(4/9/2017) [1.2.x] v0.6: Revamped Stock Solar System

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2017 at 3:45 PM, notJebKerman said:

I'm not saying that this mod is bad, but is there a way to delete it without breaking the save?

Step one: make sure everything you can put in orbit is brought into an orbit that has a semi-major-axis greater than the stock planet's radius.

Step two: remove any vessels from the SOI of a newly added body.

Step three: pray to your local deity.

Step four: Remove RevSSS and restart the save.

Step five: Any extant ground bases will probably have strange positions when you reload them.

Step six: Enjoy the stock system, as hard as that may be.

11 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

Step one: make sure everything you can put in orbit is brought into an orbit that has a semi-major-axis greater than the stock planet's radius.

Step five: Any extant ground bases will probably have strange positions when you reload them.

Thank you! I should probably mention that the only reason I'm deleting this are easter eggs. Unfortunately modders (as far as I know) can't edit the position of these objects. Otherwise it's a great mod. 

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:47 PM, GregroxMun said:

-snip-

• A New Revamp for Tylo
    • Modify and refurbish heightmap.
    • Whiten up terrain again. It was too dark before.
    • Remove high-contrasting dark terrain. (Iapetus got its from dark material from Phoebe causing a runaway sublimation effect. The closest thing to that would possibly be Vall, but Vall's blue color isn't exactly going to look very good against Tylo's white.)
    • Make larger than Kerbin but with lower mass. (It's now an ice/silicate body instead of an ice/iron body.

-snip

How about Tylo gets that darker region from Bop? Orbits can be adjusted so Bop has the same orbital parameters as Phoebe (assuming that Tylo is uninclined Iapetus.)

http://imgur.com/a/FCGFv

5BxCCmr.pngEcu7UlQ.pngUgmBcyF.png2yZqr40.png
f1l26Sf.pnghWPmIIy.png

Coming Soon: 0.6: The Satellite Update

Majority of changes are to satellites of planets.

The stars next to each entry represent how hard it (will be/was) to pull it off correctly. (5 point scale)

Changelog so far:

• Added bodies:
    • Rimos: Asteroid moon of Duna/Ike. **...
    • Mix: Tiny lump of stuff around Eeloo. *....
  • Changed bodies:
    • Laythe, Vall, and Tylo are all now much closer to their stock sizes. *....
      • Laythe is slightly smaller, and has a slightly lower density. Atmosphere rescaled to match near-stock (From OhioBob's realistic atmospheres)
      • Vall is slightly smaller.
      • Tylo is made larger than Kerbin, but much less dense.
    • Vall no longer has the weird looking craters. *....
    • Tylo has been revamped again and again and again and again, and finally it looks good. ***..
    • Jool's stormy spot has been removed. *....
      • Removed from biome map too. *....
    • Gilly has been re-revamped. *....
      • Now uses Gilly's stock height to some extent, so it's not totally replacing everything from stock.
      • Darker, manually painted color map.

To do:

• Get some sleep. *****
  • Redo biomes for Gilly. **...
  • Add biomes to Mix and Rimos. **...
  • Fix negative altitude craters on Minmus. *....
  • Release. **...

After 0.6 (And remember my roadmaps are always wrong to some extent!)

The Selena Update

Majority of changes are to the moon-like bodies of the solar system. Those which have intermediate gravity and no/thin atmospheres.

Pt 1: Rocky

• Mun Revamp: *****
    • Rebuild heightmap from scratch, keeping many of the same features but actually looking like the Moon.
    • Will require some PQS trickery to work.
    • Should have a two-faced appearance (Far side is more cratered than near side.)
  • Moho Revamp: ***..
    • Grey, cratered.
    • Replace the Maria with plains.
    • Give it back its hot thin atmosphere.
  • Dres Revamp: **...
    • Add more craters.
    • Add white spots.
    • Make less contrasted.

Pt 2: Icy

• Minmus Revamp: **...
    • Make either much darker/dirtier or much lighter/whiter. (Not sure which, but I do not like the current overly green color.)
    • Add craters back to highlands.
  • Vall Revamp: ****.
    • Smooth, cracked Europa-style terrain. Blue-white surface with brown cracks. Some occasional craters.
  • Eeloo Revamp: ****.
    • Cracked Europa style terrain plus rugged, bladed, cellular Pluto style terrain. White lowlands with brown-red highlands.

