(4/9/2017) [1.2.x] v0.6: Revamped Stock Solar System

On 5/2/2016 at 2:38 PM, PickledTripod said:

Other than Tycho the Moon has several smaller craters that have white ejecta and many more brighter spots, do you think it'd be possible to add some more to the Mun? I think it would look even better that way.

Possible? Yes. Likely? Nah. I feel like one is enough, given all the trouble adding one is. Plus it matches the Mun picture in the old Kerbalcomics.com website

Edited by GregroxMun

https://github.com/GregroxMun/Revamped-Stock-Kerbol-System/releases/tag/0.3

Version 0.3 is available

• 1.1 Compatibility
  • Minor fix to Duna's color map
  • Offset Duna's heightmap to better match the stock heightmap, and thus the stock biomes.
  • Tweak Eve's atmosphere color to be less awful.
  • DistantObjectEnhancement and PlanetShine compatibility.
  • Tylo Revamp Mk3 (More varied procedural craters)
  • Cim and Gobe given irregular shapes.
  • Shrunk Gobe to 10000m from 20000m and Cim to 20000 from 30000.
  • Moved Bop out to a highly inclined low-ish irregular moon orbit.
  • There is a Laythe Revamp, but expect it to change, as I don't really like it that much.
  • Revamped Mun. Gave it more varied craters and a Tycho crater analogue.
  • Revamped Minmus. Made it dirtier and darker, more cratered, and with a more interesting surface.
  • Moved Mun into a lower orbit (but still higher than stock orbit.)
  • Moved Minmus to orbit Kerbin again (but still higher than stock orbit)
  • Fixed Gilly's pixelated and jagged height map.
  • Brightened Kerbin's atmosphere rims.
  • Disabled Load On Demand feature, as Kopernicus seems to have a few problems with this. Don't worry though, Load On Demand WILL come back before v1.0!

Wheeeee.

Thanks for update.

checking it out now.

Cheers.

Edit: LOOKS GREAT.!

Yes, i shouted.

It is worth a shout.

Cheers, and thanks for the mod.

Edited by drtedastro
updated info

"Anyone that doubts the wisdom of retrograde bop needs to get the [heck] out." -Scott Manley.

(I've got Principia compatibility working for 0.4.)

There are five options for the orbit of Minmus.

• Default, which is where both Mun and Minmus are moved further away from Kerbin. This has problems when using Principia, because Mun likes to kick Minmus out of Kerbin's Hill Sphere. The following settings fix this problem.
  • RetroMinmus, where Minmus has the default orbit, except retrograde. This can be called "Distant Retrograde Minmus." or "RetroMin" for short.
  • TrojanMinmus, where Minmus is moved to an identical orbit as Kerbin, except 30 degrees behind.
  • CometMinmus, where Minmus is moved to a 1/10 scale version of the orbit of the comet 67P Churyumov-Gerasimenko.
  • StockMunMinmusOrbits, where Mun and Minmus are moved to their default stock orbits.

All of these options have been tested out to year 95 or so and show no signs of instability. The Jool system is stable because Bop, Pol, and Gobe all orbit distant enough from the main moons to remain stable, and the main moons are both less massive and broken out of the surprisingly unstable 1:2:4 resonance.

There's also an optional config to move Cim Ameli out to a slightly more distant orbit. This is because Principia will crash immediately if a moon is orbiting too close. Also, Cim has been renamed to Ameli because Cim isn't fun to say, and also I kept mis-spelling Cim. :blush:

All of these optional configs can be enabled/disabled in a new Settings.cfg, just like in Alternis Rekerjiggered.

25 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

"Anyone that doubts the wisdom of retrograde bop needs to get the [heck] out." -Scott Manley.

(I've got Principia compatibility working for 0.4.)

There are five options for the orbit of Minmus...

I actually think Minmus' style is very fitting for a comet, a dirty snowball, and it would be good to have a eccentric orbiting object around the sun for once! Go comet!

12 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

This took way too long to make work.

WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Please tell me those are biome maps...  :P

Just now, GregroxMun said:

They're the new scaledspace maps, actually. Why, don't you like them?

Yes, quite a nice piece of modern art!

Just now, GregroxMun said:

of course they're biome maps what do you think I would just ruin Duna like that what the heck man?

I know.  If those were scaled space maps, that would just be sad...

Man, this is just way tooooooo good for mere mortals such a us....

