(4/9/2017) [1.2.x] v0.6: Revamped Stock Solar System

36 minutes ago, BigFatStupidHead said:

This is really awesome. Can I install this with Alien Space Program or would that break the everything?

I have not tried it, but I suspect it should work, kind of. Whichever Alien Space Program you use would have the stock appearance. (Eve Space Program would still have a very purple Eve, Laythe Space Program would have a stock sized and terrain'd Laythe, etc.) Again, I haven't tested it, so I don't know for sure. I had intended to make an Alien Space Program patch for some planet packs like Alternis, RevSS, and Uncharted Lands. But only after RevSS was finished.

7 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

I have not tried it, but I suspect it should work, kind of. Whichever Alien Space Program you use would have the stock appearance. (Eve Space Program would still have a very purple Eve, Laythe Space Program would have a stock sized and terrain'd Laythe, etc.) Again, I haven't tested it, so I don't know for sure. I had intended to make an Alien Space Program patch for some planet packs like Alternis, RevSS, and Uncharted Lands. But only after RevSS was finished.

I'll give it a go then, and let you know if anything goes excitingly wrong. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Has the orbital period of Kerbin changed with this mod?  I'm trying to roleplay something sitting at the L4 point of Kerbin's orbit around the Sun, and when I'm matching Kerbin's orbit, it's more like 400 days (pretty much exactly) compared to the 426 days that is listed in the Wiki (http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Kerbin).

This is the only Kopernicus mod that I have installed, so I just wanted to check. Did I mess up something else? I normally use Kerbal Alarm Clock's transfer window schedule to know when to plan my interplanetary transfers. These numbers seem all out of whack because of this too.  If I load up something like MechJeb's advanced transfer planner (to do some porkchop selections), I get wildly different transfer windows, but ones that are more true to the nature of the positions of the celestial bodies.

(Edit: Just removed the mod and sent a ship out to the same altitude above the Sun as Kerbin and circularized it.  The period was 1 year (426 days)).

5 minutes ago, cantab said:

If @GregroxMun changed the mass of the Sun, that would change the orbital periods of all the planets.

How do most people using this mod manage their interplanetary transfer windows? The standard tools wouldn't work because of this, right? Do I just keep a dummy vessel in orbit, compute a bunch of transfer windows ahead of time and then use those maneuver nodes to set up targets for myself in KAC?

9 minutes ago, Kesselya said:

How do most people using this mod manage their interplanetary transfer windows? The standard tools wouldn't work because of this, right? Do I just keep a dummy vessel in orbit, compute a bunch of transfer windows ahead of time and then use those maneuver nodes to set up targets for myself in KAC?

if you use the ingame transfer window planner it automatically calculates all the values reading from the game. Unless that mod is out of date, I have not used in a while

1 hour ago, cantab said:

If @GregroxMun changed the mass of the Sun, that would change the orbital periods of all the planets.

The sun's mass is changed, but it is pretty close to the default. Though now that I think about it, because of the sensitivity of the date and time system in KSP, I might fix the mass and change only the radius, instead of changing both radius and GeeASL.

@Kesselya if you want to fix that right now, instead of waiting for 0.4 to be released, you can edit the file in GameData/RevampedStockSystem/KopernicusFiles/Sun/Sun.cfg.

Where you see:

@Properties
		{
			radius = 69570000
			geeASL = 27.94
			description = The Sun is a relatively normal yellow main sequence star. It was long thought to be a huge burning mass of coal in the sky, burning an unending supply of the flammable rocks. It is now known that the Sun, and all main sequence stars like it, do not burn fuel as much as they totally annihilate it through a process known as Nuclear Fusion.
		}

change it to:

@Properties
		{
			radius = 69570000
			mass = 1.75656696858329E+28
			description = The Sun is a relatively normal yellow main sequence star. It was long thought to be a huge burning mass of coal in the sky, burning an unending supply of the flammable rocks. It is now known that the Sun, and all main sequence stars like it, do not burn fuel as much as they totally annihilate it through a process known as Nuclear Fusion.
		}

(I replaced "geeASL = 27.94" with "mass = 1.75656696858329E+28".)