The Mod Compatibility Update

• Outer Planets Mod
    • New textures for Sarnus, Urlum, and Neidon. ***..
      • These are already finished. I would happily give them away to OPM to use by default.
    • OPM!Eeloo Revamp ***..
      • Rename to Encethys
      • Replace straight cracks with curvy cracks a la Enceladus.
      • Better craters.
    • Slate Revamp **...
      • Make smaller (equivalent to Tylo in older versions of RevSSS)
      • Give a thin atmosphere that does not quite reach out of the mountains.
      • Better craters.
    • Tekto Revamp *....
      • Remove shininess from terrain.
    • Plock-Karen
      • Add three small satellites outside of Karen.
        • Mix (stolen from Eeloo) *....
        • Rydo (small, but made out of something that's dense, even for the Kerbal universe) **...
        • Pebbs (Bright red with white dots) *...
  • Principia
    • Axial Tilts for all Planets **??.
      • Kerbin's tilt remains at 0 by default, but optionally a setting can be enabled to shift to 23 degree tilt.
      • Moho, Eve, Duna, and Mun all have tilts based upon their real analogues. (With Mun's going along with an orbital inclination change)
      • Jool has a tilt of 11.3 degrees.
        • Big satellites will have the same tilt.
      • If OPM is installed:
        • Jool gets 3 degree tilt.
        • Sarnus, Urlum, and Neidon get prototypical tilts.
          • Urlum moons will be appropriately tilted! :D
    • Retrobop patch for Joolean moons. Make sure everything is N-body stable for at least 200 kerbal years.
  • EVE and Scatterer
    • I've already wrote up about this recently.

The Minor Planet Update

Adds more dwarf planets and minor bodies

• Asteroid Belts: **...
    • Main Belt between Duna and Jool.
    • Jool trojans and acheans.
    • Sub-Moho vulcanoids.
    • Trans-Joolean Objects (Trans-Neidonian if OPM is installed)
  • Dres renamed to 1 Dres. .....
  • 2 Atherva: Pallas Analogue. **....
  • 3 Heruno: Juno Analogue. **....
  • 4 Vestia: Vesta Analogue. **....
  • 85 Laith: 85 Io Analogue. (included as a joke about Jovian moons having asteroids of the same name) **...
  • 90482 Oolee: A smaller dwarf planet than Eeloo on the opposing side of the Sun. ****.
  • 136108 Haumecina: A rapidly spinning dwarf planet. ****.
  • 90377 Setune: A dwarf planet in a wildly elliptical and distant orbit. ****.
  • 67P Churimenko: A Jool-family comet. ***..
  • 1P Edmalley: A short-period comet. **...
  • 19P Bowling: A periodic comet. **...

And it occurs to me that I've spent 2 hours off and on making this list when I should be sleeping. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not sure if I'm gonna go along with this version or try something else. What say y'all?

tlbSIwn.png

h25ESWj.png

6HZ3JXH.png

I call this version "Lunar Mun" because it uses actual Lunar craters on the entirety of its surface. It's not the Moon's map copy-pasted on top of the Mun, it's a sampling from smaller, different parts of the Moon. Major features remain extant, but with realistic detail added. But there is a cost: the terrain looks just a bit too mushy and blocky. It looks OK. (Pics of the surface here) The finished version of this will probably be slightly brown as before and with an edited color map, so all you're seeing here is the more or less finished terrain heightmap.

Now there is an alternative to the complex heightmap and simple noise. Instead of this, I could do some more PQS-trickery that will actually replicate, in higher definition, the real geology of the Moon. The way it would work is this: We start with a well-chosen noise set up for medium-scale detail. We then add a heightmap, probably hand-painted, has large bowl craters and some "early" geological features. We flood them with lava by lowering the map below zero altitude and setting a PQSMod_FlattenOcean. We set a HeightColorMap to darken the regions that have been flattened to simulate the dark lava in the maria. We then add newer craters (procedural or height, or maybe both) on top of this, followed by a height color map and color map blend to finish the texture.

I know more or less how to do it. But it would be a difficult thing to do in practice, because it requires quite a bit of fiddling around with amny different interworking PQSmods. And it might not actually end up looking much better than this.

So that's why I have a poll for y'all.

http://www.strawpoll.me/12677862

The above example looks pretty neat. That 'griddy' terrain, though, is something I also see on RSS Moon. Wild guess here, could it be the result of a lot of small-scale / high-frequency variation in the heightmap? Perhaps a simple blur applied to the heightmap would smooth it out.

Just now, cantab said:

The above example looks pretty neat. That 'griddy' terrain, though, is something I also see on RSS Moon. Wild guess here, could it be the result of a lot of small-scale / high-frequency variation in the heightmap? Perhaps a simple blur applied to the heightmap would smooth it out.