Just landed on the new duna.  Looks so great it is scary.

Damn nice work is all I can say.

Fantastic also works.

Cheers and thanks.

On 3/17/2016 at 6:07 PM, GregroxMun said:

It has silver metallic oceans, perhaps made from Mercury or Gallium. Maybe even Lead.

Oh, cool! Another planet with liquid Gallium oceans!

Also, just a bit of scientific analysis here. Eve is about 425 degrees Kelvin, while both Venus and Mercury are over 750 Kelvin at their hottest. 425 Kelvin is only 305.33 Fahrenheit, which is too cool for liquid Lead. Lead melts at 600 Kelvin. Also, Mercury is a liquid at room temperature and boils at about 630 Kelvin. Since Gallium is slightly more common than Mercury, it's possible that the oceans of Eve in this mod are both Gallium and Mercury. Another reason why you should never send Kerbals to Eve... Also, if you thought that Gallium could boil away on Eve, its boiling point is 2673 Kelvin, or over 4,000 Fahrenheit.

33 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Oh, cool! Another planet with liquid Gallium oceans!

Also, just a bit of scientific analysis here. Eve is about 425 degrees Kelvin, while both Venus and Mercury are over 750 Kelvin at their hottest. 425 Kelvin is only 305.33 Fahrenheit, which is too cool for liquid Lead. Lead melts at 600 Kelvin. Also, Mercury is a liquid at room temperature and boils at about 630 Kelvin. Since Gallium is slightly more common than Mercury, it's possible that the oceans of Eve in this mod are both Gallium and Mercury. Another reason why you should never send Kerbals to Eve... Also, if you thought that Gallium could boil away on Eve, its boiling point is 2673 Kelvin, or over 4,000 Fahrenheit.

Are those numbers adjusted for eve pressure?

18 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Nope. However, I doubt Eve's 5 atm atmosphere would be able to keep Lead a liquid on the surface.

Of course it wouldn't keep lead a liquid. Higher atmospheric pressure means it's more likely to stay a solid.

17 hours ago, AlexTheNotSoGreat said:

I actually think Minmus' style is very fitting for a comet, a dirty snowball, and it would be good to have a eccentric orbiting object around the sun for once! Go comet!

I agree, especially if you use KopernicusExpansion to add a cometary tail to Minmus! :D

2 hours ago, tygoo7 said:

Use the scroll wheel.

wait, what?

GregroxMun tries this.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

My creativity shall not be broken by too-short description boxes any longer! LONG LIVE THE LONG DESCRIPTIONS!

So, more Biomes then?

Now with separate biome for the Judy Crater.

Ike has a much more interesting, descriptive, and varied biome map than ever before.

OK, here's the new Laythe texture.

jDTdMZU.png

JUST KIDDING! My god, planet making is fun.

This is still a work in progress of course, the main thing being that it's got shiny terrain (which will not stay). :P Laythe is now essentially Yellowstone National Park on a planetary scale.

Edited by GregroxMun

23 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

OK, here's the new Laythe texture.

jDTdMZU.png

JUST KIDDING! My god, planet making is fun.

This is still a work in progress of course, the main thing being that it's got shiny terrain (which will not stay). :P Laythe is now essentially Yellowstone National Park on a planetary scale.

My god, this looks pretty. A lot like the descriptions of Europa in Clarke's 2010, to be honest. The one thing that would be really cool is evidence of life on Laythe. Even if the atmosphere and oceans are toxic to Kerbals, the heat caused by vulcanism and tidal forces would be enough to let life arise. Maybe have some islands coated with algae? That's just my opinion, looks fantastic anyways.

9 hours ago, Rock3tman_ said:

My god, this looks pretty. A lot like the descriptions of Europa in Clarke's 2010, to be honest. The one thing that would be really cool is evidence of life on Laythe. Even if the atmosphere and oceans are toxic to Kerbals, the heat caused by vulcanism and tidal forces would be enough to let life arise. Maybe have some islands coated with algae? That's just my opinion, looks fantastic anyways.

The surface will not have any living organisms, there's just too much radiation there. However, the oceans will be full of the evidence that life exists, if not actual samples of micro-organisms. (All in the science reports, of course)

Here, enjoy some WIP shots of Laythe. The pictures with the lighter green ocean seen from near the ground are closest to the final product, but the ocean is still being tweaked.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.