Edited by GregroxMun

Yeah, Transfer Window Planner is now up to date. Mechjeb has a transfer planner too. There are the stock methods to find launch windows with manouvre nodes. You can calculate the required phase angles and eyeball them or hold a protractor to the screen. So no shortage of options really.

One brief issue with Cim. When you decreased it's size and gravity, that moved Cim's SOI inside of the planet (SOIs are measured from the planet's center, not from the surface), making going there impossible. Maybe increasing it's gravity again will fix it?

Edited by AlexTheNotSoGreat

35 minutes ago, AlexTheNotSoGreat said:

One brief issue with Cim. When you decreased it's size and gravity, that moved Cim's SOI inside of the planet (SOIs are measured from the planet's center, not from the surface), making going there impossible. Maybe increasing it's gravity again will fix it?

Its sphere of influence should have been hacked up to a large enough size that that is not a problem. I tested this with a spacecraft. Also, it's called Ameli now, not Cim. But I can check again.

Edited by GregroxMun

2 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

Its sphere of influence should have been hacked up to a large enough size that that is not a problem. I tested this with a spacecraft. Also, it's called Ameli now, not Cim. But I can check again.

Ah, I see. guess my version had been tampered with (hyperedit) and removed the hacked SOI. now it's back!

On 5/21/2016 at 0:17 AM, drswagboss said:

Are there any scatterer configs for this mod?

I've been (very slowly) making scatterer and EVE configs for this, working with Greg.  I hope to have them up soon.

On 5/21/2016 at 3:17 AM, drswagboss said:

Are there any scatterer configs for this mod?

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Is this compatible with Scatterer?
A: Yes, because apparently Scatterer now automatically makes the scaledspace stuff attached to the celestial body sphere instead of at a manually-set size. However, as I don't like the atmosphere color for Jool and Eve, and the oceans for Eve, I may end up making my own Scatterer configs. (As soon as scatterer introduces modular configuration)  Cetera is working on some Scatterer configs.

Hey guys, just wanted to say how much I am enjoying the Revamped planets! Over the last few years I have put a couple thousand hours into playing KSP and this mod goes a long ways to making my favorite planets interesting again! Absolutely loving the new Duna! Just starting my colonization/exploration there. Put up a communication network (playing with RemoteTech), dropped a dozen or so unmanned lander probes, landed some unmanned rovers, and just landed my first manned expedition in a Mars Direct style. So much new territory to explore! Thanks again for making this and I eagerly look forward to future updates. :D

Things done so far in 0.4

• Laythe Revamp
  • Renamed Cim to Ameli
  • Implemented Biome maps for Duna, Ike, Mun, Jool, and Vall.
  • Principia Compatibility Patches, optionally enabled via a settings.cfg.
  • Better SigmaDimensions compatibility. (Ignores terrain height setting on Gilly, Ameli, and Gobe.)
  • Basic OPM compatibility (resolves the Eeloo conflict).
  • Fix Mun's Crater decal (in 0.3 if you go to Mun, you'll find a huge black square around the tycho-crater like decal)
  • Implement @OhioBob's RealisticAtmospheres into RevSS, modified for Moho, Jool, and Laythe.
  • Revamped Pol.
  • Create Kev, a grey object similar in shape and orbit to Ameli.
  • Re-revamped Jool.
  • Switch Moho over to the Moho template instead of using the Duna template.
    • This was only ever done in the first place for the atmosphere shader, but Kopernicus can handle atmosphere shaders on vacuum-template planets now.

What needs to be done before 0.4

• Get the optional StockJoolSystem patches working. These patches will include:
    • StockJoolSystem: Reverts Jool, Laythe, Vall, and Tylo to their stock masses and radii. Laythe and Jool gets the same atmospheric charactaristics of OhioBob's RealisticAtmospheres mod, no modifications.
    • StockJoolOrbits: Reverts Laythe, Vall, and Tylo to their stock orbital characteristics.
    • StockMinorJoolMoons: Reverts Bop and Pol to stock orbits, moves Gobe to an inclined, lower orbit near Bop and Pol.
    • FurtherAmeliAndKev: Required due to physical limitations if you want to use Principia. The game crashes if a moon is too close to a planet. If you use a rescale mod that makes the Kerbol system about 2 or more times larger, this is not neccesary. All this does is increases the semi Major Axis of Ameli and Kev.
  • Revamp Bop.
  • Biomes for Laythe.
  • Tweak atmosphere shader on Eve and Kerbin.