A blur wouldn't help, but a lowering of the resolution would. I know what causes the problem, and the only solution is to apply more noise on top or to reduce the heightmap's resolution. Either way you get a reduction in detail, which may not be worth it. This is the main reason why I don't like heightmap-only planets.

If you wanted to have detailed, specifically shaped craters how about using no heightmap texture and generating the main terrain through the usual PQS techniques but then positioning the main craters by hand using MapDecal? Would that have a desirable effect?

https://github.com/GregroxMun/Revamped-Stock-Solar-System/releases/tag/0.6

qN9vgvE.png

• Added bodies:
    • Rimos: Asteroid moon of Duna/Ike. **...
    • Mix: Tiny lump of stuff around Eeloo. *....
  • Changed bodies:
    • Laythe, Vall, and Tylo are all now much closer to their stock sizes. *....
      • Done just in time for the KSP Subreddit's Jool Five challenge.
      • Tylo is made larger than Kerbin, but much less dense.
      • Vall is slightly smaller.
      • Laythe is slightly smaller, and has a slightly lower density. Atmosphere rescaled to match near-stock (From OhioBob's realistic atmospheres)
    • Vall no longer has the weird looking craters. *....
    • Tylo has been revamped again and again and again and again, and finally it looks good. ***..
    • Jool's stormy spot has been removed. *....
      • Removed from biome map too. *....
    • Gilly has been re-revamped. *....
      • Now uses Gilly's stock height to some extent, so it's not totally replacing everything from stock.
      • Darker, manually painted color map.
    • Removed most craters on Minmus, fixed zero-altitude craters.
Edited by GregroxMun

On 1. 4. 2017 at 1:27 AM, GregroxMun said:

I know I'm really late responding to this, but that method just doesn't work for me. When I load the quicksave, the clock resets and a lot of vessels just dissappear randomly. For example: I've had 2 space stations in the same 125x125km orbit, but after deleting RevSSS, one of them is gone. Is this a known issue? (btw I have a bunch of other mods installed. But that shouldn't affect Kopernicus).

Tvpy0Yg.jpg

19 hours ago, notJebKerman said:

I know I'm really late responding to this, but that method just doesn't work for me. When I load the quicksave, the clock resets and a lot of vessels just dissappear randomly. For example: I've had 2 space stations in the same 125x125km orbit, but after deleting RevSSS, one of them is gone. Is this a known issue? (btw I have a bunch of other mods installed. But that shouldn't affect Kopernicus).

I have no clue what to do then.

• 3 weeks later...

So... Is there a fix for Laythe looking like this?

yC8Kw5G.png

I already tried deleting everything inside GameData/Kopernicus/Cache... Didn't help.

The clouds are there from Para-Sci High Performance Atmosphere Pack (A config for EVE for potatoes :P)

Would hate to have to remove the mod just because one planet doesn't work... it looks so good!

P.S. This is my first post on KSP Forums, so if i'm breaking any etiquette/rules please tell me :)

5 min in and I am in love with this mod, but i have a similar problem as the last post in which laythe looks extremely bright even on the dark side. I'm using the revamped kerbal atmospheres for the eve and scatterer config. The fps also tanks when looking at it.

TYN6tD5.jpg

I don't go to Laythe much so it's not a game breaker for me, just feels off having a broken planet. Tons of thanks if you get around to this. 

Edited by Not Sure

• 3 weeks later...
@Kopernicus:FINAL
{
	@Body,*
	{
		@PQS
		{
			@Mods
			{
				@VertexHeightNoiseVertHeight:HAS[#noiseType[RiggedMultifractal]]
				{
					@noiseType = RidgedMultifractal
				}
				@VertexHeightNoise:HAS[#noiseType[RiggedMultifractal]]
				{
					@noiseType = RidgedMultifractal
				}
			}
		}
	}
}

If you want to use v0.6 in KSP 1.3, you'll have to add this patch somewhere in GameData in a .cfg file. It will fix all mods that have the old incorrect spelling of this noise type.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello to all

I  have been trying to get version .6 to work with ksp 1.3.

I have created a clean installation of ksp, installed the latest version of kopernicus, MM and RvSS.

I have also added the required mm config file from above and put it into the /GameData dir.

ksp when executed will run for a while and then lockup.

below is a link to a dropbox that has the ksp.log and a screenshot of the GameData dir.

link to dropbox data

any help or ideas would be appreciated.

many thanks for all of the work on this and all of your other mods.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.