Meme-Darth-Vader-04.jpg

I know, I know, I know. Its just that regular Extrasolar was the very first mod that I made and there was a couple of problems that I had with it. RSS Extrasolar is a lot more fun for me because I get to research about actual exoplanets and put them in a video game. Plus, that gives me more time to focus on this mod and make it more amazing. If I learn how to make parts for KSP, I might add a couple of basic interstellar propulsion systems, just in case people don't want to get KSPI Extended.

Hope you guys like the new update. Those of you who were having SOI issues will have them no longer if you download the update. There are also more planets for you to adventure. Tau Ceti and HD 10180 are fully complete, and GJ 3293, Wolf 1061 and Alpha Centauri are on the way. If any of you are still having issues after this update, please let me know so I can try to solve them.

• 2 weeks later...

Notice, I recently added the Daedalus IC Fusion Engine to KSPI-E, the first slower than light engine which is specificly build to travel to Extra solar systems.

It would be intresting to know how long it would take and how much fusion fuel to to send multiple scientific probes though the extra soalr system.

The insterstellar vessel  is supposed to look something like this.

daedalus.jpg

Good luck on your travel to the stars

Edited by FreeThinker

15 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Question, should HD 10180 c be more redish due to the iron in the hot atmosphere?

I'm pretty sure the planets that are at the temperature HD 10180 c is at are only supposed to glow red and don't necessarily have to be red.

• 2 weeks later...

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures, have you read the book Aurora by Kim Stanely Robinson? It talks about (fake) but scientifically acurate moon of Tau Ceti E, Aurora. It also talks about two other moons, Around Tau Ceti F, Iris, which is a Mars like world, and a small icy moon orbiting close to F.

So basically, will you be adding Moons of any sort? Aurora will definitely give you inspiration.

Also, more importantly (for me), is there a way to get this mod to work with Stock Sized Real Solar System? I have some story ideas in the future that I would love to use like this.

Thank you for everything!

2 hours ago, DMSP said:

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures, have you read the book Aurora by Kim Stanely Robinson? It talks about (fake) but scientifically acurate moon of Tau Ceti E, Aurora. It also talks about two other moons, Around Tau Ceti F, Iris, which is a Mars like world, and a small icy moon orbiting close to F.

So basically, will you be adding Moons of any sort? Aurora will definitely give you inspiration.

Also, more importantly (for me), is there a way to get this mod to work with Stock Sized Real Solar System? I have some story ideas in the future that I would love to use like this.

Thank you for everything!

I don't plan on adding any exomoons into this mod. Any moons I would be adding would be pure speculation, and I only want to add planets and moons we know exist. This is the same reason I'm not adding unconfirmed exoplanets.

With a little bit of config tinkering, you can get it to work with stock ksp. On the first line of all of the configs there is something that says something like "AFTER: RealSolarSystem." All you need to do is go through all of the configs and change it to "AFTER: Kopernicus." Everything should work fine with stock ksp after that, although the radii and orbital distances of planets will be a bit off from stock. You might want to divide all of the radii and the semi-major axis of all of the planets by 10.

Hey, has anyone attempted a travel  to external planets yets using KSPI-E Daedalus engine? I would like to know how long it took. and what speeds you achieve. MY maximum speed with aa base 5m Daedalus was about 36% of the speed of light. This would technically allow you to travel though alpha centaury in 12 years and send some probes though the star, passing by objects of intrest.

Edited by FreeThinker

On 6/25/2016 at 8:54 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:

Note: Usually, super-earths with lower mass tend to be composed of heavier materials. This means that t Cet b is most likely to be a rocky planet, and t Cet f is likely  to be a water world.

Actually we've found gas planets with low mass, but the one hugging its star like t Cet b is likely solid.

This is t Cet system I built in Universe Sandbox2:

• Tau Ceti b: 2 Earth masses, 1.2 Earth radii. The planet is hot, dry rock, with hydrogen-carbon dioxide-nitrogen atmosphere a bit denser than Earth. Few shield volcano activities. Tidal locked.
  • Tau Ceti c: 3.1 Earth masses, 1.4 Earth radii. The planet has hydrogen-carbon dioxide-nitrogen atmosphere about 1.5 times denser than Earth. Few shield volcano activities. Tidal locked.
  • Tau Ceti d: 3.8 Earth masses, 1.4 Earth radii. The planet is arid world with atmosphere comparable to t Cet c. Not tidally locked, but slow.
  • Tau Ceti e: 4.3 Earth masses, 1.6 Earth radii. This planet is interesting world to discuss. It is in the hot edge of HZ, so it should look like Venus. However, a To'ul'h subtype is more interesting to explore. More info about To'ul'h subtype at: Orion's Arm: To'ul'h subtype
  • Tau Ceti f: 6.6 Earth masses, 1.8 Earth radii. The planet is either hydrogen-carbon dioxide-nitrogen icy world or slushball world with thin ice and methane in the atmosphere as the equator subsurface ocean opens.

Sidenote: Constellations is the name of one of NASA's program, and there is a mod that already took that name. I suggest this mod's name change to something else, like "RSS Constellations" or "Beyond Sol: Constellations".

Don't forget to add more planets from GJ 581, especially planet d. :D

5 hours ago, Hypercosmic said:

Sidenote: Constellations is the name of one of NASA's program, and there is a mod that already took that name. I suggest this mod's name change to something else, like "RSS Constellations" or "Beyond Sol: Constellations".

Don't forget to add more planets from GJ 581, especially planet d. :D

Thanks for the input. I'm probably going to keep the name as it is just because I've become too accoustomed to it.

9 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Thanks for the input. I'm probably going to keep the name as it is just because I've become too accoustomed to it.

Actually the latter name sounds too cool to be abandoned!

I think I can't find any of your stars neighboring my SmallSolarSystem. Probably I have to fix the configs.

3 minutes ago, Hypercosmic said:

Actually the latter name sounds too cool to be abandoned!

I think I can't find any of your stars neighboring my SmallSolarSystem. Probably I have to fix the configs.

Do the stars appear in Hyperedit?

4 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Do the stars appear in Hyperedit?

No. I can't see any. Just those 1/10 Solar System bodies. Nothing else.

Note that I installed both original and my modified 1/10 objects.

1 hour ago, Hypercosmic said:

No. I can't see any. Just those 1/10 Solar System bodies. Nothing else.

Note that I installed both original and my modified 1/10 objects.

Yeah messing with the configs will probably do it. I dont know how SmallSolarSystem works so I would be of little help.

On 7/26/2016 at 4:29 PM, FreeThinker said:

Hey, has anyone attempted a travel to travel to external planets yets using KSPI-E Daedalus engine? I would like to know how long it took. and what speeds you achieve. MY maximum speed with aa base 5m Daedalus was about 36% of the speed of light. This would technically allow you to travel though alpha centaury in 12 years and send some probes though the star, passing by objects of intrest.

I think it'll need a magnetic sail for braking and entering the star system. Waiting for it.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 5:29 AM, FreeThinker said:

Hey, has anyone attempted a travel  to external planets yets using KSPI-E Daedalus engine? I would like to know how long it took. and what speeds you achieve. MY maximum speed with aa base 5m Daedalus was about 36% of the speed of light. This would technically allow you to travel though alpha centaury in 12 years and send some probes though the star, passing by objects of intrest.

I've been trying to do this recently. Is there a reason why the daedlus engine only has a thrust of 300 kn in your mod?