What needs to be done before 1.0

• The above 0.4 changes.
  • (maybe) implement the Community Terrain Texture Pack by @CaptRobau.
  • Revamp Kerbin.
  • Asteroid configs.
    • Less common near-Kerbin objects.
    • Remove Dresteroids.
    • Add an asteroid belt at the approximate semi-major-axis of Dres.
    • Irregular Jool Satellites in eccentric, inclined, and distant orbits.
  • Tiny blob moon for Eeloo.
  • Small asteroid moon for Duna and Ike.
    • Orbital parameters will be informed by the orbits of the Plutocharonian moons. As such it will likely be very far out.

What will be in 1.0

• Revamp Science Definitions
    • These should be more actually scientific. They should expose some of the nature of the planet, how it formed, and other mysteries of the Kerbal's solar system.
    • Minmus isn't pudding.
    • Crew and EVA reports made in first person, not second person.
    • Sensor reports (thermometer, barometer, seismometer, and gravimeter) written in third person.
    • Surface samples, Mystery Goo reports, and Material Lab reports remain in second person.
  • Advanced OPM compatibility.
    • I was gonna make my own Outer Planets pack designed to be played with RevSS, but why would I make my own version of something that is already popular and works well?
    • Instead, I'm going to make an "advanced" compatibility patch that will make the OPM system more similar to the Revamped Stock System compared to the Stock System.
    • Shrinks the moons of Sarnus (to make them closer to something that resembles stability)
    • Adds new moons to Sarnus, analogues of the current Saturnian satellite system. (New bodies will be a secondary download from RevSS)
    • Shrink Polta.
    • Make Hale, Priax, Nissee, and Tal more irregularly shaped.
    • Shrink Wal, move it out further to compensate for smaller hill sphere.
  • More advanced settings to toggle in the settings.cfg.
    • Taking suggestions for this.
  • DDS texture conversion, re-enable Kopernicus' OnDemand feature.

After RevSS 1.0

• Focus on Planet Pack X.
  • Jumbo32/50 will come back, powered by SigmaDimensions and RevSS.
  • DecaKerbol, a 10x scale mod.
    • Based upon RevSS, but with different PQSMods and Heightmaps to compensate for the 10x scale.
  • Alien Space Programs for RevSS, Uncharted Lands, Alternis Kerbol, and potentially New Horizons.
  • Go back to Alternis Kerbol Rekerjiggered and clean things up.
  • A Kerbol Of The Past and Kerbol Of The Future mod. More on that much later.

How Long?

• 0.4 by June 14th, probably.
  • 1.0 before the end of July, probably. Expect a 0.5 and 0.6 before then.
  • Jumbo32/50 about a week after RevSS 1.0.
  • DecaKerbol a month or two after RevSS 1.0.
Edited by GregroxMun
update 6/7/2016

2 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

How Long?

• 0.4 by the end of next week, for sure.
  • 1.0 before the end of July, probably. Expect a 0.5 and 0.6 before then.
  • Jumbo32/50 about a week after RevSS 1.0.
  • DecaKerbol a month or two after RevSS 1.0.

Nice to know. Even if it is a rough time estimate, I enjoy knowing when things like this will happen :)

OK, I have completed the work on the EVE and Scatterer configs for RevSS.  It is available here:

Consider this a public test version.  I've gone over it several times, and @GregroxMun has also, recommending tweaks and things here and there.  As these are only configuration changes, I'm not expecting anything untoward, but if you see something funky, please let me know at the above thread.

Also, in anticipation of the EVE update with the animated clouds, I've built the configs around the 1.1-3 pre-release.  You'll have to get it from @rbray89's github.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.